NRA against Concealed Carry at Ranges?

This is a discussion on NRA against Concealed Carry at Ranges? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Personally, at my club, my carry piece is always carried loaded in my holster. If I am downrange during a cold range and lead starts ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 42

Thread: NRA against Concealed Carry at Ranges?

  1. #16
    Senior Member Array Divebum47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    763
    Personally, at my club, my carry piece is always carried loaded in my holster. If I am downrange during a cold range and lead starts flying my way, lead is going to start flying back.
    I certainly hope that was said tongue in cheek. If the range is cold and some idiot starts shooting while I'm down range, I'm going to hit the deck and yell, Cease Fire" at the top of my lungs. Anyone who would shoot back probably does not deserve to own a gun, IMHO. Obviously, anyone who would knowingly shoot on a cold range doesn't deserve to own a gun, either. But if there is a Range Commander, it's up to him to dole out "justice" not some hothead carrying a concealed weapon. If there's not a Range Commander, and there are a number of people shooting, then I'm not going down range. I'm using the pulleys. And if there is neither Range Commander nor a pulley system, I'm going elsewhere. Just sayin'.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Member Array Leopard125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Posts
    204
    Do you really think after the vote congress had on sunday that they really care about n your rights?

    The NRA is working for gun owner rights and freedom.

  4. #18
    VIP Member Array wmhawth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    4,380
    Originally Posted by WoodLark
    I belong to a local rifle and pistol club which is affiliated with the NRA. We have our own outdoor range which is located in a rather remote rural area. Recently NRA representatives recommended (among other things) that concealed weapons be banned at the range.

    My wife and I usually go to the range early on weekday mornings. Quite often we are the only ones there at that time. For our own protection, we concealed carry.

    If the club adopts the NRA recommendation, we will probably resign.

    I thought the NRA was supposed to be on our side!
    It's probably in the interest of being absolutely sure that when the line is supposed to be cold that it is, for sure, cold. In other words in the interest of everyone's safety. Hardly a reason to label the NRA as "not being on our side". I'd be in favor of all safety measures that might prevent an ugly incident on the range and all the negative repercussions that would follow. Do you really need to carry a concealed weapon on the range anyway?

  5. #19
    Member Array AtlantaSW40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    151
    I think the ban should be on pulling a concealed weapons from a iwb holster or pocket holster and then firing it down range....that's how people get shot accidentally at ranges. At my range they let you pull from OWB holsters, but will immediately make you stop if you are pulling from IWB because it's a higher risk of accidental discharge...and if you are pulling from SOB it's easy to swing that sucker around and have it pointing in all directions..guy in a lane next to me was doing it with a kimber ultra carry and i remember just seeing his laser flying everywhere and could see it skimming by the gates on my lane and it was making me nervous as ****!

  6. #20
    GM
    GM is offline
    VIP Member Array GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,866
    I do not agree with everything the NRA says and does. Actually, I disagree with them quite often. However, I support them because they are the best we have right now, and I am aware that without them our 2nd Amendment rights would not longer exist.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

  7. #21
    Member Array Phantoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    381
    I take offense to statements such as "you never know what kind of idiot will show up". Step back and listen to what you are saying. Yes you never know, just like you never know at McDonalds, the corner store or anywhere else you go.

    If you want no drawing from a holster, or no carry weapons on the range being deholstered, that's one thing. But telling someone they can't carry because you never know who will show up is plan idiotic and only goes to reverse the progress we have slowly be making over the last few years. Idiots are everywhere and those who make statements such as above should have their carry permits revoked.
    Last edited by Phantoms; March 23rd, 2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: changed "me" to it's intended "we" in next to last sentence

  8. #22
    Member Array monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Danville, Virginia
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If the folks in charge said it's "required" by the NRA Insurance, ask to see that particular requirement in writing. You'll probably find it doesn't exist.

    I learned long ago in the service that in most cases when someone says you ""can't" or "have to" because of a "reg," it's not necessarily so. I always looked the regs up and found it was usually a case of military myth.

    Such is the case in the civililan world. Like so many times here and elsewhere on forums, if you'll look up state laws, etc., you'll find the real requirements and avoid long perpetuated myths.
    I agree with OldVet.... 100%.....Never take anyones word that anything is a written regulation.... even if they quote some reg numbers. It's easier to get people to do what they want if they put a regulation tag on it....
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

  9. #23
    Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Arid Zone A
    Posts
    1,561
    The OP feels the need to carry while at the range because it is remote. A few years ago there was a couple killed while shooting at a rural range and their guns stolen and used in subsequent killings. If I or the OP feels the need to carry concealed anywhere, it is not the place of the NRA or the range to tell us otherwise.

    And it may not be the policy of the NRA insurance, I also hear that used as an excuse for some of the rules the club I belong to enforces, except when I researched the insurance costs for a gun club, about the only thing mentioned is that at least 5 members should be NRA members.

  10. #24
    Senior Member Array adaman04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Show Me State
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by jcurt172 View Post
    Good, bad, or ugly.....the NRA is all that stands between us and the loss of our 2nd Amendment rights. If you don't like the way they operate, tell them.
    Well said. They aren't perfect, but they are the best help we have.

    What chaps me is every year at the national convention, the speakers always start with "I will never forget duck hunting with my dad as a kid...." Excuse me, were you looking for the North American Hunting Club convention? What kind of gun are you carrying up there?

  11. #25
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,192
    I'm not going to read over this whole thread, but the NRA is NOT against concealed carry, here in Iowa they are helping in easing concealed carry restrictions and to make the state shall issue and they have helped other states as well.

    Regarding the range rules...many ranges have similar rules regardless of NRA affiliation. I can understand the rules as I've seen some real clowns at the range, if you don't like it and the NRA "recommended (among other things) that concealed weapons be banned at the range." address it with your club staff that you disagree with the suggestion.

    Edited to add: I changed the title of this thread to be more on point with the 1st post relating to concealed carry @ the range.

  12. #26
    VIP Member
    Array shooterX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I'm not going to read over this whole thread, but the NRA is NOT against concealed carry, here in Iowa they are helping in easing concealed carry restrictions and to make the state shall issue and they have helped other states as well.
    This is how I understood the NRA position on concealed carry.
    Last edited by JD; March 23rd, 2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags...

  13. #27
    Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    I certainly hope that was said tongue in cheek. If the range is cold and some idiot starts shooting while I'm down range, I'm going to hit the deck and yell, Cease Fire" at the top of my lungs. Anyone who would shoot back probably does not deserve to own a gun, IMHO. Obviously, anyone who would knowingly shoot on a cold range doesn't deserve to own a gun, either. But if there is a Range Commander, it's up to him to dole out "justice" not some hothead carrying a concealed weapon. If there's not a Range Commander, and there are a number of people shooting, then I'm not going down range. I'm using the pulleys. And if there is neither Range Commander nor a pulley system, I'm going elsewhere. Just sayin'.
    +1, I was thinking the same thing. If someone starts shooting in my direction I will yell CEASE FIRE as loud as I can, probably from midair as I dive for cover. No way I am going to return fire just because some idiot misunderstood the concept of a cold range.

    Then again, I have an inherited condition which makes me unable to detect joking on online forums
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

  14. #28
    VIP Member Array wmhawth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    It's because the NRA provides the insurance. They consider it a "hazard" to have loaded guns anywhere other than the active firing line. The NRA is also against open carry in all forms. If it wasn't a requirement of my gun range to be a member of the NRA because of the insurance reasons, I would not be a member of the NRA. The NRA is all about hunter's and sportsman's rights and not about the Second Amendment.

    Personally, at my club, my carry piece is always carried loaded in my holster. If I am downrange during a cold range and lead starts flying my way, lead is going to start flying back.
    That's scary. A range rule prohibiting concealed carry starts to make real sense when you picture a scenario where people down range are swapping gunfire with people on a supposedly cold line carrying loaded guns.

  15. #29
    Senior Member Array Tom357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    1,068
    Let an anti say some of this stuff, and y'all would be all over it. How dare they talk about idiots and clowns with guns? Hand out your cards. Zero tolerance of any business that curtails your right to carry. Take your money elsewhere if they won't let you conceal...unless, of course, it is a place you choose to patronize. Unless you agree that CC permit holders represent a special danger by virtue of the fact that they carry concealed.

    OK, so lots of ranges have similar rules. Why? What is the cogent argument for banning concealed carry, that is justified here, but not elsewhere?
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

  16. #30
    Member Array seawolf1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    156
    I'm an NRA certified RSO, and I don't believe I've ever heard of any NRA regulation against conceal-carry at the range. I think the NRA recognizes that any rules for/against this practice are specific to the range and/or club. If you don't like the club rules, find another one.

    As an RSO, I'm not against conceal-carry at the range; I understand why some prefer to remain armed at all times. In fact, I conceal-carry while working as an RSO. However, when the range goes cold and I say "no handling of firearms is permitted at this time," that includes ALL firearms ... concealed or otherwise.

    When I'm not on duty as an RSO, and if I intend to shoot my concealed firearm at the range, I will conceal-carry a different weapon for the day. In this way, I never have to touch or remove my concealed firearm while at the range. As is said on this forum so often: "concealed means concealed." The only time I would touch or remove my concealed firearm at the range is for the intended purpose for which it is carried --- self defense.

    Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. New P239 - I need ideas for a very concealed undetectable holster for Concealed Carry
    By kashton in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: January 14th, 2009, 07:53 PM
  2. Carrying concealed on ranges
    By Scott in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: March 13th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Search tags for this page

can i carry concealed in nra range

,
concealed carry in twin falls, idaho
,
concealed carry nra range
,
does andy dalton have concealed carry classes
,
nra against concealed carry
,
nra position of concealed carry
,
nra range concealed carry
,
nra shooting range recommended .38 loads
Click on a term to search for related topics.