How did you approach your boss about being able to carry at work? - Page 3

How did you approach your boss about being able to carry at work?

This is a discussion on How did you approach your boss about being able to carry at work? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thankfully I am an independent contractor and don't have to fool with this stuff anymore. But I did not ask. I concealed well and didn't ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How did you approach your boss about being able to carry at work?

Thankfully I am an independent contractor and don't have to fool with this stuff anymore. But I did not ask. I concealed well and didn't worry about it.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Jon- welcome to the group! Hope you get as much out of it as I have.

Virginia is a 'right to work' commonwealth... which means it's 'right to fire' as well. If they don't like your hairstyle they can let you go. If they let you go 'for cause' they won't have to pay unemployment, so usually they will find something to fire you for. In your case, if you are discovered carrying, they are likely to fire you for creating a hostile environment (for the antis) or trump up some other charge. If you ask first, they're likely to get rid of you for some other reason, but you'll still be out the door.

If you choose to carry (since there's nothing in the handbook to prohibit it), I would recommend for-reals deep concealment.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

During my interview I was asked if I owned a weapon. I said yes, he said good, because it was a prerequisite.

lol. I just got on with an Armored Truck Company.

It feels great to be allowed to carry at work.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Tell him you are a highly trained operator with specialty in executive protection,If he plays his cards right he can have his own personal one man Secret Squirrel Security Team free of charge
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    How did I approach my boss? Well my boss, the owner of the company and one of the "administrative assistants" have their licenses so it wasn't a big deal for me.
    I'm in a similiar situation.....the hotel I work for is privately owned and the owner is quite approachable. Also, considering the hotel has been the site of NRA fundraisers I didn't think I was going too far out on a limb when I inquired about carrying.
    Actually he seemed a bit surprised I'd taken so long to inquire about it especially since I work graveyard!

Heck, he even said that my talking to him about it reminded him he needed to renew his!
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

I didn't - there is a sign on oevery door that this is a "secure" building and no weapons of any kind are allowed (how secure a building can be without any means to keep it secure is beyond me). So, I don't carry at work.

If the sign wasn't there, it wasn't in my employee handbook, and it isn't against the law (check to make sure about public buildings in your state), then I would just carry without telling anyone.
    3 cats, 2 dogs, 1 husband
    2008 Suzuki C50
    2008 Sig 239

To the OP,

This is the question a majority of us ponder at some point.

The real question is, "What is more important, your safety, or your job?"

You and you alone have to weigh the pros and cons of your situation, and make the decision. Your employer basically only has control of your life while you are on the clock, and then only so far as what you are doing, and where you are doing it. Beyond that, it is you and your choices.

My employer does not have it in print in our employee handbook, but it is verbally stated at every annual employee meeting. My choice to carry. 3 people know (got made), which probably equals 10 (people talk). Management may know. We don't discuss it.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Plecotus View Post
    Contact the city's human resource department and ask what the policy is.
    I would take this route. You'll get the info you need yet keep your identity safe just in case.

Up until January of this year my company had a policy of no weapons in the company vehicle. That made things awkward since I gave my personal car to my son and I only drive the company car. Driving to the shooting range on Saturday afternoon was breaking company policy.

Out of the blue they changed the policy to "you must obey all state laws" and dropped the "no weapons in vehicle" policy. There is no mention about having a handgun on your person, and I'm not bringing it up.

I think as soon as you ask the question, you'll see that it will magically appear in your employee hand book.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jon34511 View Post
    I got my CHP last week, and read through my employee manual and it didn't say anything about employees not allowed to have weapons. Would you ask your boss before carrying, or just do it considering the handbook made no reference, and if you did ask your boss, how would you do it?
    If you ask your boss, it may "appear" in the employee manual after your discussion.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jon34511 View Post
    Hmm I will reread the employee handbook tonight just to double check. I'd think carrying without permission and getting caught would be a lot worse for me then asking and getting denied.
    Why? You're not doing anything illegal or against company regulations.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't given a handbook when I was hired many years ago. Before I knew any better and before I took my class I asked a couple of mangers about carrying at work and they didn't know of anything against it. I had another problem later on so i was going to get a book from HR and look up that issue and the handgun issue at the same time. HR told me they didn't give out handbooks for me to tell them my questions and they would answer them for me. The first question I was having an issue with a manager and didn't want him finding out that i had gone to HR about it and i wasn't going to ask them about carrying at work if there wasn't a policy against it there might end up being one shortly so i just told them never mind. I'm very in favor of "Don't ask, don't tell" if there is nothing in writing.

Quote Originally Posted by DropTop View Post
    I wasn't given a handbook when I was hired many years ago. Before I knew any better and before I took my class I asked a couple of mangers about carrying at work and they didn't know of anything against it. I had another problem later on so i was going to get a book from HR and look up that issue and the handgun issue at the same time. HR told me they didn't give out handbooks for me to tell them my questions and they would answer them for me. The first question I was having an issue with a manager and didn't want him finding out that i had gone to HR about it and i wasn't going to ask them about carrying at work if there wasn't a policy against it there might end up being one shortly so i just told them never mind. I'm very in favor of "Don't ask, don't tell" if there is nothing in writing.
    You are not allowed to have an employee handbook.....wow, how odd does that seem?
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links