Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun?

This is a discussion on Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Only gun I've ever had a real problem with was my Kahr PM9. After much work, it was 98%, but over the past 3-4 weeks, ...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun?

Only gun I've ever had a real problem with was my Kahr PM9. After much work, it was 98%, but over the past 3-4 weeks, I've put another 250 rounds through, and it has been perfect.

I'm slowly starting to trust it again. Not quite yet, but I can see how I might someday. Glad I didn't sell it.

Of course, the journey took me to the Dark Side (G19, 26)
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

2. Remove Ads

S&W 9mm fs M&P

thousands of rounds thru it....super reliable. Nuthin' but praise...and confidence.

I know that if I ever need it, I'll have a billion other things to worry about, and that (FTF) wont be one of them.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I have a 30 year old Ruger 22 single action in stainless that failed sitting on the shelf. I put it away working and 2 years later I took it out for plinking and the cylinder would not advance when the hammer was pulled back. Ruger replaced an internal part that failed, apparently at the exact moment of my last shot some 2 years earlier . . .Go figure!. . .you just never know. We all just assume our vehicle brakes are going work the next time we need them too....don't we?

My carry guns. . . .
    Gen-1 Glock 17 with 5000+ rounds and never a failure in any way.
    Bersa 380cc with 500+ rounds with no failure to date.
    Ruger LCR with 250+ rounds and functions flawlessly.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

My XD9 Service has been through a few thousand rounds since I bought it about 5 years ago and I have yet to have a failure with this weapon regardless of ammo or shooter. I replaced the guide rod and return spring maybe 2 years ago for a lighter wolf unit but other than that, it's completly stock and utterly reliable.

Clean, dirty, upside-down, inside-out, left hand, right hand, 2 hands, you name it. The gun hasn't so much as hiccuped the entire time I have owned it. Is it going to go "BANG!" if I need to pull it out to do what's neccesary? I'm sure it will. But if it doesn't for some astronomically insane reason, I am trained and prepared to deal with that scenario if it does occur.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

It's a Glock 23. Enough said.

My Walther PPK/S misfed a few times when it was new, that led me to be a bit nervous carrying. Can't say that I knew the ammo I was using but I've stuck with Magtech Ball in that gun and my .45. Never had an issue with my snubby .38 hammerless Smith or any other pistols.

Jim

My CBOB has been perfect except for twice I had to touch the slide with my thumb to go into battery. That was between round 200-250 right after I bought it. I am near one thousand rounds now.

Sled

Being new, I only have one gun and it's a Glock 23. The only problem I've had is when I bought a couple of boxes of reloads and they would jam up the gun. I don't use them anymore and have had no problems since.

Glock plus trigger pull = boom. (2000+ rounds with nary a problem).

Same thing for M&P 40C with 500+ rounds through it.

Never had a breakage, only a couple of miss-feeds when using crappy (but cheap) ammo. But, through several years, when I pull the trigger, it goes "BANG".
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Unlike most threads, I have not read all the way through this one because it seemed to me to be a rather dumb question.

Is there ANYONE who knowingly carries a firearm for defense of their life (and their family members) that ISN'T reliable?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I just sold my KelTec PF9... THANK GOD, that thing was as unreliable as they come. I did every fluff and buff trick in the book and it would jam every three to four shots regardless.

I got a new Kahr PM9 and that thing is a dream come true compared to the PF9. I went to the range today and tried everything I could to make the PM9 jam and I couldn't. I limp wristed 5 different ammo types, shot off of the table, even fired a couple of shots with one finger on the trigger and one on the back of the grip (only one shot in magazine) and it refused to misfeed or jam

I love the feel of the Kahr PM9, the balance, the trigger, the recoil, the sights, and the build quality. Interesting that it shot the best groups with Golden Saber over Gold Dot.... Both had tight groups but Golden Saber was better. I'll try CorBon next.

I have similar good luck with the Ruger LCP, great gun for a .380 and ZERO jams or malfunctions.

I have never had a failure on any gun I've carried. My Ruger Mark III has a bunch of issues (it's actually back at Ruger right now), but I don't ever carry a .22LR gun for self-defense so it's not really an issue.

Let's see, what have I carried on me...

Bulgarian Makarov - ~2000 rounds, no failures
    Hi-Point C9 - ~500 rounds, no failures (I was surprised, but I guess I got a good one)
    CZ 75B - ~800 rounds, no failures (this is my IPSC firearm, never had a failure)
    Glock 26 - ~100 rounds, no failures

Honestly, I think it comes down to maintenance. I am *extremely* anal when it comes to keeping my firearms clean. I field strip and clean after every trip to the range, and I detail strip and clean it every 3-4 trips.

Also I do my research before buying a firearm.

I had a jam today with my carry 1911. It's a Kimber Ultra CDP II Custom Shop. It double fed. Jammed tight, I had to rack the slide 1/4 in and drop the mag to clear the jam. Luckily they let start over. I'm not sure a BG would give me a do over. It is a fairly new firearm, about 200 rounds. I was for sure not limp wristing, the range officer said I had a good tight grip and it was even going off target when I was firing. It was a little dry, so they said to oil the slide with Mobil 1. I'll try again next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Unlike most threads, I have not read all the way through this one because it seemed to me to be a rather dumb question.

Is there ANYONE who knowingly carries a firearm for defense of their life (and their family members) that ISN'T reliable?
    Yes. Last year I worked a Department of State counter-narcotics contract in Afghanistan where we literally had a firefight every day with druggies or poppy growers. We carried Bushmaster AR15s that were typical Bushmaster junk, with the wrong sized chambers, unstaked gas keys and bolts evidently made from some grade of paper-mache'.

It was not uncommon for half the guns on the crew to go down during a firefight.

Your choice was to quit and go home, or to roll out the next day. It took over a month to get the tools all they way down in Helmand province to fix what we could of the carbines. But, something was better than nothing, and you got really good at clearing malfunctions in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    I had a jam today with my carry 1911. It's a Kimber Ultra CDP II Custom Shop. It double fed. Jammed tight, I had to rack the slide 1/4 in and drop the mag to clear the jam. Luckily they let start over. I'm not sure a BG would give me a do over. It is a fairly new firearm, about 200 rounds. I was for sure not limp wristing, the range officer said I had a good tight grip and it was even going off target when I was firing. It was a little dry, so they said to oil the slide with Mobil 1. I'll try again next week.
    Kimber is having all kinds of QC problems. I currently would not buy or recommend anyone else buying one of their pistols. I believe their huge amount of advertising has either increased sales to the point where they cannot handle it, or they are spending QC money on advertising.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Links