How did you approach your boss about being able to carry at work?

This is a discussion on How did you approach your boss about being able to carry at work? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work for the local city library on the weekends. I drive the truck between each of the 6 libraries and deliver the books between ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you approach your boss about being able to carry at work?

I work for the local city library on the weekends. I drive the truck between each of the 6 libraries and deliver the books between the libraries whenever a person requests a book that isn't at the library near them. I have to go to some really shady parts of town (not that it matters cause crime happens everywhere).

I got my CHP last week, and read through my employee manual and it didn't say anything about employees not allowed to have weapons. Would you ask your boss before carrying, or just do it considering the handbook made no reference, and if you did ask your boss, how would you do it?

My request will have to come via email because I only work weekends and my supervisor works during the week. I feel a little awkard asking because I don't want her to think something has happened that requires me to carry, but I would like to have my firearm on me at all times. Thanks!

AzB
    If there's no express rule, then I would just stay in deep conceal mode. The exception would be if you and your boss have a good rapport and you feel comfortable discussing this with her. Keep in mind though that you may not get the answer you want and then you might be in violation if you try to carry.

Where I work, the boss is not a gun person but believes in personal freedom. That, and sometimes it's just the two of us as we work late at night in an industrial park, and I think he feels safer knowing I'm armed.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

I think most people who carry at work would say "don't ask, carry concealed and nobody will know." That's what I would do anyhow.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

If it is not expressly against the law to carry a weapon during your particular job function and in the buildings you frequent, then I would just carry, since the quickest way to the unemployment line may occur if you ask your boss if you can carry a gun during work hours. (Heck, some people are so gun-phobic that even if they find out you carry a gun away from work hours, you may not fair too well...).

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by jon34511 View Post
    I work for the local city library on the weekends. I drive the truck between each of the 6 libraries and deliver the books between the libraries whenever a person requests a book that isn't at the library near them. I have to go to some really shady parts of town (not that it matters cause crime happens everywhere).

I got my CHP last week, and read through my employee manual and it didn't say anything about employees not allowed to have weapons. Would you ask your boss before carrying, or just do it considering the handbook made no reference, and if you did ask your boss, how would you do it?

My request will have to come via email because I only work weekends and my supervisor works during the week. I feel a little awkard asking because I don't want her to think something has happened that requires me to carry, but I would like to have my firearm on me at all times. Thanks!
    Keep it to yourself. If there's no expressed rule, don't get one created! Your boss doesn't need to know, nor does anyone else.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    If it is not prohibited by law or company regulation, then it is your business only. Don't ask if you are not prepared to get an answer you may not like. Most organizations knee-jerk reaction is to dis-allow the practice. They think that it protects them from liability if you go on a shooting spree. Whatever....

My employer is also my best friend and is fully aware that I have a CPL. However, I do not carry at work for legal reasons, so it is not really an issue for me.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I would not ask at all if there is no mention of it in your employee handbook or any other company docs that you would be required to adhere to. If it's not in writing ...don't ask , don't tell and keep it CONCEALED.

Hmm I will reread the employee handbook tonight just to double check. I'd think carrying without permission and getting caught would be a lot worse for me then asking and getting denied.

Does anyone have any experience working for a city and being able to carry? I know since they are not a private corp they have to follow different standards.

We have an old saying were I use to work.

"It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission."

If it's not specifically addressed then why bring it to their attention where thay can make it against policy?

You do Concealed Carry correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt58 View Post
    We have an old saying were I use to work.

"It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission."

If it's not specifically addressed then why bring it to their attention where thay can make it against policy?

You do Concealed Carry correct?
    I carry both open and concealed, but generally I carry concealed and would certainly carry concealed if nobody at my work knew otherwise.

Although primarily retired, I work in a tax office from mid Jan-mid Apr. I got my CHL last spring, and early this January before tax season started I broached the subject of carrying concealed at the office this tax season. The owner said she didn't know what corporate policy was, but would check. She personally did not appear to be against it after I pointed out that a business about a mile from us had been robbed 5 times in the past few months. Although we do NOT keep very much money on hand, BGs may not know that. About a week later, I brought up the subject again. I pointed out that I am generally scheduled to close the office in the evening when I work, and that I am frequently the only one in the office if we are not busy. I also pointed out that I'm not going to get in a gun fight over money, but also I am not going to meekly get forced into a back room and executed without a fight. Again, she did NOT say I couldn't carry, nor did she specifically say I could. As a result, I have carried every day/evening I have worked. No one has said a word about it, although a couple of people have noticed that my style of dress has changed from previous years--baggier cargo pants and looser untucked shirts instead of slim fit dress shirts. In mid Feb, one of the other employees mentioned he was going to the range on Saturday, and we got into a discussion about guns and shooting. I found out he has taken the CHL class, but had not applied for his license yet. I told him some info about how to apply, etc. and he know I have my CHL but neither he nor the other employee involved in the discussion asked me if I was carrying, nor did I volunteer the info. Always carry, never tell.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I would go through the policy with a fine tooth comb. Then I would weigh how well you and the boss get along and how you think they will take your question. After asking they may feel they need to add no firearms period to the policy and make it worse or she may feel its a good idea and be ok with it. The job market is tough these days and if my boss wasn't ok I wouldn't carry because I love my job however I also love my life. You must weigh the pros and cons. Good luck!

How did I approach my boss? Well my boss, the owner of the company and one of the "administrative assistants" have their licenses so it wasn't a big deal for me. For anyone who isn't so lucky, I'd take these suggestions everyone else has had. See if it's explicitly defined in company policy. If it is, decide how important carrying is to you.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Contact the city's human resource department and ask what the policy is.

VIP Member
    Every morning I look my boss in the mirror, comment on how good he looks, and confer with him on my armament for the day.

The down side is that if business doesn't pick up, he may have to let me go...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links