Help with defensive carry stories

This is a discussion on Help with defensive carry stories within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know of a good online source for defensive carry good news stories. I'm looking for something with referenceable examples, some place that links ...

Thread: Help with defensive carry stories

Does anyone know of a good online source for defensive carry good news stories. I'm looking for something with referenceable examples, some place that links to the actual news stories would be great.

I'm arguing with people up here in the great white north who seem to be of the opinion that the likelihood of a firearm actually saving you are next to none. They actually seem to think a women is in more danger from a rapist if she has a gun then if she doesn't.

I'd appreciate some good solid stories to reference.

Thanks a lot.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Scar270 View Post
    I'm arguing with people up here in the great white north who seem to be of the opinion that the likelihood of a firearm actually saving you are next to none.
    For most people, that statement is very likely true.

Thanks, that Armed Citizen one is exactly what I was looking for.

Maybe that statement is true for some, but when they decide it's true for all and deny my any ability to defend myself I take offense. Remember I live in a country where tasers are illegal, and pepper spray can only be carried for dog or bear defense, if you carry it for defense against people, the mere act of possessing it for that purpose is a crime.

Maybe that statement is true for some, but when they decide it's true for all and deny my any ability to defend myself I take offense. Remember I live in a country where tasers are illegal, and pepper spray can only be carried for dog or bear defense, if you carry it for defense against people, the mere act of possessing it for that purpose is a crime.
    Please don't take my comment too far. I simply stated that for many people, that statement is likely true. It's matter of statistical probablility. If you aren't associated with drugs, gangs, or a criminal enterprise in the US or Canada, your odds are decidedly MUCH better.

I am all for the right to keep and BEAR arms. However, I don't "argue" with people about how they perceive their own personal risk. It's a pointless discussion based on feelings.

I fully support the right of self-defense, and the right to the sanctity of one's home and property. Sadly, you guys didn't end up with that Bill of Rights thingy.

Lol, no worries, I didn't really take it that far, I'm just used to arguing with Liberals and have to make darn sure I get my point across, sometimes I come back stronger then intended on a friendly forum.

We have a bill of rights, kinda, sorta, with exceptions.... much like being sort of pregnant.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    On another(non firearms) forum I got into just this sort of discussion.
    One guy asked a few of us "What makes you think I or anyone who chooses not to carry a gun can't defend themselves?"
    I countered with "Since you feel you don't need to carry a gun, please tell me what your plan is, when somebody points one at you?"
    The priceless response was"I will cross that bridge when I get to it. I will also live or not live with my decision."
    Some people will never understand.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

lol i love ruger girls response of what you will do when someone points one at you. I feel the same way I do not really argue with people about firearms but my theory is this is life you never know what can happen. I would much rather be prepared then say if i only had a firearm or weapon this situation would have turned out differently.

Check out Gun Rights Report - the right hand column has quite a few stories. Also The Armed Citizen as someone pointed out is one of the best.

Stay vigilant!
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

VIP Member
    Thanks, that Armed Citizen one is exactly what I was looking for.

^^^YEAH^^^^^^^^^

Kanada,
    Nice place to ,,,, look at on a map, but I wouldn't want to visit,er, live there.
    I hate it when I have to go there for work. most of the people are very nice, but It sucks, that you haven't the guts to revolt.
    at least they are considering trashing the gun registry.
    There may be hope for you guys after all.

I've discovered that I often visit the state of confusion, and I know my way around pretty well.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Good URLs, but I have a slight problem with at least one of the stories on the "Real Life Armed Self-Defense Stories" Website, and I've only read three of them. Not only do the ones that I read have no corroboration of any kind, but here is a story from that site that is either false, or else from a completely clueless individual. (Condensed for brevity; bolded for emphasis):

STORY FROM "Real Life Armed Self-Defense Stories":

"From: Jeremy Hunter
    I live in L.A., and I like to ride my bike to work. One day, a mugger charges out of an alley beside the street. So I...drew [my] revolver. I always fill my revolver with soft lead points. Fully jacketed rounds tend to penetrate very deep at incredible velocity, causing damage that is usually fatal. Soft points penetrate only about an inch and expand, stopping quickly. This causes incredible pain but is rarely fatal. I fire a round into [the mugger's] stomach. He cries in pain but keeps coming, a little slower. This guy's tough. Two more rounds and he's on the ground, unconscious.

What's the moral of the story? If you want personal defense, carry a small revolver with soft-point rounds. They have fantastic "stopping power" but will almost never kill a person. Sometimes it is wise to load two chambers with fully-jacketed rounds so that you have extra power if necessary. This is one of the advantages of revolvers: it is possible to strategically load the chambers with different types of rounds, then quickly select a type appropriate to the application.

Carry soft-points and shoot them up in the air if you think only a scare will be necessary. If this fails, it usually takes only 1 or 2 rounds to stop a criminal."

END STORY

Guys, I'm not saying that all of these short defense accounts are fictitious, but some appear to be mighty suspect; and the Moderator for that particular website only comments on this particular story in a very wishy-washy way...

-Bill

Will B Droopy, thanks for the headsup on that site. I did notice that they were uncorroborated stories right away, probably some interesting reading, but useless for making a point to anti's with.

oneshot, just curious what parts of the great white north you end up travelling to for work. I don't blame people who are used to being able to look after themselves for not liking having to travel without that ability.

People up here are starting to get upset with the police over a variety of issues, and as that happens I think you'll start to see more cry for people to be able to look after themselves, but it's just starting, as the western provinces gain population and political power hopefully things will change too, it's actually a great help that many states are going with concealed and open carry, and showing that the world doesn't fall apart, unfortunately many of the anti gunners are also anti USers, who dismiss any data of any kind from the US, but hopefully we are getting the message through to the average joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    On another(non firearms) forum I got into just this sort of discussion.
    One guy asked a few of us "What makes you think I or anyone who chooses not to carry a gun can't defend themselves?"
    I countered with "Since you feel you don't need to carry a gun, please tell me what your plan is, when somebody points one at you?"
    The priceless response was"I will cross that bridge when I get to it. I will also live or not live with my decision."
    Some people will never understand.
    Actually, it sounds like he understands his decision not to carry a gun may result in his own death. Far more realistic than most antis are, I'd give the guy a little credit.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

look on this forum it has state by state stories of people who carry
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Sponsored Links