The ''inconvenience'' of carry!

This is a discussion on The ''inconvenience'' of carry! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How about off-body carry? A sidearm in a rucksack or shoulder bag (always kept within reach) allows for very light and comfortable clothing. It's not ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The ''inconvenience'' of carry!

How about off-body carry? A sidearm in a rucksack or shoulder bag (always kept within reach) allows for very light and comfortable clothing. It's not as comforting as a gun on your body, but beats being unarmed. Plus, you can make up for the lack of accessibility by carrying more ammo.
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Off body is OK if necessary and a suitable bag. This instance I related was such that I was down to absolute minimum and no bags etc - but as I said, piece was in truck very close by. Of course R9 could easily have been in pocket.

Richard - good trip by sounds of it tho not sure I'd even venture into MA!! I plan travel assiduously, and these days take great pains to avoid MD. As for going East re NJ, NY etc - ain't gonna happen.

So you came thru PA eh - well if en route to WV I'll bet you were almost within spitting distance - and ya didn't stop by! Shame on ya!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I think Kel-Tec is going to be doing a big business if they release the PF-9 any time in the next month or so. 9mm, 12.7 oz. w/o mag, 2.8 oz. loaded mag, even loaded less than a pound, 5.85" length, 4.3" height, .88" width, 7 + 1 capacity, and will accept +p. If these things work they will be on everybody's summer carry list.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Most of the people I know who complain about how uncomfortable/inconvenient CCW is are people who buy cheesy holsters like Thunderwear, belly bands and the ubiquitous God-awful Uncle Mike's nylon IWB holster.

Good leather is the key to daily carry. With a good molded leather (or Kydex if you must) holster designed to carry the weight of the gun and keep it from shifting you can carry a full size 1911 24/7 with more comfort than a KelTec P11 in an Uncle Mike's.

My Kahr MK9 or my Steyr S40 are both easily carried all day because I have good holsters for them.

Of course the fact that I can carry at work and I almost NEVER go to places that are off limits helps with the convenience factor (I have jury duty next month ... I'm not looking forward to sitting around unarmed for a day or three).

Lead Moderator
    went without my carry gun this weekend myself. nice to be without a cover garment and just kick back and relax. the girlfriend and I dank a little and did some fishing. Still, in more populated areas I feel more comfortable armed.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrative Ban Array Red Stick's Avatar
    It's 90-95 degrees and HUMID but I still have my Bersa .380. I just drop it in my front pocket and go about my day. It's in my pocket now as I sit here at my computer desk at home. Not as quick on the draw as IWB but it's there when I need it.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    My one complaint on CCW is summer carry in a very HOT area. When I can, I carry a belly bag with serious equipment. But I have to confess to at times slipping the mouse gun NAA mini 22 into a pocket rather than to do the "right" thing and carry my Sig P245 IWB with a cover garment. ~SIGH~ Five more years and I can retire to the NC mountains....to live like a proper Hobbit. A properly ARMED Hobbit....
    I'm guilty as well, except mines a P-32 in a nemesis. Should be carrying my G-30 or at least my Taurus 85UL. But I end up just packin' the pocket rocket half the time.

Assistant Administrator
    Good leather is the key to daily carry.
    No argument there Zund! My K&D rig is for me about as good as it gets - such that really my carry is all but un-noticeable.

Carrying as I do tho, large and heavy - it is certainly also noticeable on the rare occasion it is off. Just a greater degree of freedom. This ''offing'' over weekend, for perhaps 8 hours, was probably the first time in a great many months!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've been carrying for a year come this July. I have reached the point now where it's almots unnoticeable to me that I have my gun on me. I go IWB 90% of the time and OWB usually around the house or just running down to the in-laws. I typically where jean shorts whenever I head out in the summer anyways and it can get pretty damn hot and humid up here in NH during the summer. I'm lucky that my body type allows me to easily conceal my XD IWB with just a pair of those jean shorts and a t-shirt.

Once in awhile I find carry slighlty inconvenient, but not to the point that I would choose not to carry. I made the decision when I picked up my permit at the PD to keep a firearm close by my side whenever I was not on duty. It was a promise I made to myself and one I intend to keep no matter how inconvenient it might be every once in awhile.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

A couple Fridays ago, I carried a Ruger Vaquero 44 around all day.
    That big heavy gun was not missed when I changed back to my Defender.
    What's really nice for me is being home - where I still carry, but I don't bother with covering it up.
    My house is way out in the sticks, nobody around - nice to not worry about concealment, I can lose my vest and won't be so darned hot.
    To whomever mentioned it -- if that new Kel-Tec 9mm works, it's on my list.
    Would be nice to carry a baby 9mm on my motorcycle.

I'm a pretty small guy and I carry a full-size, stainless 1911 16-18hrs/7days. It is ALWAYS with me. Sure, its extra gear to carry, but I have a quality holster and belt to support the weight and after the first week, my body got used to it and now I rarely ever notice it other than sitting in sport bucket seats, and thats just getting into the car, once I'm in, no problem at all, even long drives.

I think the few extra pounds weighs a lot less than three rounds in the chest...
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

I guess I am just a little paranoid....I carry everywhere and all times that it is legal to do so. I go out of my way to avoid the illegal places. I dress to conceal and change weapons to suit my wardrobe. The smallest gun I carry is my Kel-Tec P11. I made a committment to be able to protect myself and loved ones the day I recieved my CHL. I plan to honor that committment. Even in shorts and a muscle shirt with flipflops on I can carry the P11 comfortably.

I accidentally left my daily pocket carry, a Taurus PT-145 in a desk drawer at the office over the weekend. I felt naked on the drive home and I have a 90 mile commute. I almost turned around and went back to get it.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

when it is hot, s&w model 60 goes a long way. then i found the p11, then i found the p3at. either way i do not leave the house, no matter how i am dressed without a gun.

Feel naked without it!

I was in Connecticut with my wife and daughter on vacation...unarmed since I don't have a CT permit (and law-abiding).

I'll tell you it is a weird feeling not carrying when you are used to carrying almost all the time.

We need national carry reciprocity! I hate feeling naked unless there is good reason.

I live in the Gunshine state it is always hot hear.
    I carry even in the heat. Hot beats dead every time.
    Philip L. McCleary
    Security via CCW
    and a lot of practice
    Dispatchers have the best jobs
    we tell the police where to go and they have
    to do it. Policy manual says so.

de N4LNE

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links