Concealed Carry Permit - Legal Form of ID? - Page 4

Concealed Carry Permit - Legal Form of ID?

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Permit - Legal Form of ID? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by wmhawth Using it to Proselytize? Interesting but not for me. There is no other purpose for me when I carry a license ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry Permit - Legal Form of ID?

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Using it to Proselytize? Interesting but not for me. There is no other purpose for me when I carry a license to conceal but protecting myself and my family. Unless there is something other than self defense on your agenda it just isn't a good idea to broadcast your carry status. They are welcome to see my drivers license or my passport. I'll keep my carry status a private ace in the hole.
    I respect your opinion.
    I would merely like to continue trying to understand the "OMG, someone might find out" mindset.

1. Keep it an ace in the whole from who, the clerk who needs to see a second form of ID? Do you think that clerk is a threat.

2. You carry your passport?

Let me stress, before I continue, I would never, specificly select my permit to use as ID, I will not on the other hand, waste any time trying to avoid it. In my opinion, just my opinion, lots of people make way, way, way to big a deal out of this. The BG at the ATM or gas pump or where ever you think you are ever going to need your CCW is not going to kow you have one. No matter who else knows, or if you told everyone at your table at lunch, the BG is stil not going to know.

Using it to "Proselytize" actually had never occured to me before mentioned above and I would never pull it out for that reason. I also doubt that TallyXD, has ever pulled his for that reason. On the other hand, if it is what is on top in the wallet, when someone wants ID for a credit card or check, it's coming out and if the person asks, heck yea I am telling them whatever they want to know about getting one of their own. There is no way I will ever believe that this somehow compromises my safety. Putting one more CCW on the street will help increase my safety by helping reducing crime overall.

Would you please illustrate a scenario within the realm of likelihood where using it as an ID would some how compromise your safety.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Interesting subject for discussion. I am an HR professional, and I work for a construction contracting company. ICE is currently doing a second round of I9 audits in the SE US. They aren't currently auditing in FL, but I figure it is only a matter of time, and that the construction industry is likely to see heavy audit activity. Since I've only had my job for about 6 weeks, I conducted my own internal I9 audit and found that my predecessor did a crappy job, so I had all my guys fill out a new I9 and reprocessed the paperwork. If you are unfamiliar with the form, you must produce identification of several types to prove your legal ability to be employed in the US. If you have a US Passport, that's all you need to produce (there are a few other types in "Column A" as well), otherwise it's "Produce one form of ID from column B and one from column C" Column B includes a DL, column B includes a social security card- the two things 99% of people produce. I had one guy give me a DL and FL CWP. In reading the "Column B" requirements, it fits. It is a form of identification issued by a state agency. Not what I would have chosen to use, but, his choice.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

VIP Member

Two forms of ID issue- re: bps3040

Quote Originally Posted by bps3040 View Post
    In Texas, when writing a check, they ask for 2 forms of ID.

I was not thinking, wrote a check....and was asked for a 2nd form of ID. I gave it and "she says I do not know if that qualifies"
    This reminds me of an incident I had at a bank where I am well known and was conducting routine business, purchasing a certificate of deposit.

Their computer has the clerk ask for two forms of ID. Of course I had my DL and CHL easily at hand, but the clerk said the bank wouldn't accept the CHL.

I thought a half second and asked, "will you take a AAA card." "Sure," the clerk answered, "so long as it has a membership number on it."

You just never know what some folks understand or what some managers tell their employees.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TVille View Post
    Oh, and if you are needing ID to get in, it is a bar, and not a restaurant that serves liquor.
    No. Bars are illegal in Virginia. Alcohol may only be sold for on-premises consumption at a restaurant.

As for ID to establish age, as far as I know the VA code only says the following:

4.1-304.

No person shall, except pursuant to subdivisions 1 through 5 of 4.1-200, sell any alcoholic beverages to any person when at the time of such sale he knows or has reason to believe that the person to whom the sale is made is (i) less than twenty-one years of age, (ii) interdicted, or (iii) intoxicated.

Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

4.1-305.

[...]
    B. No person under the age of 21 years shall use or attempt to use any (i) altered, fictitious, facsimile or simulated license to operate a motor vehicle, (ii) altered, fictitious, facsimile or simulated document, including, but not limited to a birth certificate or student identification card, or (iii) motor vehicle operator's license, birth certificate or student identification card of another person in order to establish a false identification or false age for himself to consume, purchase or attempt to consume or purchase an alcoholic beverage.
    [...]
    From a plain reading, this seems to indicate that the type of ID is irrelevant, and all that matters is that the seller reasonably believes you are over 21. Would a CHP with a picture do that? I can't see why not.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    VA resident permits do not have photo's, non-resident permits do. Personally I wish VA would adopt a better type of permit. The cheap card stock they use sucks. They already have the hardware and software available to issue a permit similar to Driver Licenses and State Photo ID cards.
    I laminated my cheap card stock VA permit and then I received my PA non-residents permit...a piece of paper.

FA has the right idea, looks like a driving permit.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Using it to Proselytize? Interesting but not for me. There is no other purpose for me when I carry a license to conceal but protecting myself and my family. Unless there is something other than self defense on your agenda it just isn't a good idea to broadcast your carry status. They are welcome to see my drivers license or my passport. I'll keep my carry status a private ace in the hole.
    Proselytizing, not really. I would love for more people to carry be it OC or CC and will share my point of view with any that ask. As a rule I don't force my beliefs on another person. It is just a second picture ID...I have no desire to leave the country so I have no need for a passport, I don't have any credit cards, I'm not military, so this leaves me rather short of means to identify myself since they wont take my word for it.
    Half the time I OC anyway, but where I live it's no big deal. I'm more likely to have the little old lady start chatting guns with me than to call a LEO
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

When I first got my CHL in Oregon I was told straightforwardly that it was NOT to be used as identification.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

in the local bars here, you must have a STATE issued ID. A passport won't work.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
    I respect your opinion.
    I would merely like to continue trying to understand the "OMG, someone might find out" mindset.

1. Keep it an ace in the whole from who, the clerk who needs to see a second form of ID? Do you think that clerk is a threat.

2. You carry your passport?

Let me stress, before I continue, I would never, specificly select my permit to use as ID, I will not on the other hand, waste any time trying to avoid it. In my opinion, just my opinion, lots of people make way, way, way to big a deal out of this. The BG at the ATM or gas pump or where ever you think you are ever going to need your CCW is not going to kow you have one. No matter who else knows, or if you told everyone at your table at lunch, the BG is stil not going to know.

Using it to "Proselytize" actually had never occured to me before mentioned above and I would never pull it out for that reason. I also doubt that TallyXD, has ever pulled his for that reason. On the other hand, if it is what is on top in the wallet, when someone wants ID for a credit card or check, it's coming out and if the person asks, heck yea I am telling them whatever they want to know about getting one of their own. There is no way I will ever believe that this somehow compromises my safety. Putting one more CCW on the street will help increase my safety by helping reducing crime overall.

Would you please illustrate a scenario within the realm of likelihood where using it as an ID would some how compromise your safety.
    Probably the biggest single problem with showing your CCW license as an ID are people who might want to steal your gun. Criminals often do have jobs you know (maybe for not that long but who knows?). Or if they think you might have money, they might take you out first and THEN rob you. Admittedly not very likely, but then neither are the odds of you ever needing your gun to stop a crime against you.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Tally XD, Go to the DMV & try to use your CWL as a ID= NO GO it's issude by the (D O A) ; )
    H/D
    Yes, but the D.O.A. is a state agency. Its a state issued ID/License. Why wouldn't it work? Just askin'
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    Really? I have a hard time believing your state law says that.

As a means of identification, a passport (from any country) supersedes any state-issued ID for credibility. Every state that I am aware of accepts a passport as primary proof of identity when applying for a driver's license.

For that matter, the purpose of a driver's license is to prove that you have passed the requisite tests to operate a motor vehicle on public streets and highways, not to prove one's identity.
    Ogre likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    Probably the biggest single problem with showing your CCW license as an ID are people who might want to steal your gun. Criminals often do have jobs you know (maybe for not that long but who knows?). Or if they think you might have money, they might take you out first and THEN rob you. Admittedly not very likely, but then neither are the odds of you ever needing your gun to stop a crime against you.

So your contention is that the danger and risk come from the clerk at Home Depot or Dillards wanting to steal my gun?
    Yocan

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post

So tourists from other countries cannot drink in bars in Kalifornia?

Seems rather unlikely.
    Yocan

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    Why would you use your CPL as a form of ID? That's nutty...it's a Concealed Permit, not ID! No need to flash it around....
    agreed. and especially in a bar!

In New York HSBC bank lists a NYS pistol permit as one of their appoved forms of ID

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links