Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun?

This is a discussion on Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Will B. Droopy Sounds like the SA-9, made by the same folks who made the ultra-high quality Lorcin guns. Basically pot metal; ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Will B. Droopy View Post
    Sounds like the SA-9, made by the same folks who made the ultra-high quality Lorcin guns. Basically pot metal; and the frames were said to crack after a few hundred rounds: A true paperweight.

-Bill
    Here Bill, I fixed that for you
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

2. Remove Ads

I carry a Glock 19. No problems. No misfires, failures to feed, failures to eject, nothing. I love that gun.
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    CCW: Glock 19 Gen 3 (9mm) w/ Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster
    Magtech Hollow-points

i agree with him ^^^^^^^^^

I bought a Taurus PT145 for a carry gun. When I took it to the range it stove piped several times. Needless to say its not my carry gun.

I use a S&W 4516 which has never given me any trouble but I am still looking for a good BUG and carry method for same.

my carry guns are a glock and/or a s&w j-frame. don't need to say anthing more.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    My Ruger GP100 is just right for me.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Never had a carry gun fail on me. But, as any mechanical object wil fail, I am sure it will happen sooner or later. That is why it is important to practice regularly and to tear down and inspect your carry gun regularly.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I've been carrying weapons since I was 18 years old, now 63+. Never had an issue. Shoot at least twice a month and clean them afterwards!

My H&K P2000SK 9mm has been flawless, over the first 500rds. Ammo tested has covered JHP and FMJ, weights 115/124/147gr, hot +P with 500 ft-lbs of energy to under-powered range rounds with ~300 ft-lbs. It seems to handle everything. It's accurate with each of my JHP loads. With the speedy DoubleTap 9mm JHP Bonded Defense (Speer GD) 124gr +P, it's powerful and accurate. At 10+1 with two spare mags, the primary pistol is covered.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Never had a carry gun fail on me. But, as any mechanical object wil fail, I am sure it will happen sooner or later. That is why it is important to practice regularly and to tear down and inspect your carry gun regularly.
    That brings up an interesting point.

I've got a new STI Shadow 1911 in .45 ACP that's currently undergoing break-in. It's apparently extremely tight, as it's having trouble with feeding properly. Though, without gauges and measurements, there isn't anything that outwardly signifies anything is wrong.

It would be wonderful to have a computerized scan of the path the cartridge takes into the chamber, showing the feed ramp, the throat, the chamber, in terms of shape and specs. Imagine being able to compare that against a dozen other known pistols of the same make and vintage. Imagine having the same sort of detailed view of both the guns and the cartridges that work.

THEN, armed with that info, one could likely tell what'll work and what won't. Short of that, it's darned hard to tell simply by looking, stripping, cleaning and doing the basic inspections we all perform. About all we can look for is dings, scratches, dirt and other fouling. Which isn't much.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've had my G30 six years now without a single malfunction of any kind.

Nope. But an LE acquaintance told me a scary story involving his primary issue weapon malfunctioning on him during an active gun fight. That was enough to convince me to carry a backup, even if I do carry mostly glocks.

The weapon in question was a G21.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Glocks have had trigger springs break (as well as a few other parts) and keep right on ticking.
    After about 10 years of ownership and many, MANY rounds, my G19's trigger return spring broke. I wouldn't say it "kept right on ticking" because that would have caused serious troubles had I REALLY needed it. It would (obviously) NOT fire until I figured out what happened. After I did, I realized I could push the trigger forward manually and it would fire the next round. I would have to manually reset the trigger each time, but the gun was not completely out of commission. Thankfully, it was a very easy, quick and cheap fix.

For my pocket carry pieces, I carried Kel-Tec P3ATs (1st and 2nd gen), but never felt fully comfortable with them as they seemed "cheap" and not very durable. I also had serious reliability issues with them at first, but mostly got the bugs worked out. They would still jam on occasion at the range, but I carried them because they were the easiest and best option at the time. Then I finally found a Kahr PM9 in person and the Kel-Tecs only see range time once in a blue moon these days. The PM9 has been dead solid reliable since purchased in 2005. I pocket carry it just about every day and shoot/practice with it every single time I go to the range. It's a shooter despite its small size.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I've been carrying weapons since I was 18 years old, now 63+. Never had an issue. Shoot at least twice a month and clean them afterwards!
    Impressive...if a tad unbelievable...

G19 at present, G17 for years prior. Never had a single problem. Glock for life.

Quote Originally Posted by NbleSavage View Post
    G19 at present, G17 for years prior. Never had a single problem. Glock for life.
    Quoted for truth. Have shot 3-4k rounds through my G19, never a hiccup. For pump guns, my Mossberg 500 that was picked up second hand has never had an issue with hundreds of rounds, buckshot, slugs through it.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links