Doh! Got made and asked to leave - Page 5

Doh! Got made and asked to leave

This is a discussion on Doh! Got made and asked to leave within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bark'n To me, that's a pretty brazen, if not stupid thing to do. I wonder what a manager is going to do ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Doh! Got made and asked to leave

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    To me, that's a pretty brazen, if not stupid thing to do. I wonder what a manager is going to do one day when they try that and the person is actually a robber and turns and shoves their gun in their face.
    Inorite? I mean, if they are there for nefarious reasons, then that was one stupid move on the manager/owner's part. "Oh hi, just picking up a 6-pack before robbing the cash register."

And if they're not there for criminal reasons...why care if they're armed? To make an anti-gun statement I suppose (altho maybe not if it's an employee).
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    It would have been different had the manager asked him to leave and all the other customers in the store cheered like the manager is a hero... that would have ticked me off...

Sorry got a bit off track here.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Inorite? I mean, if they are there for nefarious reasons, then that was one stupid move on the manager/owner's part. "Oh hi, just picking up a 6-pack before robbing the cash register."
    Raising Arizona popped into my head when I read that.

"I'll be taking then Huggies here and what ever cash ya got in the register" Hyde, I want me a baby.....

Loved that movie... ahh, sorry...carry on.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post

And if they're not there for criminal reasons...why care if they're armed? To make an anti-gun statement I suppose (altho maybe not if it's an employee).
    That reminds me of the sensible (NOT!) gun laws that I lived under when I lived in Canada (BC) in the early 1970's. The law stated that when I desired to take my pistol to the shooting range, that I had to go to the RCMP (the Canadian LEOs) station, wait in line, and then fill out a form that stated exactly how long I was going to have my particular gun away from my home, and what that desired location was (such as the range).

They would then stamp and (typically) approve it (but sometimes sullenly ).

I always found the process not only annoying, but absurd: If I wanted to rob a bank or a liquor store, or murder someone, I sure as hell wasn't going to go to the RCMP to get their written permission to take my pistol off of my property, and also state my reason for doing so!!

A standard case of only a law that law-abiding citizens follow, and not the criminals!!!

-Bill

Yes, good job just leaving like others said. I too am very careful of staying concealed. Also when the weather starts heating up it can become a challenge to keep it under wraps depending on your gun and dress.
    Thanks for sharing, hope the duffus saw you go next door too!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

If the person they are asking is not a law abiding citizen with a ccw permit or a LEO, just what exactly are they going to do?

Personally, if I was a manager and I saw a gun peeking from underneath someone's clothing, THE LAST THING I WOULD DO, is give up any tactical advantage and risk getting shot right there on the spot by getting in someones face merely to ask if they are a LEO.
    I've wondered and thought the same thing. Waiting for a news story about a BG saying "cuz I was in here to rob your store, now where's your money sucker ... and since you are the Manager, get that SAFE OPEN NOW ".

Dumb... dumb... dumb.

Well OP handled it well, although I'm sure I would have thrown in, no problem... I can give the guys down the street all of my money and business, and I'll make sure my friends all know too.

Ive never gotten made before but I hope that I would act with the dignity and respect that you exhibited.

IPersonally, if I was a manager and I saw a gun peeking from underneath someone's clothing, THE LAST THING I WOULD DO, is give up any tactical advantage and risk getting shot right there on the spot by getting in someones face merely to ask if they are a LEO.
    Uh, yes. Jeeez. Sort of like walking up to an armed person and asking, "Are you planning to commit armed robbery here in my store?" Okay I guess if you're carrying a short-barreled shotgun when you do it, but otherwise?

So, this highlights something that I'm curious about, and that is what the law says regarding the penalty for being made. Here's what I'm told is a real-life scenario that happened to one my club's members.

He's in one of your typical 'old downtown' shopping areas of south Denver, and for whatever reason, gets made. The Citizen calls the police, claiming to have seen an armed individual (who I'm told was with his spouse) whom he/she believed to be possibly planning to rob a store. Police arrive, confiscate the weapon, and fine the guy $50 for disturbing the peace (which I actually don't have that big a problem with). The guy has to go retrieve his gun at the station, and apparently this whole process took most of the day and into the evening.

So, the reason I don't have a problem with the $50 fine is that I feel it's carelessness, and in fact I suspect it was not all that unintentional--this just based on some details relayed to me by the club employee. Pardon the double-negative euphemism.

I also respect very much how you handled it. It would have been nice if you could have thought to ask, "I'm licensed to carry a concealed weapon but respect your request. Does your company's policy prohibit [CCW] in its stores?" I'd like to be prepared with that question in order to a) make a point, and b) know what the manager thinks the policy is.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

well did you pay for the gas ?? how about posting the name of the station so we can all stay away.

Virginia is an Open Carry State, so there is no law or penalty regarding getting made. He can legally carry with it strapped to his side in plain view.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Raising Arizona popped into my head when I read that.

"I'll be taking then Huggies here and what ever cash ya got in the register" Hyde, I want me a baby.....

Loved that movie... ahh, sorry...carry on.
    yeah. great movie
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Will B. Droopy View Post
    That reminds me of the sensible (NOT!) gun laws that I lived under when I lived in Canada (BC) in the early 1970's. The law stated that when I desired to take my pistol to the shooting range, that I had to go to the RCMP (the Canadian LEOs) station, wait in line, and then fill out a form that stated exactly how long I was going to have my particular gun away from my home, and what that desired location was (such as the range).

They would then stamp and (typically) approve it (but sometimes sullenly ).

I always found the process not only annoying, but absurd: If I wanted to rob a bank or a liquor store, or murder someone, I sure as hell wasn't going to go to the RCMP to get their written permission to take my pistol off of my property, and also state my reason for doing so!!

A standard case of only a law that law-abiding citizens follow, and not the criminals!!!

-Bill
    wow

just....wow
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    It's never happened to me, but I'm a stickler for keeping my gun concealed and I wear my badge on my belt directly in front of it just in case.
    Concealed means concealed.

I apologize if this is a repeat as I did not read all the posts. Coming from NY if you see someone with a gun there you assume they are LE or criminal. Neither are particularly friendly in NY so no one I knew would even consider asking.

I'm just curious about how many LEO's actually have had people come up and tap them on the shoulder and ask them if are an LEO when not in uniform because their gun may have been exposed or printing?

To me, that's a pretty brazen, if not stupid thing to do. I wonder what a manager is going to do one day when they try that and the person is actually a robber and turns and shoves their gun in their face.

If the person they are asking is not a law abiding citizen with a ccw permit or a LEO, just what exactly are they going to do?

Personally, if I was a manager and I saw a gun peeking from underneath someone's clothing, THE LAST THING I WOULD DO, is give up any tactical advantage and risk getting shot right there on the spot by getting in someones face merely to ask if they are a LEO.
    Good point, by asking about the gun he could actually of helped a bad guy decide if the timing was right to rob the gas station. "Heck I'm made, they have my discription and me on tape, I might as well rob the place instead of just case it for later."

Some people just don't get it.
    To the original poster, what you should have done was hand him one of those, "I"ll take my business elsewhere." business cards and then left!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links