Tried Something New at the Courthouse...

This is a discussion on Tried Something New at the Courthouse... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You bring the slide, I'll bring the frame, someone else brings a loaded mag. Get the picture?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tried Something New at the Courthouse...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You bring the slide, I'll bring the frame, someone else brings a loaded mag.

Get the picture?
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You bring the slide, I'll bring the frame, someone else brings a loaded mag.

Get the picture?
    Doesn't work though if they use the federal definition of 'gun' to mean the serial numbered frame only.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I think to the feds, anything with the serial number on it is considered the "gun".

Most slides have serial numbers on them.

And yes, if a group of people got together it would be easy to piece a gun together from the parts after they got past the security check point and entered the courthouse.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    .....Why our government is so afraid of the people lashing out with violence speaks volumes about our system and our culture.
    Some might say the same thing about folk who pack heat 24/7.

why not just cuff you gun to the seat post? Secure and can be accessed fairly quickly. I have only had to leave mine in the truck a few times and this is what I do. If they are going to get that gun they are going to earn it!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I think to the feds, anything with the serial number on it is considered the "gun".

Most slides have serial numbers on them.

And yes, if a group of people got together it would be easy to piece a gun together from the parts after they got past the security check point and entered the courthouse.
    I have 11 pistols,none of them have a serial number on the slide.The only serial number is on the frame except for my Sig P6 there is a matching serial number on the barrel,I'm assuming German Police requirement
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Doesn't work though if they use the federal definition of 'gun' to mean the serial numbered frame only.
    My main CCW has the serial number on the frame, the slide and the barrel. I think given the current track record the feds would declare on all 3 pieces.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    trying to get past a guard on a technicality like what the federal definition (or your interpretation of it) of a gun is would be a foolish losing battle...but i would pay to watch you try....

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    I haven't even dealt with the question of why the court related offices across the street, NOT in the courthouse, have a No Weapons sign. That's coming
    You might want to take that up with VCDL.

Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL)

President's Email
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

In NC, felony...no questions asked, those metal detectors would have been screaming and no weapons on the grounds. When you ccw you have to plan out your trips. The safe bet would have simply been to take it back home.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

GM
    I understand why you did it, but could you not just put the frame in other place in the truck? Sorry, but I do not think that trying something like that was a very good idea.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I have 11 pistols,none of them have a serial number on the slide.The only serial number is on the frame except for my Sig P6 there is a matching serial number on the barrel,I'm assuming German Police requirement
    Both my XD9sc and my G-23 have serial number on the slide and barrel.

My 1911's have serial number on the frame as well as my Ruger LCP.

I haven't checked the others because they are locked up.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

PA law states that all county courthouses, as well as district justice offices provide a secure lock up for you weapon(s) while conducting your business within them. Just notify the security officer (usually a sherrifs deputy) that you are have a LTCF (license to carry firearm) and would like to store your weapon.
    They will take you over to the lockers used for that purpose, you place your weapon(s) inside and usually your LTCF goes in there as well, so there is no dispute when you leave that you are the correct person removing the weapon(s). There are only a few counties that are not in compliance with State Laws pertaining to this. Most courthouses it is a routine occurance. Once you have deposited your firearm, you then go thru the metal detector and enter the courthouse.
    Not too bad of a set up and prevents you from leaving your weapon(s) in your car where they may be stolen.
    YMMV
    Good luck and always stay safe.
    USCCA/DEFENSIVE HANDGUNS
    GSSA/NRA
    DEFENSIVE CARRY
    GLOCK TALK
    PAFOA/American Gun Owners

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links