The ''inconvenience'' of carry!

This is a discussion on The ''inconvenience'' of carry! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are good people who carry in MA but they are seriously outnumbered by the sheep and run the risk of losing thier rights anytime ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The ''inconvenience'' of carry!

There are good people who carry in MA but they are seriously outnumbered by the sheep and run the risk of losing thier rights anytime there is a new chief of police in their town.

In most cases it is easier to get a non-resident permit for MA than one as a resident but it is still $100 a year. I am going to get one those as I am only a couple of miles from the state border and I have to constantly make sure I don't take the wrong road and end up in MA when carrying.

2. Remove Ads

I do not mind the weight nor the cover clothing; I just don't like the prespiration getting on my weapon. I usually lightly oil my ccw several times during the summer. it is a

I ment to add

Quote Originally Posted by tex45acp
    I accidentally left my daily pocket carry, a Taurus PT-145 in a desk drawer at the office over the weekend. I felt naked on the drive home and I have a 90 mile commute. I almost turned around and went back to get it.
    You pocket-carry a PT-145? That's a chunky gun, even for a compact weapon. I am impressed. Those are some big pockets to fill :)

Quote Originally Posted by mcclearypl
    Hot beats dead every time.
    Good reminder.

LibertyGal
    Requiring a license makes it illegal to do something that was lawful before the license was required.

VIP Member
    there are definitely times that its a "hassle" but is worth it all
    I've only had my chl for a year but I already feel half naked if I don't carry (which isn't very often). I started with my H&K USP full size 45 that I've had for years now. I quickly realized that cool/cold weather was easy to do, but with warm weather it was a little more difficult. I have a predator (kydex) iwb that works quite well with tshirt tucked in, but I knew I wanted something smaller for warmer weather. I got my Glock 30 a few weeks ago and its awesome for warm weather carry. I still plan on getting a keltec P11 for a BUG or for a more discreet carry option.
    ...yet another good discussion on this board, lots of ideas shared
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    Tis' better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

I have have lived by that from the time I was a young Paratrooper in Vietnam until now

Jungle Work

Well being retired, I rarely go out anyway. Seriously, the pain meds make getting out of the apartment all but impossible most days. My 4x4 Toyota gets 22 mpg and I buy one tank of gas every 4 to 6 weeks (13 gal. tank), been that way since I retired late Jan. of '05.

Most of the time when I do go out it's to the pharmacy/grocery store or to relatives' houses for dinner. My Mom and Step-Dad both know I carry so no problem there (plus it's about a 40 mile drive to get there). Other than my wife, the only members of her family I've told about my permit are her brother and his wife. I generally leave my gun in the car when we get together with the in-laws because of a young niece and nephew running around (both about waist high on me). All other times I'm armed, even if I'm just sitting at home.

My wife and I spent a few days in Tunica over the Memorial Day weekend (also our anniversary). I wore the Mil-Spec during the drive down and back but dis-armed in the parking garage, stuck the holstered 1911 and spare mags in the luggage and carried it up to the room. Didn't re-arm until at the car as we were leaving. Both times it was early afternoon so well lit and "safe." I admit, knowing those security cameras were overhead and all the armed guards nearby I felt ZERO need to be armed myself, and it was nice. It was a great mini-vacation (plus I won at craps ).

I'm seriously considering that Kahr P45 I looked at as my next purchase after the Commander is paid off. 6+1 rounds of ACP in a small, flat, lightweight package would be much less pressure on the hip and lower back. Just have to talk Gary into making a Def-Con for it when the time comes .
    Jack

VIP Member
    My company requires me to carry 24/7. Of course it's my company, not to mention the company I keep. The new Kel-Tec P9 is also on my list. I can't afford what P95Carry has. R R R
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Pockets

Being retired, I can wear what I want, which is cargo pants year round. For a while I pocketed a Kel-Tec-P11, which is a perfect size and capacity (12+1), but I am not fully confident with it for several reasons. Currently I'm wearing a Glock 26. The superiority of the weapon offsets 2 less rounds IMO, but I don't like the extra weight and bulk, and it doesn't draw quite as cleanly.

The cargo pants swallow these weapons in a modified Nemesis comfortably: if I notice a pocket gaping, I stuff in a handkerchief. A tag of velcro stitched or glued in a strategic spot is excellent for keeping a pocket closed (position for attachment while wearing garment and weapon). And one can keep a hand on the weapon inconspicuously

It is also very easy to disarm in a vehicle to go where CC is not allowed.

C

Wow...I just read everything in this thread - here are my observations:

The original complaint suggested that heat was the main factor regarding uncomfortable carry. Sounds like the additional clothing necessary for CCW trapped the heat.

You live in PA...why don't you take advantage of open carry?

I live in VA, and visit PA quite often, I carry open 100% of the time for years and have never had a problem. I carry a USP 45 on my hip in a Galco holster and never have I felt uncomfortable.

Carry open and don't worry about the heat.

Assistant Administrator
    I open carry at home and around home - folks coming by often see - I don't let that bother me. When out tho yes I still conceal - partly to keep ''low profile'' - and that is no crit' of your open carry choice at all.

Other reason is, much as anything - just feeling too dadblamed lazy to face having to (just possibly) deal with a ruckus somewhere because some soccer Mom goes ballistic and calls in ''man with a gun''.

I am not afraid to carry open and will any time it suits circumstances etc - but overall - concealed suits me better out in public. Out of interest, so I can compare - what area/areas of PA have you open carried with zero prob? Be useful to know.

My area is pretty gun savvy but - always those few around anywhere it seems who freak out!! Want to avoid them.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hi All,

If I feel that carring my .45ACP is "too much" I have pocket pistol.
    Small, light, and concealable.

Hey a .25ACP is better than nothing...ok barely...maybe :)

Be Safe and Aware,
    Corbett

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I open carry at home and around home - folks coming by often see - I don't let that bother me. When out tho yes I still conceal - partly to keep ''low profile'' - and that is no crit' of your open carry choice at all.

Other reason is, much as anything - just feeling too dadblamed lazy to face having to (just possibly) deal with a ruckus somewhere because some soccer Mom goes ballistic and calls in ''man with a gun''.

I am not afraid to carry open and will any time it suits circumstances etc - but overall - concealed suits me better out in public. Out of interest, so I can compare - what area/areas of PA have you open carried with zero prob? Be useful to know.

My area is pretty gun savvy but - always those few around anywhere it seems who freak out!! Want to avoid them.
    Hello P95 - the areas I carry most in PA are Pittsburgh, Cranberry, & Erie - I have also visited other cities such as Philadelphia and Harisburg. I have walked into courthouses carrying open, turned in my firearm for *safe keeping* while I was there, hung it on my hip on the way out with nothing being said. Non-issue.

I too shared worries regarding *soccer moms freaking out* and such but after years of open carry I must admit that nothing of the sort has ever happened. I am middle aged, dress normal, act normal, etc. and I would suspect that most criminals view me as *cop*. I make no effort to appear that way nor do I ever suggest that I am a LEO. A few people have asked and I make it clear that I am not any type of LEO although I respect the heck out of them and feel they should be paid twice what they are currently paid.

Glad to hear you carry in my home state and make it safer.

Assistant Administrator
    cszy - thx for reply to that query. Well, gotta say I am surprised you have had such an easy time of it, particularly PBH - pleased for you tho!

I guess even if I were to consider much open carry round these parts - I'd be thinking of how I do not see open carry much if at all. My county town is small and pretty friendly but I have never yet seen an open carry example - so I guess I have some reserve over perhaps being the first and a test case!! Only 30 miles to my North is Altoons - large place overall - there again - never seen open carry!

I am very much one for excercizing rights - and overall do so pretty well - but this one I confess to feeling a bit leary of in and around my local towns.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links