NRA against Concealed Carry at Ranges? - Page 3

NRA against Concealed Carry at Ranges?

This is a discussion on NRA against Concealed Carry at Ranges? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just went thru this at Andy Dalton in Missouri . I have shot enough with the general puplic to understand the safety issues. I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NRA against Concealed Carry at Ranges?

I just went thru this at Andy Dalton in Missouri . I have shot enough with the general puplic to understand the safety issues. I don't have a problem with it and will continue to shoot there and like the rule. My safety from other shooters I do not know is greater than the random robbery. This is all safety based. Sounds like a bunch of cry babies, the NRA is picking on me.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    My friends, you have a right to be upset, but as stated by several members and gun owners here, without the NRA standing up for your rights, my rights and their rights, we wouldn't have those weapons or gun ranges you are upset about, that's not stating an opinion my friends, that's a fact, we as gun owners would not have any rights at all if guns at all.

So before we decide to jump ship and slam the NRA, we need to think hard on that, look across the hallway at the alternative. I'm sure they would be happy to see inside bickering.

I see it's been mentioned here, research it and find out who wants what and who's pushing it.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom357 View Post
    Let an anti say some of this stuff, and y'all would be all over it. How dare they talk about idiots and clowns with guns? Hand out your cards. Zero tolerance of any business that curtails your right to carry. Take your money elsewhere if they won't let you conceal...unless, of course, it is a place you choose to patronize. Unless you agree that CC permit holders represent a special danger by virtue of the fact that they carry concealed.
    And some people need to get a grip. There are some places that don't allow carry, it's up to each of us to look at the whys behind it and decide what we want to do about it. I won't swear of a broadway play because I can't carry in NY but if I have a choice in the matter I'm going to go where I can carry.

OK, so lots of ranges have similar rules. Why? What is the cogent argument for banning concealed carry, that is justified here, but not elsewhere?
    1: Most places that ban carry ban guns all together, that's not the case of a range.

2: Most places prohibiting guns/carry aren't filled with people handling, loading/unloading, firing guns, the more people you have on the range handling loaded weapons the risk of an accident increases. While 99% of us won't be handling our concealed weapon, there's always that 1% that will. Most places this would never be an issue, as the gun stays concealed until you need it. But what happens when you do have that idiot at the range that wants to show off his new concealed carry gun to Billy Bob? He's not going to do it while Billy's shooting, that would be rude. I know! Lets wait till cease fire when everyone is checking targets that way I won't be taking up anyone's shooting time! Let me just whip this out, oh wait I should be pointing this down range
    as I clear it! *BANG!*

Shooting guns is inherently dangerous, doing it safely is less inherently dangerous. When people want to go into the impact area/forward of the firing line, it's good, SAFE manners to ensure that no loaded guns are going to be played with.

As I said before, if a club has this restriction and it bothers you, don't join and find some place else to shoot. If you have no other options it's up to you. Personally, I'd rather have to clear my carry gun while at the range than have no place to shoot and try and get the policy changed.

If you're the only person on a rural range and find it wise and prudent to carry while shooting, do it, I would. But if you're with a large group of people...no one in their right mind is going to try and jack 20 IDPA/USPSA shooters at a match. Of course there's always that retard that's not in his right mind, but you get the point.

As the OP of this thread, I read all of your comments with great interest and would like to clarify my position.

I have no intention of suddenly drawing and firing my concealed weapon at the range unless my wife or I is attacked.

The range is in a remote area, and much of the time when we are there, we are there alone.

If the State of South Carolina says I ( or any other CWP holder) am a sensible enough individual to be allowed to carry a concealed weapon in my local Walmart store, why should the NRA (who is supposed to support my right to bear arms) say that I am not sensible enough to carry at a gun range.

To the best of my knowledge, the local club has not adopted the NRA recommendation, and I sincerely hope they never do.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post

If the State of South Carolina says I ( or any other CWP holder) am a sensible enough individual to be allowed to carry a concealed weapon in my local Walmart store, why should the NRA (who is supposed to support my right to bear arms) say that I am not sensible enough to carry at a gun range.
    Probably because it's easier to have ONE policy for everyone rather than have a policy for each state where different training standards come into play.

If the policy were to read "No firearms to be carried on the person unless the person is in possession of a a CWP" would you be upset?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    If the policy were to read "No firearms to be carried on the person unless the person is in possession of a a CWP" would you be upset?
    How is that any better? I mean, some people may legally OC without a CHP, or whatever. The point is to stop unsafe behavior, and that has nothing to do with people carrying loaded defensive weapons on the range.

Just have a rule: if you mess with any weapon while the range is cold, you're banned. If you have defensive weapon(s), they must stay holstered during 'cold' time. If the range otherwise allows shooting from a holster obviously that may be done when the range is hot but otherwise defensive weapons should stay holstered and out of the way.

It's kinda like gun shops: most will let you carry, as long as it stays holstered.

If in doubt put up a large sign: "LOADED PERSONAL DEFENSE WEAPONS MUST REMAIN HOLSTERED AT ALL TIMES"
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    How is that any better?
    That's kind of the point I was leading up to, Woodlark is of the mind that having a SC CWP proves that he will act accordingly while at the range.

to the op, is the range trying to prevent non cc gun owners from carrying concealed while at the range? sometimes people forget that gun laws apply even at the range. i have seen some ranges also dont allow firing a gun that was holstered for safety reasons. they want all loaded guns pointing down range at all times. not being carried or removed from a holster and fired. i agree with the rules from a safety stand point. accidents happen even to the best. and concealed means just that.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    That's kind of the point I was leading up to, Woodlark is of the mind that having a SC CWP proves that he will act accordingly while at the range.
    Not correct. My point is that I am no more likely to act unsafely at the range than at Walmart. Would you be happy if Walmart banned concealed weapons (I am not disputing either organization's right to do so)?

dgreen: The "range" has not taken a position (yet). I was merely commenting on a recommendation to the club by the NRA because I was surprised that the NRA would take such a stance.

I actually like GWRedDragon's suggestion about requiring that personal defense weapons remain holstered at all times.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

dgreen: The "range" has not taken a position (yet). I was merely commenting on a recommendation to the club by the NRA because I was surprised that the NRA would take such a stance.

I actually like GWRedDragon's suggestion about requiring that personal defense weapons remain holstered at all times.[/QUOTE]

i to am suprised about the nra's recommendation. if its true, i would like to know their reasoning.

What's the big deal, there being no reason to keep it concealed, not being strange to carry it openly or in a bag at the range. I have too many holsters that I do not dare or care to wear out there.

But what happens when you do have that idiot at the range that wants to show off his new concealed carry gun to Billy Bob? He's not going to do it while Billy's shooting, that would be rude. I know! Lets wait till cease fire when everyone is checking targets that way I won't be taking up anyone's shooting time! Let me just whip this out, oh wait I should be pointing this down range
    as I clear it! *BANG!*
    I think JD hit the bulls eye.... This seems to be the whole reason in a nut shell.... I for one would like to see all people use their heads and be safe/smart about their choices, unfortunately not all people have that ability.
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links