military discharge question

This is a discussion on military discharge question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got an entry level separation, and if the FBI back ground check was thorough they saw I got an Article 15 in Basic, and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: military discharge question

I got an entry level separation, and if the FBI back ground check was thorough they saw I got an Article 15 in Basic, and I had no problems. Of course I live in Texas, but you stated your county was pro CCW.

As others have said, call them up and check. This way you can explain your OTH discharge and see what they say.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

Still, I'd petition to change that discharge to G under H cond's...........there well may be other times in your life ahead where you just DON'T want to have to continually explain yourself.

I know of law enforcement agencies that take OTH. There is also a three letter code that states the reason for your discharge. That could disqualfy you as well.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Other than honorable is not the same as "dishonorable".

True; but, it depends on what it was for. Only you know what for since most other licenses can even be given to a dishonable discharge.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

thanks for all your replies.
    i have not purchased a firearm. all 8 of mine were christmas presnets and my dad clearing out his safe. my fear is the reviewing officer having a personal grudes. i figure if the DOJ let me work around teens. id be ok legally. my dad has pushed me for years to up grade my status. guess today is the big "I TOLD YA SO" i WILL GIVE THEM A CALL. My pops is going to put one of his guns in my name for the permit application. my conceled carry purchace would be different than if i get denied.
    Last edited by rabbit91476; March 22nd, 2010 at 12:08 AM.

In general, DDs and BCDs are stoppers.

General, Administrative, Undesirable and Unfit For Service are generally not stoppers...

At least that is what I have seen in practice.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Your state, Commiefornia is not easy to deal with as far as your gun rights. Other than Honorable would not disqualify you in many "shall Issue" states. Be advised that trying to get your discharge upgraded is usually a years long process. I worked in the same bldg once where this was done for one branch and it was next to impossible to get any discharge changed.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    ATF Online

"The Gun Control Act (GCA) makes it unlawful for certain categories of persons to ship, transport, receive, or possess firearms. 18 USC 922(g). Transfers of firearms to any such prohibited persons are also unlawful. 18 USC 922(d).

These categories include any person:

* Under indictment or information in any court for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
    * convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
    * who is a fugitive from justice;
    * who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;
    * who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution;
    * who is an illegal alien;
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    * who has been discharged from the military under dishonorable conditions;
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    * who has renounced his or her United States citizenship;
    * who is subject to a court order restraining the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of the intimate partner; or
    * who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (enacted by the Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act of 1997, Pub. L. No. 104-208, effective September 30, 1996). 18 USC 922(g) and (n). "
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

As a vet also, here in NC if you have a dishonorable you can't even buy a gun. I was amazed to see this when I purchased my shot gun. It simply asks if you are vet and then ask if you have a honorable discharge. Answer no, no boom stick.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

The form asks if you have been discharged under dishonorable conditions, not whether you had anything other than an honorable discharge. There are levels between.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I also was (oth discharged) from the military back in 1982 because it just wasnt for me. It did not cause any problems with my CCW and I, Live in New York State one of the hardest states to get an CCW I also have my Pennsylvania License to carry Firearms Permit and my Florida Non-Resident Concealed Weapons Permit Good Luck To You never had any problems with application process or Investigation Process All I can say is Honesty is your best way to go
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member
    Scope Member
    New York permit
    Pennsylvania Permit
    Florida Permit

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit91476 View Post
    i was told that i can apply to have it changed to general under honorable conditions. but never had a reason to before today.
    These upgrades are not handed out as easy as some people think. You must prove that it was inequitable or improper.

After serving over 24 years myself and being discharged honorably, I think these upgrades are a slap in the face to us vets that man up and do the right thing. Iím glad it is very difficult to upgrade a less than honorable discharge.
    It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God such men lived."
    -General George S. Patton

USAF Master Sergeant, Retired

The DD214 you were issued will always be the same. What happens is that you are issued a DD215, corrcting your DD214. The only time I have ever heard of a DD215 being issued was to correct mistakes. The portion of the DD214 you would be concerned with is copy 4. The three main areas dealing with your situation are Character of Service, SEP Code and Recode. The three letter SEP Code gives the narrative for the reason for your separation. This is what tells what the separation was for. Even if the Charecter of Service is upgraded to General if the SEP Code is disqualifying for a owning a firearm or obtaining a permit, it would remain the same unless you proved it was incorrect.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Well said Sixgunner!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixgunner View Post
    These upgrades are not handed out as easy as some people think. You must prove that it was inequitable or improper.

After serving over 24 years myself and being discharged honorably, I think these upgrades are a slap in the face to us vets that man up and do the right thing. Iím glad it is very difficult to upgrade a less than honorable discharge.

Agree 100% well said........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links