Tried Something New at the Courthouse...

This is a discussion on Tried Something New at the Courthouse... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had some legal business to handle recently and unexpectedly had to take some paperwork to the court clerk. That office is in the courthouse, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tried Something New at the Courthouse...

Tried Something New at the Courthouse...

I had some legal business to handle recently and unexpectedly had to take some paperwork to the court clerk. That office is in the courthouse, of course.

I don't like leaving the gun in the truck, so I field stripped it and left all but the slide locked in a box in the locked truck. I got to the courthouse and explained to the deputy that I have a CHP and that I had left all but the slide in my truck and asked if that would be a problem. He didn't know and said he'd ask. He also asked why I didn't leave the whole gun in the truck.

He didn't mind when I explained that I didn't want another gun loose on the street if my truck was stolen or broken in to.

The result was that "no parts" of guns are allowed in the courthouse.

It was worth a try.

I haven't even dealt with the question of why the court related offices across the street, NOT in the courthouse, have a No Weapons sign. That's coming
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

2. Remove Ads

F40
    The Feds consider the frame to be the firearm, wonder if legally you could have told him to pound sand.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    You had a piece of metal that could only be thrown at someone. What if you brought in a firing pin from a rifle?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Not worth it. Just get a sturdy safe for your vehicle.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    It was worth a try at least.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Administrator
    Thinking from a pure security standpoint, no parts makes perfect sense.
    "Just blame Sixto"

AzB
    I can see why they would not allow gun parts. Some clever deviants would manage to smuggle the entire gun in over a period of time and cause havoc.

Why our government is so afraid of the people lashing out with violence speaks volumes about our system and our culture.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Good point, you bring a part, your partner brings a part and on and on.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

All dictators and the rich have always wanted everyone else unarmed. They don't won't us to take over. Money rules, unless the citizens are armed. With the rich getting richer and the middle class disappearing, in this country. Don't be surprised to see the rich elite panicking about our guns. As long as we have the second amendment we have a voice. When we loose that right, stick a fork in us, we're done. So much is depending on this upcoming Supreme Court Ruling that it terrifies me. If for some ungodly reason, the Supreme Court rules in favor of Chicago, well the dominos will start falling, on us.

I have the same issue whenever I go to the King County Courthouse or any of the Government offices in Seattle. The area is very sketchy, has a high crime rate and a large number of car break ins. I wish they had some way of letting legal gun owners to keep their firearms at the entrance with the deputy and then give it back on the way out. I wouldn't mind paying a small fee for that.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Wolf'shead:
    That's exactly what they do at my courthouse (small town in eastern Colorado) - Just check it in at the door, they put it in their desk drawer and you're OK to enter.

The county court houses in washington are supposed to provide a place for you to lock up your guns and knives in the front enterance. The Federal court house does not.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I love AZ...with the exception of federal buildings, if a government entity wants to keep you from carrying they are required by law to have a facility to check a firearm. Every time I have had to go into a courthouse it has been smooth sailing once you ask the guard at the detector to check a firearm. (just ask BEFORE you try to go through!!) Never a concern, and have never even had one ask to inspect my CCW.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    The county court houses in washington are supposed to provide a place for you to lock up your guns and knives in the front enterance. The Federal court house does not.
    In Colorado, all city, county and state govt buildings that are "no firearms" are required by law as well to have a place to securely store your firearm while you conduct your business past their security checkpoint. I have not tested this yet, but have heard that it is pretty much "Good luck with that, let me know how it goes for ya."
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    I had some legal business to handle recently and unexpectedly had to take some paperwork to the court clerk. That office is in the courthouse, of course...
    [ ............................ ]
    ...It was worth a try.

I haven't even dealt with the question of why the court related offices across the street, NOT in the courthouse, have a No Weapons sign. That's coming
    Hope you get out soon.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links