Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun? - Page 6

Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun?

This is a discussion on Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had the right side after-market grip break on my Beretta Tomcat. Tomcats are apparently notorious for putting excessive pressure on the grip. It is ...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun?

I had the right side after-market grip break on my Beretta Tomcat. Tomcats are apparently notorious for putting excessive pressure on the grip. It is caused by the design of the mainspring in the grip, I believe. Moral of the story, most guns are best left as stock as possible. They have been designed and tested stock, not "customized"!
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Adameeski View Post
    Moral of the story, most guns are best left as stock as possible. They have been designed and tested stock, not "customized"!
    Don't let the 1911 crowd hear you say that!

My Taurus CH85 Revolver is 100% reliable as long as the ammo is good...My Ruger SR9c has been 100% reliable in over 500 rounds with anything EXCEPT WWB. so thats good to go also .

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    My Ruger SR9c has been 100% reliable in over 500 rounds with anything EXCEPT WWB.
    What does it do with WWB? That would cause suspicion with me for any gun that would not run that ammo, especially if it was reliable with everything else. WWB is good, plain vanilla plinking/range ammo. Nothing unusual about it at all. Never had a problem with it in any of my guns of various manufacturers.

VIP Member
    yes I feel confident in my weapons being reliable
    I've punished my glocks and HK with no hiccups (other than a used mag on the HK I bought that had a weak spring)

the only issue I've had is my Keltec P11 ejector broke this past Christmas, had the pistol since 2006 with no hiccups
    I got a free replacement from Keltec and it works great again, but that was disappointing

with all that said.....it never fails that Mr Murphy will visit me when I least expect it, so on my job I carry a backup (642) and now most of the time when I got out with the family the 642 is in my pocket while the G30 is on the hip
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Very reliable....because it is usually a revolver...and then there are the Glocks.....so I have not had a problem. The snubbies all work....and the G19 and G20 have not failed.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

Never did mind carrying the sp101. Click bang. As reliable as it gets. Then got glock. The 21 was just too bulky, "demoted" to HD. The 36... now that is Reliable and Fun.

Either Glock or Ruger revolver.... never fail.
    Glock 36 with Lasermax / Glock 23 / Glock 21. Ruger SP101. Taurus 85.

DZSG (Designated Zombie Survival Gun) = 870 Remington Tactical Shotgun

S&W 642/640/637, Glock 23 and Mossberg 500. Take care of them, shoot nothing but quality ammo and have had zero problems. Don't intend to ever change.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I have a P3at that had a trigger issue, if squeezed it would bottom out before going bang. Kel Tek fixed that and if I run +p or Magtek ball it runs fine, never a problem. I also have a PF9 and it has never failed except with some hand loads that were way on the high side after inserting cast bullets. I think the chamber may be slightly tight. Never a problem with W white box, Remington HP and several flavors of self defence rounds. I also have a 9mm Glock and it has never had ANY problems.

First malfunctions with the Kimber, and odd ones at that.

Shooting from a supportive kneeling position, the first time I had with that firearm, the slide prematurely locked back after every round for 14 out of 16 rounds. I ejected the mags several times during the "problem spree" to check the rounds had not moved forward in the magazine or anything, and they hadn't. The rounds all looked to be the same length. The two times it didn't happen (two mags of 8 rounds each), as well as 2 or 3 times it did, were from a standing position as I tried to figure out what was going on.

After those 14, nothing ever happened. Winchester white box, .45 ACP.

The internets say it's the nose of the bullet brushing the slide stop as it's stripped from the mag, but I've never gotten it to repeat, 130ish rounds later as well as hundreds prior.

The slide stop was raising just barely enough to stop the slide. Not all the way up.

As far as riding the stop goes, my firing hand thumb was on the safety holding down, and my support thumb was forward of the slide stop on the frame.

Thoughts?

Not one failure or malfuction from any weapon I have ever owned. I dont plan on that changing anytime soon. Yet I do know it is bound to happen. A very nice BUG will help ease the mind though.

Quote Originally Posted by faif2d View Post
    I also have a PF9 and it has never failed except with some hand loads that were way on the high side after inserting cast bullets.
    "Way on the high side." Meaning, the OAL was too long, they were loaded "hot" (pressure/velocity)? What did you find to be "high"?

I've got a PF9 and am wondering what might explain some failures to feed I've had on it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

H&K USP .45c = 100% over 1,800 rounds
    G27 = 100% with full power loads, 2 FTE's WW White box, 800 rounds
    G23 = 100% over 300 rounds

Have owned 5 1911's over the years, various makes. IMHO anyone's 1911 will offer up an FTF/FTE at any time with no warning. Yet I always have one around and would not hesitate to carry it.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

There are many guns I would like to acquire and carry, but the absolute reliability of my G27 over 12 years precludes that. My S&W 442 is shot very little but I trust it.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    My current regular carry guns have neither malfunctioned nor broken. I did carry an S&W Model 58 in the 1980's, as a duty and CC weapon, that suffered a broken mainspring. Of course, once I replaced the spring, I trusted it again as much as any mechanical device can be trusted. Some autopistols I have carried, and/or still carry on occasion, malfed a bit during early break-in.

I do have some revolvers that will get really tight and hard to work if I shoot dirty-burning ammo in them, but they work fine with cleaner-burning defensive ammo. Powder residue under the extractor is the culprit, and this is easily cleaned.

I have gotten rid of my problematic pistols, such as my three kimbers.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Sponsored Links