Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun?

This is a discussion on Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; lets see. I would say mine is about as reliable as it be; 35,000+ rounds with no failures. Of course, I am a big fan ...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun?

lets see. I would say mine is about as reliable as it be; 35,000+ rounds with no failures. Of course, I am a big fan of hard chroming, I believe that adds quite a bit to the equation since you plate a very hard coating of metal over existing parts to extend their longevity.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    If a gun isn't reliable, it isn't a carry gun!
    All of mine function exactly the way they are designed to.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

GM
    So far 100%. But important to consider is that I carry a BHP and a MK9 Elite
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    If a gun isn't reliable, it isn't a carry gun!
    All of mine function exactly the way they are designed to.
    +1 Very good....

Jams ... and the one that got away

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    I had a brand-new FNP-9 jam and jam and jam, until it started loosening up.
    In the early 1990's, a Browning BDM 9mm did this to me. Until 10,000 to 12,000 rounds, it was a little finisky and obviously still stiff. I don't know exactly what they used in the steel of the barrel and the slide/rails, but it took that long to loosen up on its own. None of this "200rds, then good to go" garbage. It took a long time.

But, once it had broken in, it quite literally was as "slick as butter." It ran nearly perfectly for the remaining 30K rounds that I had it, and DID run perfectly the final 10K. It could be run clean or dirty, oiled or greased, dripping or dry, in the rain or not, dusty or clean. It was like the Energizer Bunny, in that it kept going ... and going ... and going. Beautiful. The way every defensive firearm should be.

The fly in the ointment? I sold the thing. I have no excuses. Blown synapse that month. There is just no other explanation. Too bad. While in need of a freshening of the springs, and a thorough going over by a gunsmith, it was at that moment (in spite of only really being worth ~$300 to anyone else) quite possibly the most functionally perfect gun I had ever handled. And I sold it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

P11 still running flawlessly! Had one round FTF (Dent on the primer and no go) but it fired on the second strike. The only feed errors were because of a bad magazine that wasn't stock.
    $cris@caferacer>wakeup.sh
    sudo apt-get install caffeine
    Password:
    Unpacking...
    Caffeine installed correctly
    $cris@caferacer>startday.sh

I carry a SIG, need I say more?
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

I carry a Glock 23. I have fired about 3000 rounds through the gun during the last year. No failures.

My wife has a CZ-75B 9MM. It is a fantastic gun. Hers probably has less then 500 rounds that have been fired through it. For her birthday she got (from her son, no less) a CT-Laser grip. Before I installed the laser I unloaded it. I realized the hammer would not come down. I checked it, cleaned it, looked at it -- nothing. So I took it to a local gunsmith the next day. He completely dis-assembled it and found some piece of lint inside that had some how jammed the safety. He called it a million-to-1 freak thing that he had never seen before -- and he has been a gun smith for over 30 years.

Does she still trust her CZ? -- you bet. But she checks it more often now.

Do I like shooting her CZ -- you bet! It is incredibly accurate and very easy to shoot.

Will I keep carrying my Glock? What do you think?
    ....a politically incorrect right-wing fiscally-conservative libertarian NRA card-carrying gun-toting self-sufficient gainfully-employed Bible-believing church-going fundamentalist evangelical Christian. Perhaps you should avoid my company. I might contaminate you.

the only firearm I've owned that I wouldn't carry was my Raven 25 auto. That think would FTE about every 30 rounds but I got it for 50 bucks and my 10year old cousin loves shooting it so it's worth it to keep around.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

My 40 year old Llama 111a 380 has a bad case of FTE.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Yes.... and even though the company reworked it totally, replacing everything except the barrel .... it sits in the closet. I just can't bring myself to trust the gun again.

A few years ago I wanted a cheap gun to carry in my pick up. I found just what I was looking for. A 9mm made by Standard Arms of Nevada (now out of business). After buying the gun, I put about 10 or 20 rounds through it and put it in my pick up. A couple of months later I took the 9mm out to put some rounds through it. It fired the first round and the slide blew off. This alone was bad enough, but the really bad part was I had been counting on this gun to protect myself and family while traveling. The lesson learned, always buy a quality weapon and ammo. My everyday carry weapon now is a Glock 21. No problems with this weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by hog n glock View Post
    A few years ago I wanted a cheap gun to carry in my pick up. I found just what I was looking for. A 9mm made by Standard Arms of Nevada (now out of business). After buying the gun, I put about 10 or 20 rounds through it and put it in my pick up. A couple of months later I took the 9mm out to put some rounds through it. It fired the first round and the slide blew off. This alone was bad enough, but the really bad part was I had been counting on this gun to protect myself and family while traveling. The lesson learned, always buy a quality weapon and ammo. My everyday carry weapon now is a Glock 21. No problems with this weapon.
    Sounds like the SA-9, made by the same folks who made the ultra-high quality Lorcin guns. Basically pot metal; and the frames were said to crack after a few hundred rounds: A true collectible.

-Bill

I bought a used Para 14-45 from my local gun dealer in Olive Branch Mississippi. Put five rounds through it and the LDA trigger went CRAP!

Quote Originally Posted by Will B. Droopy View Post
    Have you ever had your carry gun break on you? Did that failure make you nervous about that particular make/model/type's dependability? Did it make you feel that a lead pipe was the only 100% reliable weapon in this world for self defense? ()

What I'm talking about here is only if a particular make/model had a part's breakage after firing a lifetime of under a few thousand rounds, or was a complete jam-o-matic.

Any similar occurrences with your CCW firearm?

-Bill
    I purchased a Sig P229 (.40)back in the late 90's that wouldn't go more than 10 rounds without getting FTF problems. After 7 to 10 rounds it would NOT eat ANYTHING I feed it. After a year of having it 'looked' at and working with it, still no joy. I got rid of it.

I loved the 'feel' of that sidearm and it carried wonderfuly, but I couldn't trust it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links