Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun?

This is a discussion on Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Majorlk Is there ANYONE who knowingly carries a firearm for defense of their life (and their family members) that ISN'T reliable? Hey, ...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Is there ANYONE who knowingly carries a firearm for defense of their life (and their family members) that ISN'T reliable?
    Hey, Lon, how's little ol' Naugatuck these days?

In answer to your question...yes...people do it every day. They're called Kel-Tec P3AT carriers. Oh sure, it "might" have fired a few hundred reliable rounds, but breakage/malfunction with those things is ALWAYS right around the corner. Even my two "reliable" and heavily massaged P3ATs by Kel-Tec still jam more than I'd like. I used to carry them, but not any more...

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by thekubiaks View Post
    I just sold my KelTec PF9... THANK GOD, that thing was as unreliable as they come. I did every fluff and buff trick in the book and it would jam every three to four shots regardless.
    And, boom! There ya go on the very next post with the Kel-Tecs.

I got a new Kahr PM9 and that thing is a dream come true compared to the PF9. I went to the range today and tried everything I could to make the PM9 jam and I couldn't.
    Good move. I did the exact same thing years ago with the PM9. It's my everyday pocket carry and has never let me down.

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Yes. Last year I worked a Department of State counter-narcotics contract in Afghanistan where we literally had a firefight every day with druggies or poppy growers. We carried Bushmaster AR15s that were typical Bushmaster junk, with the wrong sized chambers, unstaked gas keys and bolts evidently made from some grade of paper-mache'.

It was not uncommon for half the guns on the crew to go down during a firefight.

Your choice was to quit and go home, or to roll out the next day. It took over a month to get the tools all they way down in Helmand province to fix what we could of the carbines. But, something was better than nothing, and you got really good at clearing malfunctions in the meantime.

Kimber is having all kinds of QC problems. I currently would not buy or recommend anyone else buying one of their pistols. I believe their huge amount of advertising has either increased sales to the point where they cannot handle it, or they are spending QC money on advertising.
    I concede your point, but that's somewhat different from the average civilian carrier.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by ookoshi View Post
    I have never had a failure on any gun I've carried. Honestly, I think it comes down to maintenance.
    Cleaning ain't it. I'm fairly retentive with firing very clean guns, except for when I'm doing the portion of my break-in vetting that involves shooting them dry and dirty to see where the limits are. Otherwise, they run very clean and well-lubed, with fresh springs where appropriate.

Reason for failures? It's probably ~75% selection of the gun to begin with, and ~25% luck of the draw. Cleaning regimen has little to do with it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ookoshi View Post
    I have never had a failure on any gun I've carried.
    Not even ammo related? I find that HARD to believe. If that's truly the case, then you simply haven't shot a single one of those guns enough. Not by a LONG shot...pun intended...

Kel-Tec P-11 vs. Taurus 606

I have been carrying a Taurus 606 since about 1999, the same gun. I have put umpteen million rounds through it. It did break once and that was on a shooting range back in 2006 or so. Taurus USA was great and got the gun back to me in record time and have put another 1000 rounds of .357 mag and .38 Spl through it since then. It is a revolver and is a reliable one at that.

Recently hover I purchased a Kel-Tec P-11, a semi-auto 9mm that would take the mags from my S&W 5906 (supposedly). My first trip at the range showed me that this gun would jam repeatedly (this was after a good cleaning) and that most of the Smith mags would not seat without extra work on my part.

I like the weight of the KT over the Taurus but unless I can get it to run true through at least 500 rounds I might have to let it go; I even picked up the clip for it and its weight is awesome but really....

How does anyone else feel about their KT's or 606's (or similar)?
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns.
    Bruce Lee

I will say this much , my Glock model 17 with about 15,000 rounds has NEVER failed to go bang, no matter what I fed it, but I stick with US made round. It will never fail me. That's what an awful lot of LE, military etc, believe too Mike

Robert A. Heinlein, is/was, a science fiction writer, get FICTION. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bsybeingborn View Post
    Robert A. Heinlein, is/was, a science fiction writer, get FICTION. Mike
    And your point is?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Shin71 View Post
    How does anyone else feel about their KT's or 606's (or similar)?
    Kel-Tec experience only here... P11: Reliable, decent shooter, TERRIBLE trigger. Never carry it.

Two 2nd gen P3ATs: "Sort of" reliable, mediocre shooters, EXCELLENT carry platform, so-so trigger. Don't carry either one...anymore.

P11 is a solid gun that I would carry if I didn't have better choices. P3ATs are not solid guns in a "cheapo novelty" sense. They really do seem like something that would be handed out as a party favor. Those are just my opinions on what I ACTUALLY own, so keep that in mind if you're going to flame.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    Kel-Tec P3-AT....

I bought one brand new for times that I could not cover my Glock 26 well enough. It fits in my pocket for when summer gets hot and I wear no shirt. A.380 is better than nothing... right? I got it home and loaded it up, first shot jammed, second shot jammed, and the third was a ftf. The failure to fire was due to a broken trigger mechanism. Back to the gunshop I went! They sent it back to the factory for me. I got it back and the first magazine fired properly, but the second jammed and the trigger mechanism BROKE AGAIN. The gunshop owner was a little embarassed and offered to give me a refund or swap it out this time. I asked if I could trade it for an LCP Ruger and he was happy to do that. The Ruger has yet to jam or fail to fire.

I will not own another Kel-Tec, and I carry my Glock allot more now...

Ice Man I know how one brand can give you a very bad taste.

I have that bad taste with Taurus P -22

I had two brand new ones break I traded the 2 nd one for a Kel - tec

.32 it's been flawless like my P 3-AT. I will never own another

Taurus for that so I know what you mean when you loose all trust.

Not a good feeling.

If I ever see a Ruger LCP in person, I'd seriously inquire as to whether or not they'd take TWO relatively new 2nd generation P3ATs (one entirely replaced and the other rebuilt by KT) with a crapload of spare magazines and parts for a trade. Although I carry the PM9 every day, I still want a pocket popper in the .380 class.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have my reliable handguns placed in strategic locations around my house just
    because it's the right thing to do in this day and age.I tend to have a glock 17
    or glock 26 on my person.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Below are current and past guns I have had. I have had much experience with ammo problems (squib, hang fire, failure to go at all). Experiences with the guns are listed ONLY with gun failures or lack there of.

The p32. It would FTE quite a bit.

The PF9 has never jammed or failed to fire. (but was a you know what to shoot...)

The P3AT has never jammed or failed to fire.

The beretta jetfire has never jammed or failed to fire.

The beretta 92sbc failed to chamber the last round and locked the slide open but was most likely a problem with the magazine.

The M&P has never jammed or failed to fire.

The XD has never jammed or failed to fire.

The revolvers have never jammed or failed to fire.

The para 1911 has never jammed or failed to fire.

the 3rd gen smiths have never jammed or failed to fire.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Wow... Been a long time since I've darkened these virtual doors...

I hear KelTecs getting a lot of bad rap. My old man has 2, the PF-9 and the P-3AT. I know that PF-9 has over 600 rounds through it and not a single failure of any kind (yet, knock on wood.) The P-3AT doesn't have that many through it, but it's a click-bang affair. (Possible "Failure" includes pain in the hand(s) after extended shooting sessions... )

My first carry was my father's GLOCK 19. Loved it, still do. Probably around 1,500+ rounds through it with never an issue. Had an issue with some ammo after that, though I can't remember the manufacturer. But since, we've put easily another 500+ through it with no other trouble. I'm willing to bet money that it was the ammunition, so there. Never any other failures with me or my old man. The SO had a bit of a problem limp-wristing, but once she got over that, smooth sailing.

My next carry gun was a Taurus m617 7-shot .357. Click-boom, click-boom. Crappy ammo, 'spensive ammo, .38, .357... No problems. I know I've got over 500+ just from myself. I know the old man and SO put more rounds through it, too. That's my 'nightstand' (read: pillow) gun.

Now I've taken to carrying a Springfield 1911 - the Loaded Champion (Px9142LP.) Bought this from a local gun store I trust. Former owner was a police officer that traded it on, I think it was a Sig. Said it was too heavy for her tastes, as I remember. Had around 600 through it then. My old man and I put another 500+ through it. Ate everything we gave it with a smile and a "Please sir, may I have another?" One problem in the first couple of magazines. That magazine will never touch my gun again... Know what I'm sayin'?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Links