locked in car on school property

This is a discussion on locked in car on school property within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here in Washington state it is illegal to carry on school property (as I am sure it is everywhere.) My question is if I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: locked in car on school property

locked in car on school property

Here in Washington state it is illegal to carry on school property (as I am sure it is everywhere.) My question is if I have it unloaded and locked in my keyed lock box in my car, am I ok to attend my son's soccer game? Can't go home to leave it and sure wouldn't like to go unarmed all day.
    Μολὼν λαβέ G19 G36

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Technically you're not "carrying," but ask an attorney. I don't see a problem with it being locked in a car, but...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I'm not familar with the laws in Washington, is there someplace reasonably close, but off school property that you can park, until you
    have a definitive answer?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Washington state is different than here in Colorado. But here you are allowed to carry in your car even on school grounds, but if you leave your car the gun must stay in it.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

in GA youd be breaking the law as with any other off limits place
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

VIP Member
    RCW 9.41.280
    Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities — Penalty — Exceptions.

(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:

(a) Any firearm;
    e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;
    Short answer, either leave the gun at home, or park off school property.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger3 View Post
    Here in Washington state it is illegal to carry on school property (as I am sure it is everywhere.) [emphasis added]
    Not quite true everywhere.

Here in Va, I can carry in the parking lot, traffic circle, various access roads, as long as concealed -- e.g. picking up and dropping off your kids.

18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited.

A. If any person possesses any (i) stun weapon as defined in this section; (ii) knife, except a pocket knife having a folding metal blade of less than three inches; or (iii) weapon, including a weapon of like kind, designated in subsection A of 18.2-308, other than a firearm; upon (a) the property of any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (b) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (c) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

B. If any person possesses any firearm designed or intended to expel a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material while such person is upon (i) any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (ii) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (iii) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony; however, if the person possesses any firearm within a public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school building and intends to use, or attempts to use, such firearm, or displays such weapon in a threatening manner, such person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of five years to be served consecutively with any other sentence.

The exemptions set out in 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) persons who possess such weapon or weapons as a part of the school's curriculum or activities; (ii) a person possessing a knife customarily used for food preparation or service and using it for such purpose; (iii) persons who possess such weapon or weapons as a part of any program sponsored or facilitated by either the school or any organization authorized by the school to conduct its programs either on or off the school premises; (iv) any law-enforcement officer; (v) any person who possesses a knife or blade which he uses customarily in his trade; (vi) a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container, or a knife having a metal blade, in or upon a motor vehicle, or an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon a motor vehicle; or (vii) a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school. For the purposes of this paragraph, "weapon" includes a knife having a metal blade of three inches or longer and "closed container" includes a locked vehicle trunk.

[emphasis added]
    Other States have other exceptions and variations.

FWIIW tangent: Note exception for:
    (vi) a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container, or a knife having a metal blade, in or upon a motor vehicle, or an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon a motor vehicle
    Which OKs the kid have a gun on school property for hunting before or after school.
    Last edited by DaveH; March 23rd, 2010 at 10:21 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

In FL, you're breaking the law...in WA you are also.

From WA state...
    Places off-limits when carrying:

Washington defines a number of places you cannot carry:
    1. Any place where carrying firearms is prohibited by federal law
    2. Public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas/facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools (RCW 9.41.280)
    3. On the site of an "outdoor music festival" (RCW 70.108.150)

If caught, you'd have some splainin' to do...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

SC recently passed a law allowing CWP holders to keep guns securely locked in their car on campus...I'm a teacher so, yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    in GA youd be breaking the law as with any other off limits place
    Georgia will allow you to have it in your car if you are picking up or dropping off a student though, even if you park and enter the school to pick up/drop off said student.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    Georgia will allow you to have it in your car if you are picking up or dropping off a student though, even if you park and enter the school to pick up/drop off said student.

yes but hes talking about at a soccer game in GA youd be in trouble....and at any other public gathering its illegal to leave the gun in the car too.....
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Short answer, either leave the gun at home, or park off school property.
    archer51 should have read a little further in the RCW:
    (3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:

(f) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age legally in possession of a firearm or dangerous weapon that is secured within an attended vehicle or concealed from view within a locked unattended vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school;

(g) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age who is in lawful possession of an unloaded firearm, secured in a vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school; or
    Read full RCW 9.41.280 here.

Duh...KEEP QUIET! SHUT UP! DON'T BRAG! DON'T NAG! KEEP IT CONCEALED! TELL YOUR WIFE AND KIDS TO DO LIKEWISE!

Quote Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
    archer51 should have read a little further in the RCW:

Read full RCW 9.41.280 here.
    Ya, I read that but don't think watching a soccer game would be considered " legitimate business."
    Μολὼν λαβέ G19 G36

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger3 View Post
    Ya, I read that but don't think watching a soccer game would be considered " legitimate business."
    I'm not a lawyer, so my opinion doesn't really matter, but I think it would.

But I could be totally wrong (it has happened before).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links