Doh! Got made and asked to leave

This is a discussion on Doh! Got made and asked to leave within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is one of my nightmares In Michigan, we are an open carry state; It would be a suprise to bystanders, but not against the ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Doh! Got made and asked to leave

VIP Member
    This is one of my nightmares

In Michigan, we are an open carry state; It would be a suprise to bystanders, but not against the law.
    This is why the first thing I do when getting out of the car , is prior to doing anything, I stand with my back to my open car door, and make sure everything is tucked good and proper, prior to gassing up, and whatnot.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

Gas stations are easy targets for a quick robbery.. Why in the hell would you dicourage a law abiding citizen from carrying in your store? A CFP holder could save his ass some day.. Ya never know..

I bet my face will go bright red and my mouth will disconnect from my brain if someone were to start giving me **** for carrying.. I should probably practice some responses ;)
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Anytime I get out of my vehicle,or do any bending or arm movements where I feel my shirt ride up I check and make sure my shirts covering my 1911 and spare mags.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I made a similar bone-headed move just south of Richmond.

When I am in the car for a long trip, I will often pull my shirt up over the grip of my ccw just so it's easier to get to from a seated position. It was a couple months ago - winter - and I had put my overcoat in the back seat. I was driving with the wife.

I got out to pump gas without checking my shirt status. As I was pumping the gas, I turned and saw a surprised older lady with her eye on my belt. I tried to turn nonchalantly, then pulled the shirt down over my P226. My wife and I both used the bathroom and bought a water. We went back to the car to get back on the interstate.

As I will pulling onto I-85 South, a VA trooper wheels in behind me and follows for about two or three miles and then turns off at the next exit. End of story.

I assumed he ran my plates, saw we both had our CHPs from NC, and let it go.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm glad you realized that other than a temporary inconvenience, it was no big deal, and you were 100% correct in you reaction.

Coffee is about 95% profit for the quickie shops. His loss financially, your gain thru experience.

Hats off to you for not making a scene or issue of it. His store, his rules.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    He wasn't breaking any laws. Sounds like the owner just didn't want gun owners in his establishment...that's his right.
    Now where is it, so we can avoid it
    Yep - and it's ALSO the OP's right to WRITE a Letter
    to the main office of that Gas Chain explaining WHY
    he won't do business there anymore.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Good post Bark'n

To the OP - if that guy was a manager and not the owner or stakeholder, he may not have the "managements" authority to refuse your patronage. A quick check on who owns the store and a short, professional letter expressing your dismay that you will now have to spend X amount of dollars at their competitor across the street might change things.

Or not, but who cares....
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    That's what I'm thinking too. Nowadays, does anybody still go inside to pay?
    I am always amused if/when I enter a gas station only to find the dork behind the counter with a cell phone latched to his/her ear, ignoring the customers. I often see the same thing at those parking kiosks. I realize the job sucks, but they're paying you to wait on customers, not jawbone your squeeze.

Why would I want to go exchange germs with some goofy kid at the counter or in a little box when I can conveniently pay at the pump?

When I was a 15 year-old working at a service station, we pumped your gas, cleaned your windshield, gave you directions, walked your cigarettes out to your car, and would even change your oil and give you a tune-up - often while you waited. Today, they are called gas stations, not service stations.

Now get off my lawn. Damn kids....

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    This is one of my nightmares

In Michigan, we are an open carry state; It would be a suprise to bystanders, but not against the law.
    This is why the first thing I do when getting out of the car , is prior to doing anything, I stand with my back to my open car door, and make sure everything is tucked good and proper, prior to gassing up, and whatnot.
    Ha-ha, I do the exact same thing and I imagine that everyone is staring at me.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    When I was a 15 year-old working at a service station, we pumped your gas, cleaned your windshield, gave you directions, walked your cigarettes out to your car, and would even change your oil and give you a tune-up - often while you waited.
    Were you in NJ and required to do that by law 'for customer safety'??
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I made a similar bone-headed move just south of Richmond.

When I am in the car for a long trip, I will often pull my shirt up over the grip of my ccw just so it's easier to get to from a seated position. It was a couple months ago - winter - and I had put my overcoat in the back seat. I was driving with the wife.

I got out to pump gas without checking my shirt status. As I was pumping the gas, I turned and saw a surprised older lady with her eye on my belt. I tried to turn nonchalantly, then pulled the shirt down over my P226. My wife and I both used the bathroom and bought a water. We went back to the car to get back on the interstate.

As I will pulling onto I-85 South, a VA trooper wheels in behind me and follows for about two or three miles and then turns off at the next exit. End of story.

I assumed he ran my plates, saw we both had our CHPs from NC, and let it go.
    How does a VA trooper run NC CHPs?
    I didn't realize that was possible.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    When I was a 15 year-old working at a service station, we pumped your gas, cleaned your windshield, gave you directions, walked your cigarettes out to your car, and would even change your oil and give you a tune-up - often while you waited. Today, they are called gas stations, not service stations.
    You left out checking the oil and tire pressure!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    How does a VA trooper run NC CHPs?
    I didn't realize that was possible.
    Maybe dispatch calls it in to the NC licensing authority? I know that by law for reciprocity the reciprocal state must have a 24-hour verification system, if it's just the NC state police I can't imagine why they couldn't check based on someone's vehicle registration...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

You handled yourself well, but I would really rethink how you are carrying.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

AzB
    When I was a 15 year-old working at a service station, we pumped your gas, cleaned your windshield, gave you directions, walked your cigarettes out to your car, and would even change your oil
    Did you also pump Ethyl and re-vulcanize tires?

Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links