NRA against Concealed Carry at Ranges?

This is a discussion on NRA against Concealed Carry at Ranges? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I belong to a local rifle and pistol club which is affiliated with the NRA. We have our own outdoor range which is located in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NRA against Concealed Carry at Ranges?

I belong to a local rifle and pistol club which is affiliated with the NRA. We have our own outdoor range which is located in a rather remote rural area. Recently NRA representatives recommended (among other things) that concealed weapons be banned at the range.

My wife and I usually go to the range early on weekday mornings. Quite often we are the only ones there at that time. For our own protection, we concealed carry.

If the club adopts the NRA recommendation, we will probably resign.

I thought the NRA was supposed to be on our side!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

It's because the NRA provides the insurance. They consider it a "hazard" to have loaded guns anywhere other than the active firing line. The NRA is also against open carry in all forms. If it wasn't a requirement of my gun range to be a member of the NRA because of the insurance reasons, I would not be a member of the NRA. The NRA is all about hunter's and sportsman's rights and not about the Second Amendment.

Personally, at my club, my carry piece is always carried loaded in my holster. If I am downrange during a cold range and lead starts flying my way, lead is going to start flying back.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    The NRA is all about hunter's and sportsman's rights and not about the Second Amendment.
    This.
    The NRA often reminds of British gentlemen with their fowling pieces supporting bans that don't effect their sport.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    I belong to a local rifle and pistol club which is affiliated with the NRA. We have our own outdoor range which is located in a rather remote rural area. Recently NRA representatives recommended (among other things) that concealed weapons be banned at the range.

My wife and I usually go to the range early on weekday mornings. Quite often we are the only ones there at that time. For our own protection, we concealed carry.

If the club adopts the NRA recommendation, we will probably resign.

I thought the NRA was supposed to be on our side!
    I can't speak to your club or its members, but recognize that all sorts of folks show up at public ranges. By "all sorts" I mean the trained and the untrained, the responsible and the irresponsible, and everyone in between. I have no problem with all guns on the firing line being visible, if nothing more than for the ability of the range officer(s) to keep track of muzzles and actions.

The club back east where I used to participate in informal IDPA shoots - heck, they taught CQ shooting techniques there - had a strict, cold-range rule at the tiny, 8-bay indoor range. When it was time to leave, those of us who carried were invited to step up to the line to "load and make ready", then holster our guns before leaving the line. That still maintained control of the muzzles.

Does you club allow drawing from the holster? If so, what's wrong with carrying openly at the range?

Lastly, re the NRA, I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. There is no organization who has effectively and consistently supported YOUR Second Amendment rights, in spite of only a fraction of American shooters and gun owner signing up for membership. I don't agree with all of their policies, but they still get my support. And contrary to another's post, they are hardly "just about hunter's and sportmen's rights" - that schism was resolved with the "Cincinnati Revolt" in 1977, and led to the formation of the ILA. If you think the NRA isn't behind concealed carry, then you are taking a "revisionist history" view of the gains achieved over the past couple of decades in State legislatures so we now have 39 "shall-issue" states with an unprecedented level of reciprocity among them. No, it's not 50 states and 100% reciprocity, but it's a whole lot better then it was 20 years ago when I started carrying. Those advances in CCW-enabling legislation would not have been possible without the organized and sustaining efforts of the NRA.

I say look for alternative solutions to your personal safety while at the range, not an all-or-nothing approach.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I gotta agree with Gasmitty on this one - the NRA is far from perfect, but they do represent a good effort to lobby with strength for our rights.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    I gotta agree with Gasmitty on this one - the NRA is far from perfect, but they do represent a good effort to lobby with strength for our rights.
    I agree here, also...the NRA is not perfect, but they are on top of a LOT of items all over the country...I give them my support.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Nothing is perfect. BUT without the NRA, Brady just might have his way.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear67 View Post
    Nothing is perfect. BUT without the NRA, Brady just might have his way.
    A America without guns!?
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

KAK
    My club is an NRA club and CC is allowed. Its not the NRA. Its the particular a-hole reps that run your range. Tell them how you feel.

Our range is an NRA affiliate. Concealed and open carry is allowed and even sort of unspokenly encouraged. many open carry there self defense gun while shooting other guns and some draw and fire their holstered piece on "Hot Range" command. When "Cold Range" is given, actions must be open and no one is allowed to touch their gun. Magazines can be loaded during "Cold Range. People with holstered guns, either OC or CC can still carry them down range or any where they want. Just don't touch unless your on a hot range. Many times guns are handled in the lobby and waiting area, but must be checked by the Rangemaster for obvious safety reasons.

Good, bad, or ugly.....the NRA is all that stands between us and the loss of our 2nd Amendment rights. If you don't like the way they operate, tell them.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If the folks in charge said it's "required" by the NRA Insurance, ask to see that particular requirement in writing. You'll probably find it doesn't exist.

I learned long ago in the service that in most cases when someone says you ""can't" or "have to" because of a "reg," it's not necessarily so. I always looked the regs up and found it was usually a case of military myth.

Such is the case in the civililan world. Like so many times here and elsewhere on forums, if you'll look up state laws, etc., you'll find the real requirements and avoid long perpetuated myths.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Without the NRA our gun rights would have disappeared long ago. No organization is perfect, but the NRA comes close!

You have to take the long, broad view with organizations like the NRA and the fight for the right to bear arms. Life is full of compromise; look at your own life and you will find many instances of compromise. Imagine living a hundred and thirty five years and dealing with millions of people, working with thousands of legislators, lawyers, jounalists and judges. Do you think if you had to do all that you would never have to compromise? Think about it.

So let's cut our friends some slack if they don't do everything just as we would like them to.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    The NRA has been actively involved with every conceal carry statute that has been passed across the country. Without the organization and strength of the NRA none of us would be carrying - ccw or oc.

If you have an issue with a local rep talk to them personally. If they will not talk with you contact your regional rep. If that doesn't help, bump it up to the national folks.

Or just bend over and let the Brady Bunch have their way with you.
    NRA Life Member

mrm
    Concealed means just that
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links