I joined the "pipe club". - Page 2

I joined the "pipe club".

This is a discussion on I joined the "pipe club". within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so how does it feel to carry a weapon and not a expensive tack hammer?, lol!!!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    so how does it feel to carry a weapon and not a expensive tack hammer?, lol!!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

What changed your mind?

i have carried since day one with a round in the chamber. that was part of the reason for my wanting a DA/SA compact. It also allows you to squeeze an extra round into the mix. 9 in the magizine +1 in the chamber for me.

I go 13+1, and was a little wigged out at first but now I am more comfortable, though I am always extra careful, which is good anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post

1. Thanks for the advice.
    You're welcome!

I am returning your "man card", you should receive it in the mail in 5-7 buisness days.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    I am returning your "man card", you should receive it in the mail in 5-7 buisness days.
    Huh?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Glad that I found this forum before I carried; It pretty much solved that dilemma through rationalization.

“What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I carry with a loaded chamber, but carrying with only the magazine loaded is better than leaving it at home. I'm sure lots of self defense situations have allowed time for chambering, and some have not. I think you ought to do what gives you confidence to carry. I carry a cocked and locked acp in my belt, and a chamber-loaded LCP in my pocket. I know for sure I'm not going to have an accident, but I didn't come to that level overnight.
    Do you know that the G.I.'s who were issued 1911's did not carry them with a loaded chamber?
    It's all about mindset. Some folks feel there's more chance of an accidental discharge than an actual need to fire on purpose. Others know their weapons sufficiently to be fully confident in carrying a chambered round. The latter group are as prepared as they can be. The former are as prepared as they want to be. I believe it's a personal decision.

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    What changed your mind?
    My concern was a mechanical failure. It was pointed out to me that the hammer was not all the way back, and if dropped from that point via a sear failure, it wouldn't drop hard enough to fire the round.

I also have a hard plastic holster which completely covers the trigger with an extremely long trigger pull. I feel safe with it now.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

I also carried with a round chambered from day 1. With most modern firearms, you're not going to have any problem with it. Even when I was shy about carrying because my XDM was too big to conceal and I carried OWB, I had a round chambered.
    When I got pulled over riding with my brother I of course informed the cop I was carrying and what-not and she never asked to see my sidearm, just my CPL. He mentioned afterward he thought it was strange she didn't check to see that I didn't have one in the chamber or something and I said something to the effect of "Why would I carry it any other way?" He was in a bit of disbelief that I carried locked and loaded and likely thought it was against the law before that. I got a kick out of it...

Edit: Forgot I wasn't in a Michigan-only forum. Michigan is must-notify, to clear things up. And apparently this is my first post, though I signed up in January.

I carried my Glock 26 for a while without one chambered when I was getting familiar with it. I did have my P-3at in my pocket with a round chambered (6+1). I just wasn't sure how the Glock would work (It was my first Glock ). I carried the Glock for a week with a new snap cap in the chamber and a loaded mag and never had a unintentional strike on the snap cap. After having no problems with my Glock and my holster choice I then switched to 11+1 in the Glock (has an extension on the mag). I was always had a gun ready to go with the P-3at.

Two is one and one is none. I guess for the first few days, I was one and a half.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Ready for an armed SD...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I kick myself for this but every time I rack the slide, click on safety, and put racked gun and holster onto my belt, I look down at my feet and adjust to make sure the "downrange" is clear while adjusting fit. Sure, I trust the safety features and modern design, but still . . . no sense in tempting fate.

Regardless. One in the pipe. Always.

To get back to the OP, I've thought of many scenarios where it would be hard to grab my weapon and rack the slide. I've decided that I prefer the comfort of knowing that I can draw my loaded weapon from my hip and fire one-handed while using my off hand for blocking or shielding.

Besides, why settle for 14 when you can have {imitating British rocker from "Spinal Tap"} ONE MORE?
    Don't forget to bow as the chariot passes.

I joined the "pipe club".
    I don't know that I would be saying that too loud if I were you, but then, to each their own I guess.

Seriously, I'm glad that you came to the realization that without a round in the chamber all you have is a paper weight. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links