Pastor Forming Armed Security Team for Church

This is a discussion on Pastor Forming Armed Security Team for Church within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, here I was all ready to polish up my bullet and put it in my shirt pocket. Wait, not so fast Deputy Fife. Thanks ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Pastor Forming Armed Security Team for Church

Well, here I was all ready to polish up my bullet and put it in my shirt pocket. Wait, not so fast Deputy Fife.

Thanks for all your input guys. I hope the Pastor has thought this through as well as you guys have. We will be meeting on Sunday afternoon for the first time and you've given me plenty to bring up.

Thanks again

2. Remove Ads

I'll be interested to hear what the HPD Sgt has to say.

Also, stupid, but unfortunate question -- does the church's liability insurance enter into this?

Our church also has a "team", very covert, and very informal. You can not cross the line as being an official armed security team, unless you apply for such.

<---- also a minister and also carry.
    Snub44 likes this.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

CERT

Quote Originally Posted by Willieboy View Post
    What do you guys think of the Pastor's idea. Armed men in God's house to protect the folks.
    On the surface, for this forum, it's a good idea. However, in an all-hazards world, in which we live, it does not go far enough.

In other words, a bullet is of little use against a fire or tornado.

If you will look at the hazards local to you, I think you will find weather, including flood, and fire will impact you more than an armed intruder.

As a result, I encourage the congregations to investigate the Community Emergency Response Team training. While CERT does not train weapons, there's enough there to handle all the other hazards and add weapons with the Concealed Carry Permit.

Looking at the Big Picture helps you focus your efforts meaningfully, i.e. no tsunami warning needed in Kansas.

This is not to say the congregation should not have armed security. It is to say having armed security ONLY is not enough.
    Fltboyne likes this.
    Lloyd Colston KC5FM
    Altus, OK USA http://wx5em.us
    http://kc5fm.blogspot.com

My church doesn't have a security team or anything, however I'm armed when I'm there.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Well, here I was all ready to polish up my bullet and put it in my shirt pocket. Wait, not so fast Deputy Fife.

Thanks for all your input guys. I hope the Pastor has thought this through as well as you guys have. We will be meeting on Sunday afternoon for the first time and you've given me plenty to bring up.

Thanks again
    This is all good. Please stay in touch and let us know how it shacks out. Lot to learn here. Thanks
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    ...What do you guys think of the Pastor's idea. Armed men in God's house to protect the folks.
    As my pastor said to me (re: carrying in church) - "Of COURSE you should carry in church! It's your JOB to protect the innocent!"
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    I'd love to find a church like that.

BTW, those were some well thought-out comments from Mr. Janq back there.

Let us know how it goes!

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    While I agree that there are a lot of considerations if planning to start an official armed security program, and lots of hoops to jump through which can be a huge hassle and require hours and days of time and lots of money, it is also possible that the pastor is simply wanting to have an awareness and fact sharing discussion and formulate a plan of action for contingencies. If they are not organizing a group or security detail, a lot of the legal and regulatory concerns will not apply.

I totaly support people being aware and in good communication with their Brothers and Sisters. You can have a plan and be prepared without all the bells and wistles of an official security detail.

Lets wait and see how their meeting goes this weekend and what that pastor has in mind before we jump on him for all the things he isn't doing.

But I do agree that it is definitly good to be aware of all the hoops to jump through and the potential ramifications of having an official security detail. Everyone's comments have given a lot of good things to consider.
    Walk softly ...

I think it's a great idea. We have discussed doing something similar in my church. Currently there are 2-3 of us carrying concealed during services. I have to be careful because our church is a "hugging" group. The best I can come up with while preaching is a KelTec P3AT in my hip pocket. Normally I carry something a little larger. I do like the idea of a trained tactical team keeping an eye on things from the balcony

Senior Member Array KiltedTexan's Avatar
    <----- another minister who carries
    XD Service .45 ACP
    XDM .45 ACP Bi-Tone
    Ruger LCR .38 Special +P CT
    Texas CHL
    NRA Member

Pastor Forming Armed Security Team for Church

In our church, if everybody were to show their carry, it would be about 60%. I would feel sorry if a bad guy were to attempt anything in there. Our Pastor has been threatened and he has 3 that stay with him everywhere. Church is the most non-defenseable of any place.
    Stupidity on YOUR part will not necessarily constitute an emergency on MINE!

GM
    That was a very good idea!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Our church also has a "team", very covert, and very informal. You can not cross the line as being an official armed security team, unless you apply for such.
    I would think this is a good approach. I carry in church but not in any official capacity. Besides know who else is supposed to be armed is there any advantages to becoming an official team? I would presume there could be liabilities involved.

Michael

What do you guys think of the Pastor's idea. Armed men in God's house to protect the folks.
    I think it's an exceptional idea.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links