Pastor Forming Armed Security Team for Church - Page 3

Pastor Forming Armed Security Team for Church

This is a discussion on Pastor Forming Armed Security Team for Church within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your Pastor is a smart man....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Pastor Forming Armed Security Team for Church

Administrator

Thumbs up

Your Pastor is a smart man.

I think it's a good idea. At a really big church on our end of town, the church office has had to lock their doors during the day because of all of the death threats they've received (a friend of mine works in the church office). And they've hired armed (concealed carry) security people to be present at all times during the services on Sundays.

Once I get my CCW permit, I intend to carry whenever we go to church.

Your pastor is a smart dude.

There are a lot of churches forming security teams or care teams. The PSB is pretty clear on armed security guards. You can send your guys to training and get their PSB license. You should check out Gatekeepers International.

Quote Originally Posted by Willieboy View Post
    The Pastor at my church sent me an email asking me to attend a meeting next Sunday to learn about a security team the church is forming. A Houston police sgt. will be addressing the group and talking about security issues in general and the churches weak points in particular. The pastor sent me the email because he knows I am one of four or five guys who carry at church.

I think this is a good idea because, while church services are in session, there are two groups of children in another part of the church. One group is made up of toddlers who are being entertained/supervised during the service and the other group is attending Sunday school.

Our church is kind of out in the sticks and I would have thought it would be relatively safe but, these days, I wonder if that can be taken for granted.

What do you guys think of the Pastor's idea. Armed men in God's house to protect the folks.
    Sounds like a great idea to me, wasn't there a shooting in a church a year or so ago? Not only here but other countries have shootings in churches. should have this kind of organized group in just about every public place imo.

I've posted this in other threads, but I'm on staff at a church that also has a preschool. Indiana law prohibits weapons on site, but allows carry if the property owner designates you as security. Our leadership said that's fine and gave me written permission, which I keep on me. We have several LEO's who attend every Sunday, but I'm usually at the many other events we have besides services.

One of our Elders is a reserve deputy and is looking at coordinating things with the other LEO's and a few of us so that at least 1 LEO is in the worship center during services and that we know where they're sitting. He's also talked about their department using our building for active shooter training.

I realize there are the other issues mentioned, such as liability, etc. but we haven't covered those things yet.

...there is also the possibility that an "official" church security team, especially of LEOs, would feel that they needed to keep the rest of the flock from carrying, which, in TX, they could do...and they'd lose members over such a decision...

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, this is a really old thread given CPR.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

...it'd be informational if the OP and others who posted 2 years ago would fill us in on progress, results, and impressions on effectiveness...
    Jaybm likes this.

The way the crazies are today, I think its a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Topspeed View Post
    I think more churches should start being more security conscious.
    An ounce of prevention is worth a worth a keg of powder.

I carry everywhere, including church.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

We started an Emergency Response Team a little more than a year ago. We are about 1/2 'Safety', almost all of whom carry, and 1/2 Medical. The Safety team wears ear-buds and radios and the medical team on duty carries a pager. We have a current LEO, a few retired LEOs, reserve LEOs, a bunch of normal guys with carry permits, an EMT, ER Nurses, other RNs, and a doc.

When we started, we added a rider on the church insurance policy that covers us. It was something they already had available that
    was quite inexpensive (I think less than $300/year).

So far we have had no 'Safety' incidents at all, but actually quite a few medical ones. Some may have happened previously and we would never have known about it, but now we're much more aware. But when a medical incident occurs, all of the safety people help out. We do crowd control, let the ambulace which door to go to, and help find granny's adult children so they can go with her to the hospital. And then we have the special needs child we had to search for on more than one occasion.

Our equipment consists of:
    - Medical
    - AED
    - Large First Aid Kit including:
    - Stethoscope
    - BP Cuff
    - O2 tank
    - Wheelchair
    - Safety stuff
    - Security System
    - About 20 cameras
    - 2 screens, 2 DVRs
    - Radios
    - With ear buds (not plugs) so you can hear around you too

So my advice is to do medical also. The 'safety' incident will be few and far between (thank God). But the medical will be much more common (especially if you are a multi-generational church like ours is). Know who all of the medical people in the church are and ask them to be part of the team. If you do nothing else, use 1 or 2 of the nursery pagers to give to the on-duty medical people so that they can be paged in case of an emergency.

pastor

i just preach with my side arm on.. works for me... :)

...is the AED the defib gizmo??? those are becoming more available...and make quite a difference if used quickly...mayhaps a local business or two would chip in and donate one if that's not what that is...the insurance is a comforting thing!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ElkSniper View Post
    We started an Emergency Response Team a little more than a year ago. We are about 1/2 'Safety', almost all of whom carry, and 1/2 Medical. The Safety team wears ear-buds and radios and the medical team on duty carries a pager. We have a current LEO, a few retired LEOs, reserve LEOs, a bunch of normal guys with carry permits, an EMT, ER Nurses, other RNs, and a doc.

When we started, we added a rider on the church insurance policy that covers us. It was something they already had available that
    was quite inexpensive (I think less than $300/year).

So far we have had no 'Safety' incidents at all, but actually quite a few medical ones. Some may have happened previously and we would never have known about it, but now we're much more aware. But when a medical incident occurs, all of the safety people help out. We do crowd control, let the ambulace which door to go to, and help find granny's adult children so they can go with her to the hospital. And then we have the special needs child we had to search for on more than one occasion.

Our equipment consists of:
    - Medical
    - AED
    - Large First Aid Kit including:
    - Stethoscope
    - BP Cuff
    - O2 tank
    - Wheelchair
    - Safety stuff
    - Security System
    - About 20 cameras
    - 2 screens, 2 DVRs
    - Radios
    - With ear buds (not plugs) so you can hear around you too

So my advice is to do medical also. The 'safety' incident will be few and far between (thank God). But the medical will be much more common (especially if you are a multi-generational church like ours is). Know who all of the medical people in the church are and ask them to be part of the team. If you do nothing else, use 1 or 2 of the nursery pagers to give to the on-duty medical people so that they can be paged in case of an emergency.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    While having an "armed security team" in a church might sound reassuring, there are many legalities and liabilities that may apply, depending on individual state laws. In FL, for instance, even if participation is "voluntary" you would be required to have a "G" license, which is issued to trained armed security persons. (Ref: FS 493) Church members could find themselves in violation of state law.
    farronwolf likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links