Concealed Carry Permit - Legal Form of ID? - Page 2

Concealed Carry Permit - Legal Form of ID?

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Permit - Legal Form of ID? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Paymeister ?? VA nonresident permits have photos on them? Do resident permits have photos on them now? Seems a bit mall-ninja-ish to ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry Permit - Legal Form of ID?

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    ?? VA nonresident permits have photos on them? Do resident permits have photos on them now?

Seems a bit mall-ninja-ish to use that as your ID when you probably have a driver's license (unless somehow that was all you had with you). I would say using it for ID could be argued, but it would be better left in the wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    Why would you use your CPL as a form of ID? That's nutty...it's a Concealed Permit, not ID! No need to flash it around....

There are things you can legally do, and there are things you can legally do and shouldn't.

As others have said, concealed is concealed. Why would you want to be announcing to everyone that you have passed a background check and a simple hunting safety course? Oh, and you might have something worth $1,000 or more in your back pocket?

Consider the story I read about the guy open carrying a weapon in a convenience store. Cop noticed a tail light out and tries to tell him. Guy responds with "I don't have to talk to you", thinking he was going to get harassed about the gun. Very rude. Cop goes out side, gets in his car. Guy leaves, gets pulled over by cop and writes a ticket. Guy asks why he can't get a warning. Cop says - "What do you think I was trying to talk to you about in the store?!?"

Guy asked for it. So are you, flashing the CWP/CHL. Oh, and if you are needing ID to get in, it is a bar, and not a restaurant that serves liquor.

Why on earth would you use your Concealed Weapons Permit as ID? Without going into the yeas or nays of the acceptability of it as a legal form of ID, I'll just add to the consensus here: Bad idea.

Ox
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Why on earth would you use your Concealed Weapons Permit as ID? Without going into the yeas or nays of the acceptability of it as a legal form of ID, I'll just add to the consensus here: Bad idea.
    I'm going with what he said.
    Why would you WANT people knowing you have a CCW?
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TVille View Post

There are things you can legally do, and there are things you can legally do and shouldn't.

As others have said, concealed is concealed. Why would you want to be announcing to everyone that you have passed a background check and a simple hunting safety course? Oh, and you might have something worth $1,000 or more in your back pocket?

Consider the story I read about the guy open carrying a weapon in a convenience store. Cop noticed a tail light out and tries to tell him. Guy responds with "I don't have to talk to you", thinking he was going to get harassed about the gun. Very rude. Cop goes out side, gets in his car. Guy leaves, gets pulled over by cop and writes a ticket. Guy asks why he can't get a warning. Cop says - "What do you think I was trying to talk to you about in the store?!?"

Guy asked for it. So are you, flashing the CWP/CHL. Oh, and if you are needing ID to get in, it is a bar, and not a restaurant that serves liquor.

Flashing a CPL might make you think you look "cool", my opinion is that it makes you look foolish.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

How you use your permit is certainly your prerogative (assuming you do so legally). I tend to agree with others on this thread that the less people that know I have a permit the better. One of the advantages you may have in a situation where deadly force is required is that the assailant likely assumes you have no means to defend yourself (or at least limited means). Flashing your permit around may diminish that surprise factor. So the questions I would ask, is flashing your permit worth the risk of losing that edge?

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    The only reason to use my CP for CP reasons.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KSCarry View Post
    How you use your permit is certainly your prerogative (assuming you do so legally). I tend to agree with others on this thread that the less people that know I have a permit the better. One of the advantages you may have in a situation where deadly force is required is that the assailant likely assumes you have no means to defend yourself (or at least limited means). Flashing your permit around may diminish that surprise factor. So the questions I would ask, is flashing your permit worth the risk of losing that edge?
    Worse than that: in VA you can't (currently) carry concealed where they serve alcohol. So (if they don't know that law) showing your permit tells someone that you're likely to have a pistol on you and they'll they'll take you out first... or (if they DO know the law) tells them to jump you as you are unlocking your car so they can get the free gun you had to leave there.

Gotta give you some wisdom from my white hair and scars: if this doesn't apply to you please accept my sincere apologies - perhaps this will be useful for someone reading this later.

You are stuck with who you are, right now - any attempt at playing a different game means you'll lose (they other guys on their own field will always win). However, if you are good at being YOU (and build character and a store of accomplishments), all in all and taking one thing with another, you'll likely be a fine person. Win at YOUR game: you're interested in ____? Become an expert! You're good at ____? Figure out a way to get paid for it, so you can do a good job and establish financial security. You're stuck with you are right now, but that doesn't mean you need to stay there: grow! Establish excellence! Build character and conduct yourself with integrity.

A concealed carry permit is a legal hoop you jump through to be able to protect yourself: it is NOT a badge or a mall-ninja certification (look up "Gecko45" for an absolutely classic treatment of the subject). It is not a 'look, I'm cool' tool.

Quality women are impressed with character, integrity, and (I discover belatedly) being debt-free. You can buy the cheap ones, well, cheaper, if that's all you want, but beware: their small initial payment comes with hefty payments later. Instead, work on the character and integrity and get out of debt: BE a quality person instead of a pretender (what VISA promotes and flashing a permit suggests), and the quality women will be delighted to receive your advances. Without that, they'll run for the hills... and be entirely justified in doing so. (I know: as a young man I tried to impress the gals without success. In later years I worked on becoming who I should be. By God's grace - I mean that literally - I invested some years in growing up and stepping into man's estate, and am now happily married to a fine woman and we're coming up on our 22nd anniversary).

If it applies, you might try something I did to lay this type of thing to rest: as a young man I came to the realization that my interest in police work was far more centered on how cool a badge was rather than for good reasons. So to nail that coffin shut I went down to the local toy store and invested a buck in a kid's toy badge. I brought it home, tossed it on the bed, and announced dryly to myself, "OK, now I have a badge. Wow, am I cool." I threw the badge away and have been OK since. Maybe there's a related mind-game you can play with yourself that will help you see how silly this sort of thing looks to the outside observer. Seriously: you AS YOU are probably a fine fellow. Be that person, step into those shoes, join the real world, take on man's estate, and rejoice in the wonderful freedom that you don't have to compete with Donald Trump for wealth, Brad Pitt for a hot live-in, Bono for cheering fans, or Obama for arrogance. Oops. Well, you get the idea.

Wish you the best...
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by surprise View Post
    ID means drivers license, not your passport etc. Are you asking for trouble with the permit flashing? Concealed is concealed.
    ID does NOT mean drivers license? Where do people come up with these ideas?

Please explain how you would be asking for trouble.

The ID requirement in most states is a goverment issued photo ID card. This is a driver’s license or OTHER issued ID. You think that a Passport is not an ID....that's funny. how about an active duty military ID card? Is that ID?

Your mileage may vary as all states have slight variances in laws. But, ID does not "mean" drivers license.

"Concealed means concealed"? How is that relevant when he was not carrying?
    Last edited by mirage2521; March 20th, 2010 at 08:01 PM.
    Ogre likes this.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

I recommend using your regular license. There is no need for others to see your carry permit. Nothing good is going to come of anyone flashing their permit around. Most people have no clue what it is anyway.

Carry and Notification Requirements

The person to whom the permit is issued shall have such permit on his person at all times when he or she is carrying a concealed handgun in the Commonwealth and shall display the permit on demand by a law-enforcement officer. The person shall also present, upon request, a valid photo-identification issued by a government agency or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department.

Looks like Virgina doesn't consider it to be adequate for identification purposes either since you can be required to show other ID too.

Initially, for a first few months, Kansas had a combined DL and CHL but that was discontinued because a DL is valid for 6-years from your date of birth and a CHL valid for 4-years from date of issue.

After you receive the approval letter from the Kansas State Attorney General you take it to the DMV Drivers License office to have a photo taken for the State issued photo ID CHL. The Drivers License license number and Concealed Carry License identification number are the same.

On front face, the cards are identical except the Drivers License says "DL" with the Operators Class and eyeglass restriction while the concealed carry permit says "Concealed Carry License". On the rear face, the cards are identical except to say that you have to notify the DMV within 10-days of an address change and the Attorney General within 30-days.

When I am asked for a photo ID it is most often to verify a Credit Card. Eight out 10 times the person does not specifically ask for a DL, just a photo ID, and they look to see if the name is the same and the photo matches.

KoB
    In my opinion, flashing your CCW permit is like a 16 year old brand new driver who just got his drivers license doing donuts in the local parking lot in mom & pop's ford wagon…basically…SHOWING OFF!

But that's my opinion!!!

VIP Member

re: surprise Passport = ID

Quote Originally Posted by surprise View Post
    ID means drivers license, not your passport etc. Are you asking for trouble with the permit flashing? Concealed is concealed.
    You are right that concealed means concealed and the chl should--as a matter of good sense-- generally not be used as an ID.

What constitutes a valid id for specific purposes is based on either the law (if the law defines what the form of ID must be) or the custom or the proprietor. I've had businesses accept a AAA card as a form of ID. OTOH, the DL (or a State ID) is linked to the CHL here, and must be shown with the CHL. For this purpose a passport won't do.

Passports are official identification issued by the US government and are ID for just about every purpose imaginable. The only exception I have run into was with regard to applying for a Social Security number for my son when he was about 12 years old. For what ever reason, Social Security insisted that they get a birth certificate--as if the Passport Office had not already had the birth certificate when the passport was issued.

Now, it isn't wise to carry one around and use it that way. It costs too much money and takes too much trouble to replace one.

Many states will issue both a DL and a State ID. Here in Texas the State ID looks exactly like a DL except it says "Identification." It is good for just about anything except-- driving of course, and it isn't good if your CHL is linked to your DL instead of the State ID. The CHL can be linked only to one of these to my understanding.

I've boarded planes using all of these: DL, State ID, Passport, CHL.
    TSA doesn't care so long as it is government issued and has a photo.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I have not heard of many, if any, situation where the person showing an ID also needed to keep his "element of advantage" against the person he is showing his ID too. If you are showing an ID for identification purposes, it isn't very likely you will need to draw your weapon against that person. A state issued CWL/CHP is a valid form of ID in many states. It works very well as a second form of ID which is required in a lot of situations.

Also, just because you have the ID on hand doesn't mean you are necessarily "carrying" at that very moment. Matter of fact, many places you would use an ID may also be an area in which you should not be carrying.
    Ogre likes this.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I have not heard of many, if any, situation where the person showing an ID also needed to keep his "element of advantage" against the person he is showing his ID too. If you are showing an ID for identification purposes, it isn't very likely you will need to draw your weapon against that person. A state issued CWL/CHP is a valid form of ID in many states. It works very well as a second form of ID which is required in a lot of situations.

Also, just because you have the ID on hand doesn't mean you are necessarily "carrying" at that very moment. Matter of fact, many places you would use an ID may also be an area in which you should not be carrying.
    I agree with you.

On a few occasions the carry license has been on the top of the stack in my wallet, therefore it was the one in the window for viewing, I have used it as ID and probably will again, I carry 6 goverment issued ID cards, I use the one thats on top and in the window. WHO CARES?? if they know you have a CWL.

WHO CARES?? WOW paranoia runs deep here!
    Ogre likes this.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links