Doh! Got made and asked to leave

This is a discussion on Doh! Got made and asked to leave within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was filling up with gas before coming from northern VA to Richmond this morning at a gas station I use because of its proximity ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Doh! Got made and asked to leave

Doh! Got made and asked to leave

I was filling up with gas before coming from northern VA to Richmond this morning at a gas station I use because of its proximity to my parent's house, whom I was visiting.

I was wearing a dress shirt and jeans, with my P11 at 3 o'clock IWB. I guess in the process of filling up it rode up, and I failed to check before going inside to get a caffeinated drink for the ride down and a pack of cigs. Not all the way, but some of the butt was exposed. While I was showing my ID to the cashier one of the manager tapped me on the shoulder.

"Excuse me, are you a police officer?"
    "No, just a citizen, why do you ask?" (I knew where this was going)
    "Well, why are you carrying a gun?"
    "For self defense"
    "Well, I'm going to have to ask you to leave"

Fair enough, I left the gas station, drove right next door, and got my cigs and caffeine without incident at the 7-11. My fault for not checking like usual before going in. Guess my morning cup of coffee didn't kick in fully yet. I'm surprised he was relatively calm, my house and gas station is about a 1/4 mile from a high school, so he could have flipped stuff.

First time I've gotten made, and first time I've been asked to leave. Ah well, could have been worse. Ideally concealed will stay concealed
    $cris@caferacer>wakeup.sh
    sudo apt-get install caffeine
    Password:
    Unpacking...
    Caffeine installed correctly
    $cris@caferacer>startday.sh

2. Remove Ads

Nice of you to not be a bonehead about it. But that seemed a bit goofy as you would have been out of there in just minutes if all you wanted was a beverage and some smokes. Why would he care? Were they posted? Maybe I'm just missing some of the laws in VA...but that to me wasn't necessary for him to bother you. Doesn't sound like you were breaking any laws or stirring up a commotion.

Where and what type gas station? NOVA members would like to know where not to patronize
    I carry a bible and a gun. Your Point?

Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    Why would he care? Were they posted? Maybe I'm just missing some of the laws in VA...but that to me wasn't necessary for him to bother you.
    He wasn't breaking any laws. Sounds like the owner just didn't want gun owners in his establishment...that's his right.

Now where is it, so we can avoid it
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Question for LEO's on the forum...

I'm just curious about how many LEO's actually have had people come up and tap them on the shoulder and ask them if are an LEO when not in uniform because their gun may have been exposed or printing?

To me, that's a pretty brazen, if not stupid thing to do. I wonder what a manager is going to do one day when they try that and the person is actually a robber and turns and shoves their gun in their face.

If the person they are asking is not a law abiding citizen with a ccw permit or a LEO, just what exactly are they going to do?

Personally, if I was a manager and I saw a gun peeking from underneath someone's clothing, THE LAST THING I WOULD DO, is give up any tactical advantage and risk getting shot right there on the spot by getting in someones face merely to ask if they are a LEO.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

You did well just leaving!

Me?

If some idiot ever asks me "Are you a LEO"

I'd probably say:

"Hell yeah I'm a LEO August 21st...
    You must be a Pisces...
    My Ex wife is a Pisces...
    a nosey busybody just like yourself!"

(no offense to the fish sign peoples)

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I'm just curious about how many LEO's actually have had people come up and tap them on the shoulder and ask them if are an LEO when not in uniform because their gun may have been exposed or printing?

To me, that's a pretty brazen, if not stupid thing to do. I wonder what a manager is going to do one day when they try that and the person is actually a robber and turns and shoves their gun in their face.

If the person they are asking is not a law abiding citizen with a ccw permit or a LEO, just what exactly are they going to do?

Personally, if I was a manager and I saw a gun peeking from underneath someone's clothing, THE LAST THING I WOULD DO, is give up any tactical advantage and risk getting shot right there on the spot by getting in someones face merely to ask if they are a LEO.
    Im with you on this. Seems the manager could be asking for trouble he cant handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    It's never happened to me, but I'm a stickler for keeping my gun concealed and I wear my badge on my belt directly in front of it just in case.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

That manager sure had a pair: I would never ask an unknown armed man the time of day, much less tell him to leave!

Anyway, you just experienced one of my worst nightmares; I really hate the thought of getting made by anyone, much less being asked to vacate the premises. And that's exactly why I use a IWB tuckable Kholster and a little S&W .38 snubby; the gun and the holster are VERY tight to my body, so the chances of my shirt riding up (and staying up) are very slim (as well as any chances of the gun printing).

-Bill

The only ways to carry where you never need to be concerned about being "made" (short of a metal detector) are the Smartcarry and pocket carry.

Other methods are prone to printing, or the "bump" or "hug" frisk. Ask me how I know...

Glad you both handled it well. Maybe go back and give him one of those "no guns = no money" cards...

Take your business elsewhere.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

did you pay for the gas? or was it on the house?
    "Brains before Bullets"

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    did you pay for the gas? or was it on the house?
    I would presume he paid at the pump......
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    I would presume he paid at the pump......
    That's what I'm thinking too. Nowadays, does anybody still go inside to pay?

Or something like:

"Hell no I aint a LEO

My sign is "No Fishing From Bridge"
    “For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.”

VIP Member
    I've never had anyone ask, while OCing off duty. I do NOT wear my badge visibly, so anyone who doesn't know me, won't know I'm a LEO.

To the OP: I think you did well to leave without any negative interaction. Also, I hope he saw you go next door.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links