Doh! Got made and asked to leave

This is a discussion on Doh! Got made and asked to leave within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by miklcolt45 How does a VA trooper run NC CHPs? I didn't realize that was possible. Good question. I am assuming with modern ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Doh! Got made and asked to leave

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    How does a VA trooper run NC CHPs?
    I didn't realize that was possible.
    Good question. I am assuming with modern technology, a trooper in a neighboring state would have some sort of privileged access to vehicle registration/DL data. I am not a LEO, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so I am not sure.

My CHP "number" is identical to my driver's license number, so I assumed they are connected in the NC state database. I recall reading somewhere over the last year that troopers had the ability to run licenses from other states off their in-car laptops. I simply assumed the cop ran my plates, and got my DL/CHP data as well.

Any LEOs care to comment?

P.S. - don't give NoVA back to DC, please. I like being able to carry when I'm in NoVA.
    Last edited by MadMac; March 24th, 2010 at 02:47 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Good job in being cool. I need to take heed of your reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Good question. I am assuming with modern technology, a trooper in a neighboring state would have some sort of privileged access to vehicle registration/DL data. I am not a LEO, nor did I stay at a Hilday Inn last night, so I am not sure.

My CHP "number" is identical to my driver's license number, so I assumed they are connected in the NC state database. I recall reading somewhere over the last year that troopers had the ability to run licenses from other states off their in-car laptops. I simply assumed the cop ran my plates, and got my DL/CHP data as well.

Any LEOs care to comment?

P.S. - don't give NoVA back to DC, please. I like being able to carry when I'm in NoVA.
    My mom is in dispatch and I had her run my tag number to figure it out. They run the tag first. The registered owners name comes up. If they click on the name, the personal info comes up including the CCP if you have one. The CCP info is in red. So, once the tag is run the LEO is one click from knowing you have a CCP if it's from NC. I basically assume they all do that extra click. May not be that way for all agencies but that's how the local PD works. Since the CCP and DL # are the same I would assume most agencies could get to that info.

To the OP, well handled. I would make sure the store knew I would not be coming back and why.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I just looked at handgunlaw.org and one of the exclusions even with a permit is "on private property when prohibited by the owner of the private property or posted as prohibited." I'm not a lawyer, but if the place was not posted could the manager prohibit him from carrying if he isn't the owner of the property? I wouldn't cause a stink or anything, I'd just go next door...but it just made me wonder. Any thoughts?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I just looked at handgunlaw.org and one of the exclusions even with a permit is "on private property when prohibited by the owner of the private property or posted as prohibited." I'm not a lawyer, but if the place was not posted could the manager prohibit him from carrying if he isn't the owner of the property? I wouldn't cause a stink or anything, I'd just go next door...but it just made me wonder. Any thoughts?
    Yes, AFAIK. The manager is acting as the property owner's agent. If the manager asks you to leave, leave, otherwise you are trespassing.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Since the CCP and DL # are the same I would assume most agencies could get to that info.

To the OP, well handled. I would make sure the store knew I would not be coming back and why.
    Thanks, Chief. I thought as much. Of course, I was in VA, and it was a VA trooper, but I assumd he had the point-n-click option like your mom - even though I am from a neighboring state. I appreciate the information.

I also agree the OP handled it well. You're carrying a gun, and don't need any hassles. Say sorry, and leave. Spend your money elsewhere.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Yes, AFAIK. The manager is acting as the property owner's agent. If the manager asks you to leave, leave, otherwise you are trespassing.
    And that's a point so many ignore or refuse to accept in relation to a business. A proprietor "owns" a business just as a homeowner "owns" a house. Managers and employees are staff and represent the owner, just as the homeowner's wife and kids do.

When a business owner/manager/employee says no to guns--whether posted or not--the correct thing to do is comply.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Oh well... Hope you made your coffee first so they had to throw that out too.

some people just don't understand They see gun and either think LEO or BG. They then think if your not one your the other.

It is the manager's right to ask someone to leave.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I would consider delivering a copy of the 2 following stories to that manager along with one of those "no guns = no money" cards. I would ask that he reconsider the value of welcoming licensed CC customers to his store as they are not the problem, so that you can continue patronizing his store.

It is certainly his right to prohibit firearms on his property, but he should post legal signs accordingly. This way, he will know that the next guy he makes having a gun is likely not there to pay for what he takes.

Video shows gunmen who killed Fort Worth clerk | Dallas - Fort Worth News | wfaa.com | Crime

Store Clerk Gunned Down In Kansas City - Kansas City News Story - KCTV Kansas City
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeiscrazy View Post
    Northern VA just needs to become it's only state. They could have all the gun laws they want.
    Things have changed much since the days of the "Army of Northern Virginia"...
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    To me, that's a pretty brazen, if not stupid thing to do. I wonder what a manager is going to do one day when they try that and the person is actually a robber and turns and shoves their gun in their face.

If the person they are asking is not a law abiding citizen with a ccw permit or a LEO, just what exactly are they going to do?

Personally, if I was a manager and I saw a gun peeking from underneath someone's clothing, THE LAST THING I WOULD DO, is give up any tactical advantage and risk getting shot right there on the spot by getting in someones face merely to ask if they are a LEO.

His right or not; sounds like the manager is a goofball!

"excuse me sir; are you a police officer?"
    My answer would be; that's none of your business, why?

Well your gun is showing.

Sorry, that was unintentional, and I'm licensed by the state.

Well I'm gonna have to ask you to leave.

LOL! fine by me, your lost revenue. I'll go down the road and give it to your competition. Have a super day!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Machina View Post
    I was filling up with gas before coming from northern VA to Richmond this morning at a gas station I use because of its proximity to my parent's house, whom I was visiting.

I was wearing a dress shirt and jeans, with my P11 at 3 o'clock IWB. I guess in the process of filling up it rode up, and I failed to check before going inside to get a caffeinated drink for the ride down and a pack of cigs. Not all the way, but some of the butt was exposed. While I was showing my ID to the cashier one of the manager tapped me on the shoulder.

"Excuse me, are you a police officer?"
    "No, just a citizen, why do you ask?" (I knew where this was going)
    "Well, why are you carrying a gun?"
    "For self defense"
    "Well, I'm going to have to ask you to leave"

Fair enough, I left the gas station, drove right next door, and got my cigs and caffeine without incident at the 7-11. My fault for not checking like usual before going in. Guess my morning cup of coffee didn't kick in fully yet. I'm surprised he was relatively calm, my house and gas station is about a 1/4 mile from a high school, so he could have flipped stuff.

First time I've gotten made, and first time I've been asked to leave. Ah well, could have been worse. Ideally concealed will stay concealed
    I think alot of people look at possession of guns either as a person's status as an LEO or a person's criminal intent. Not as a personal protection device.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeiscrazy View Post
    Northern VA just needs to become it's only state. They could have all the gun laws they want.
    Negative on that! Most of the good citizens in NOVA are of the left persuasion. Its the rest of the Commonwealth that saves us progunners in NOVA from having draconian gun laws the leftys want.

Quote Originally Posted by automan View Post
    I think alot of people look at possession of guns either as a person's status as an LEO or a person's criminal intent. Not as a personal protection device.
    Unfortunately, that is so very true.

-Bill

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    some people just don't understand They see gun and either think LEO or BG. They then think if your not one your the other
    Quote Originally Posted by automan View Post
    Great minds think alike don't they?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links