Moving to Colorado for the Summer

This is a discussion on Moving to Colorado for the Summer within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I am moving to work for a few months in Colorado... which doesn't have reciprical laws with Ohio . And from what I hear ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Colorado for the Summer

So I am moving to work for a few months in Colorado... which doesn't have reciprical laws with Ohio . And from what I hear it can take up to a few months to even get a Colorado permit. I am not excited to have to be disarmed for the summer.

What about Open Carry?

Of course, that would cover simply being out and about, except in towns where there are restrictions. With no mention of what line of work you would be doing, if any, that might well not be worth even worry about carrying.

Knife, pepper spray, walking stick ... whatever else is not otherwise dictated by statute.

HandgunLaws.us , for a start, if you haven't already checked .
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Is there time to get a Utah non-res permit, if that would cover your states?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Colorado does not honor non res permits.

I am not sure how long you have to be a "resident" to get a CO permit. I don't remember reading on that one anywhere.

Call the County Sheriffs office where you are planning on moving to. Hopefully it is a CC friendly county - READ...We may be shall issue, but there are counties that make it very difficult to obtain. I.E. schedule an appointment to drop off your application, limited days and hours that they can be dropped off...
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

You can have a pistol any where in your vehicle. You can open carry. Only place you cannot open carry is in Denver. As always check the rules on where you can and cannot have a gun. No round in the chamber of long guns in vehicles.

Semper Fi

Exactly what BkCo1 said. OC is legal in this state everywhere with the exception of Denver and of course all the other usual places prohibited by law. Be sure to check on the state statutes to see where else guns are not allowed.

You can have a firearm in you vehicle at all times without a permit and we don't have any crazy laws saying that it must be visible in the car (i.e. on the dash or seat). You can legally conceal it in your vehicle without any problems and travel the state like that.

Hope you enjoy your stay out here.

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    You can have a pistol any where in your vehicle. You can open carry. Only place you cannot open carry is in Denver. As always check the rules on where you can and cannot have a gun. No round in the chamber of long guns in vehicles.

Semper Fi
    There are more palces than Denver. Aurora bans it. There was another little town but I forget that name. I'd be shocked if Boulder hasn't banned it by now.

MountainPacker, Do you have a link for the ordinance showing that Aurora bans it. First I've heard of that and it would be nice to know. I only know about the state ruling allowing the exception for Denver to ban OC.

Thanks for "learning" me something today.

A quick look and I found this info concerning some towns around Denver.

Here's a couple more laws related to openly carrying firearms in the Front Range (or Denver Metro) area.

Broomfield: from City & County of Broomfield

9-28-010 Disorderly conduct prohibited.

(A) It is unlawful for any person to intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly:

(1) Make a coarse and obviously offensive utterance, gesture, or display in a public place when such utterance, gesture, or display causes injury, or tends to invite fighting or an immediate breach of the peace;

(2) Fight with another in a public place except as a participant in a sporting event;

(3) Not being a peace officer, discharge a firearm in a public place except when engaged in lawful target practice or hunting; or

(4) Not being a peace officer, discharge or display a firearm, or display any article used or fashioned in a manner to cause a person to reasonably believe that the article is a firearm, or represents verbally or otherwise that he or she is armed with a firearm in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm.

Thornton accessed via http://www.municode.com/resources/co....asp?stateID=6

Sec. 38-241. Prohibition on the open carrying of firearms.

The City of Thornton hereby prohibits the open carrying of a firearm, as defined in Section 38-237 of the Code, in any city building or in or upon any City property including but not limited to parks, open spaces or trails that exist within the City of Thornton and that have a sign posted at the entrance to any City building or City property informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in such building or area.

(Ord. No. 2767, § 1, 3-25-03)

Wheatridge (link above)
    Sec. 16-86. Brandishing, etc., deadly weapons.

(a) It is unlawful for any person to display, brandish or flourish a deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm or for any person to intentionally and without lawful excuse, justification or purpose, aim or point a firearm at another person; provided, that the provisions of this section shall not apply to any situation that constitutes a felony under state law.

(b) In this section "deadly weapon" includes firearms, knives, hatchets and dangerous clubs.

Aurora (link above)
    Sec. 94-144. Unlawful concealment and display.

(a) Concealment. It shall be unlawful for any person to wear under his or her clothes or carry concealed on or about his or her person any illegal or dangerous weapon, including but not by way of limitation any firearm, slingshot, razor, dirk, dagger, or any knife, nunchaku, throwing stars, or any illegal or dangerous weapon.

(b) (skipped)
    (c) Display. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly, recklessly, or negligently display, flourish, or brandish any illegal or dangerous weapon, including but not limited to those enunciated in subsection (a) of this section, in such manner as to reasonably cause fear of bodily injury to another person.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    29-11.7-104 : State law says that if a local municipality enacts a ban on open carry, then they must post the building or area (except Denver because they won the court challenge). Don't much care what Thornton or Aurora wants wants to put on the books, good luck enforcing it.

Not that I plan to be a test case any time soon, I prefer CC unless I'm out in the woods.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

..we also have Castle Doctrine for home coverage.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I am going to be in Longmont for about 10-11 weeks. Don't know what Boulder County's OC policy is. Either way it is just a pain that one of the few states that doesn't recognize Ohio's CC permit, is the one I have to live in. >.<

I read where I could be in trouble for even having a gun in the trunk of a car while driving through Denver (I-70). I take that route every year to the western slope in an RV and always feared getting pulled over in Denver.

Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I read where I could be in trouble for even having a gun in the trunk of a car while driving through Denver (I-70). I take that route every year to the western slope in an RV and always feared getting pulled over in Denver.

Is that correct?
    Not correct. I find plenty of other reasons to avoid Denver though.

Can I carry in my vehicle in Denver? YES

18-12-105.6. Limitation on local ordinances regarding firearms in private vehicles.

(2) (b) …no municipality, county, or city and county shall have the authority to enact or enforce any ordinance that would restrict a person's ability to travel with a weapon in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance while traveling into, through, or within, a municipal, county, or city and county jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times the person stops in a jurisdiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post

Is that correct?
    Carry in your car is legal regardless of the county or city in Colorado. Denver tried to regulate that but the state said no way. So, no worry's when traveling through Denver as long as your firearm remains in your vehicle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links