Brady Campaign Statements & Bedtime for Facts

This is a discussion on Brady Campaign Statements & Bedtime for Facts within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Preaching to the choir would be the appropriate cliche here, but... I happened to follow a link to the Brady Campaign web site, presumably because ...

Thread: Brady Campaign Statements & Bedtime for Facts

Brady Campaign Statements & Bedtime for Facts

Preaching to the choir would be the appropriate cliche here, but...

I happened to follow a link to the Brady Campaign web site, presumably because I wanted a cure for my chronic low blood pressure. At that site I of course found all sorts of things that I wanted to check out; one of these was a statement sort of as follows "Did you know that you're 5 [or 7] times more likely to be a victim of homicide in workplaces that permit weapons?" or something like that. I'm not quoting--but I'm close. This statement cited a report and the outfit that did the associated study.

So, I googled the outfit, found the study, and read it.

The report DID in fact say that, of the workplaces researched in the study, those run by companies having policies authorizing employees to carry weapons had a higher probability of homicidal events.

Here's the really interesting and significant fact ALSO STATED IN THE REPORT. The researchers had no way on knowing a) who was killed (employee or non-employee), b) how they were killed (firearm or other), c) if in the higher-homicide workplaces more employees carried weapons than in any others, or d) if firearms were involved in any of the homicides at any of the places studied.

In addition, the research outfit offered up, on their own in their own report, that it was possible that employers who operated in know high-crime areas could possibly be more inclined toward policies favorable to the CCW by employees, and this could be a factor in the correlation they found. That is: the workplace was already prone to a higher homicide rate, and the pro-carry policy of the employer was merely a result of that fact. This WAS NOT offered up as an observed fact--it was merely a speculation as to why there was a correlation at all.

Finally, the researchers stated in their report that they could not conclude ANYTHING causal--whatsoever [better than average researchers, I guess]--all they could even correlate was homicide-in-the-workplace-rates to company policies.

My immediate thought was: you should at least know WHO is being killed (employee or not) and HOW (gun, or not) before you make any implicative statements. Brady Campaign clearly doesn't care about any of that. Details, details. Based on actually reading the research report, I could just as easily and logically conclude the following: if you're a deranged/estranged spouse or a disgruntled ex-employee or anyone else looking for trouble, if you come to a workplace having a pro-carry policy, you're more likely to die.

Why does anyone have a problem with this? :)
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

2. Remove Ads

Yeah, so Brady lied? Astounding. They are a bunch of liars. Take anything they say as a total lie, no research needed.

That would be too easy. It's not that they lie. It's that they provide selected facts in a way that implies something that their sources don't. They clearly implied (well, at least to me) that you as an employee are 5 times more likely to be a victim of homicide through the use of a firearm at the hands of another employee carrying a firearm. NONE of these implications was a part of the research, and the report itself states that fact.

This is the insidious part of what otherwise would be harmless lying.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    When have facts ever mattered to the Brady Bunch?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

It has been determined that if you like collecting wild honey you wil get the H stung out of you.I made that up all by myself,It has also been determined if you disturb a wasp nest you can't run faster than they can fly
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Did they include the military as "workplaces that permit weapons?" What about LEO's?

Is drug dealing a career?
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Studies and statistics can be manipulated to portray whatever perception the presenting entity is trying to perpetuate.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Do you want to know how you can tell if a Brady Buncher is lying?

Their lips are moving!
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Kinda like the Brady Bunch saying that you now have to worry about guns going off around the campfire in our National Parks now that CC is allowed......
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

The Brady Bunch nearly always lies and when they do tell the truth it is only bits and pieces of it. They know that most people aren't going to research their statistics like you did so they know they can get away with using only the bit favorable to their agenda.

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. The Brady Bunch knows how to make expert use of all three.

Links