Taught my first CCW class yesterday...

This is a discussion on Taught my first CCW class yesterday... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The first one is over! Going in to it I was about 60% excited and 40% nervious. I've been working on this since last October ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taught my first CCW class yesterday...

The first one is over!

Going in to it I was about 60% excited and 40% nervious. I've been working on this since last October when I got certified by the NRA as a pistol instructor. I put togther what I felt was a very thorough course, put together a powerpoint presentation, bought a used projector, etc. I wanted to include a lot of those things that generally aren't touched on in many CCW classes and leave people going "Well where do I go from here?"

Classroom portion when great. After we got through the basic pistol stuff that is required by the state and got in to the legal portion and "defensive mindset" people really got interested and started asking questions I think I really had them hooked and ready to learn more.

Range portion was terrible. Day before yesterday it was 60 degrees and sunny. Yesterday it snowed all day w/ 30 mph winds. The first round of shooters we had to deal with target stands blowing over! It was crazy. Second round of shooters we weighted them down and it went without a hitch. They were real troopers dealing with the cold. It was miserable, but they fought through. Everyone was safe and there were no injuries expect one guy got a bit of slide bite.

I had 10 in the class, which I thought was just about right for the first one.

From the class evalutation sheet I passed out, nearly everyone gave me a 10 out of 10 rating and said they really learned a lot.

I'm COMPLETLY EXHASUTED. Between the classroom part and the range, and setting up and taking down, there was a lot of work! Well worth it though. I hope they all had as good of a time learning as I did teaching; it seems like they did.

Awesome! Now that the first one is over, learn from it so you can enjoy the rest even more.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Congrats on your 1st class. Keep up the good work.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

Congrats!

Congrats!
    I have been instructing on a team of 3 for awhile now.
    Haven't done a solo class, but don't really want to at this point, as the three of us have a ball together. I usually take on most of the range portion.

Sounds like your baptism is over; from here on out you will just improve. Good job!
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Congrats, I went through the same thing, that first class is nervous time. I was the same way and they were firiends. I was nervous about the class, the paper work and the qualification.
    Whew, the second was easier and the third a cinch.

That’s great.

If I were in that class, I would appreciate the experience of shooting in that weather... Something I have yet to practice in.

I can go to an indoor range if I want perfect environmental conditions whenever I want.

Congrats!

I hope to have my certification in June. The state of Texas only certifies CHL instructors once per year. I was set to do it last year but my wife had unexpected surgery and I had to miss the class to play nurse maid to the nurse (my wife has been a RN for 29 years). I made the right choice!

I am an instructor in the Semiconductor industry and an Instructor for the NRA. I understand the nerves... it will get better, believe me. I have been teaching now for the last 10+ years. The nerves left quickly. Preparation is the key to success in teaching any class.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Is the NRA certification the only thing required for most states to be an instructor? From there, do you need anything else for a class (insurance, etc.)?

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Congrats! Proud for you and keep up the great work!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Ain't it a hoot?
    I've done 8 classes now, with one set up for next weekend. Here's a little hint....I found toy semi-automatics for $5/each at a flea market. The slides work, the magazine comes out and the trigger makes a delightful "snap". They are wonderful for classroom practice of grip, sighting and trigger pull exercises.

Congrats and welcome to the fray!

Just remember when you're solo you have a crappy boss but he's always there for clean up.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys!

In Missouri, one of the ways to be applicable to teach CCW courses is being a certified instructed by the NRA in pistol or personal defense. From there, you have to provide your course materials and information to each sheriff's department, IF they require it. Some departments don't require you to submit your info and say if you're cleared by the state and cover the required topics you're fine for their county.

One of my main goals for this course was to take everything that I felt was lacking in courses I have taken (or complaints I had heard from others) and improve upon it. Seems at this point, that everyone was pleased (again with the exception of the weather!)

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    In AZ you must establish a Corporation or work for one (EASY!!!!) to limit liability.

Great job! Keep it up, will only get better with your hard work and determination. Congrats!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links