Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun? - Page 9

Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun?

This is a discussion on Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OreoPuddin That magazine will never touch my gun again... Know what I'm sayin'? No, I don't... Keep it for a range mag ...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Just how RELIABLE is your carry gun?

Quote Originally Posted by OreoPuddin View Post
    That magazine will never touch my gun again... Know what I'm sayin'?
    No, I don't... Keep it for a range mag and, if anything, use it to practice malfunction clearance. Just don't carry it.

Long before I was even semi-knowledgeable about ammo I had my G22 jam up on me a few times during the same range session, FTF if I recall. I'm pretty sure it was unique to the box of ammo I was trying to use up (I can't remember the brand but not one I typically use). I usually stick with WWB at the range. No problems since (1000+ rounds or more).

That was long before I discovered this site and the educational benefits of understanding the "tools of the trade", so to speak.

The G22 is mostly for HD. Primary carry is a 50+ year old S&W M36 Chief's Special. Solid as the day it was made, and I have 100% faith in it's ability to go boom. I remember the first time (to familiarize myself with it) I locked the hammer back and pulled the hair-trigger - wow that was a light pull! Still have the box and pamphlet that came with it. I suspect it might be worth $$$ but it's something of a family heirloom now... has been in the family since new.

Reliability is way overblown.

It's really kind of funny; the more I work around guns, and carry them for reals, the less devoted I am to attaining some kind of mechanical reliability perfection. Call me cynical, but I think it is more psychology than mechanics.

I find it truly ironic that someone who smokes, is overweight, and rides a motorcycle without a helmet would lecture on whether this or that handgun for SD purposes is .000000001% more mechanically reliable. Or run screaming to the gunstore to unload their SD piece because they heard somewhere, on the internets, that it had a reputation for crapping the bed under XYZ conditions.

But I admittedly have a high risk lifestyle, and think I have a different perspective on things.

120mm, I've thought the same thing. Fat ass wanna be commandos lecturing others on how THEIR gun is the best, yet couldn't run 50 yards before dropping dead. That next double cheeseburger, 12 pack of Miller High Life and/or pack of smokes is MUCH more likely to kill those fatties dead than having a firearm malfunction at the "time of need"...which will, statistically speaking, probably NEVER come...same for the vast majority of everyone else who carries...

Neither Glock (30 and 21sf) has ever FTF, excepting the one time I tried a new hold method. The instructor told us to try a high hold with the dominant thumb straight and high along the frame. The G30 kept jamming, until I realized that it was my thumb activating the extended slide release!

I felt pretty silly...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I mostly use Glock 19 and various revolvers.....snubby and other longer barrel versions.....so the answer is....NO.....never had any problems.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

re

99.99999 it's a revolver - but i do own some auto's too
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Of the guns I have shot at least 400 or 500 rounds out of, my glock 19 qand 26 are the most reliable and so I normally infer that my G30 will be also......I trust my revo's, but I always worry about having enough ammo...not for a spray and pray but in case there are multiple assailants......so for me, my glocks have been that for me.

funny, as an aside...I was talking with a guy the other day about him wanting a 22LR semi...and my Ruger 22/45 has about 1200 rounds through it with -0- issues and about 6 or 7 different types of ammo....and that is sayin a lot for a 22...he was asking if it would be "okay" for self defense for the "home gun"...of course I said no, but I also added it would be better than nothing and quite honestly, I can fire 10 change the mag and do 10 more "really accurately for me" better than most of my other guns.....which makes you think maybe it would be suffiecient....sans the stopping power discussion!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

VIP Member
    Get a Glock, M&P or XD...... All are dependable and I would bet my life on any of the three.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

S&W 3913 Never had an issue. No stovepipes, jams, feed it just about anything.Just had my Trijicon sights redone. I would think a high quality Colt 45 would do the same job. I prefer stainless, due to the sweat factor.

It is a Glock. So I trust it completely.

My G27 is just Glock Perfect!
    Freedom isn't free! Don't ever take it forgranted!

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    It is a Glock. So I trust it completely.
    I'm a mechanic. I trust no machine any more than I have to. Practice stoppage drills.

I carry the Ruger SR9c, and I'll say that I WILL WITHOUT HESITATION trust my life to this weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    No (knock on wood). But anything mechanical has a possibility to fail. A good argument to carry a BUG.

Taurus 1911: 1000+ rounds, no failures
    XDsc 9mm: 500+ rounds, no failures
    I had a problem with my Taurus PT1911, which I traced to the locking mechanism built into the hammer. Since replacing the Taurus factory hammer with a Wilson combat hammer, I've put several hundred rounds through it with no problems. If your Taurus has that hammer. watch out for it What was happening with mine was that I'd fire one or two shots, then the trigger wouldn't pull.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Sponsored Links