Out of State Permit and Reciprocity, what do you think? - Page 2

Out of State Permit and Reciprocity, what do you think?

This is a discussion on Out of State Permit and Reciprocity, what do you think? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SC is a hard one for us GA residents. They do not have reciprocity with us, they do not offer non-resident permits, and they will ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Out of State Permit and Reciprocity, what do you think?

SC is a hard one for us GA residents. They do not have reciprocity with us, they do not offer non-resident permits, and they will only honor permits of states they have reciprocity with if the licensee is a resident of that state.

The only way for a GA resident to get a permit that would cover them in SC is to buy real property in SC which is taxed. Then they would be eligible for a SC permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I would say get the Florida permit and be legal in SC. I live in Virginia and my job occasionally sends me to Brunswick, GA (FLETC). My Virginia permit is valid in all the states I would be in except GA. I got a NH permit before they went up in price and am legal in GA. I know HR 218 and it may not apply in my situation (Department of the Army Civilian Police) so just to be safe I used the non-LEO methods of staying legal.
    You're not reading the thread...this will not work. Non-resident permits are not recognized in SC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    SC is a hard one for us GA residents. They do not have reciprocity with us, they do not offer non-resident permits, and they will only honor permits of states they have reciprocity with if the licensee is a resident of that state.

The only way for a GA resident to get a permit that would cover them in SC is to buy real property in SC which is taxed. Then they would be eligible for a SC permit.

i just need to get a florida address
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Difference between a DL and CCW is Driving is a priviledge,and under the second amendment bearing firearms is a right
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I am afraid that, knowing how the federal Government acts, that a National Reciprocity Agreement would more likely turn into a National Permit law. That would turn out so that Politicians, judges, LEOs and wealthy patrons could carry and the rank and file would be so restricted so as to make it almost impossible to carry. By being subtle in their restrictions, they could avoid crossing the absolute line in the 2d A (Infringing, vis-a-vis the NFA). Leave it at state level, so us middle class and working class stiffs can carry. We scream that we distrust the Federal Government out of one corner of the mouth and then say we want the FG to control things out of the other corner. Leave the Feds out of it.

I personally have reservations about non-resident permits anyways. Smacks to me of one state usurping another states sovereignty, I don't want Utah demanding Tennessee follow Utah's laws. Reciprocity is state to state cooperation, non-resident permits are messing in another state's business.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    I am afraid that, knowing how the federal Government acts, that a National Reciprocity Agreement would more likely turn into a National Permit law. That would turn out so that Politicians, judges, LEOs and wealthy patrons could carry and the rank and file would be so restricted so as to make it almost impossible to carry. By being subtle in their restrictions, they could avoid crossing the absolute line in the 2d A (Infringing, vis-a-vis the NFA). Leave it at state level, so us middle class and working class stiffs can carry. We scream that we distrust the Federal Government out of one corner of the mouth and then say we want the FG to control things out of the other corner. Leave the Feds out of it.

I personally have reservations about non-resident permits anyways. Smacks to me of one state usurping another states sovereignty, I don't want Utah demanding Tennessee follow Utah's laws. Reciprocity is state to state cooperation, non-resident permits are messing in another state's business.
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

BINGO

That is absolutely my take and the reason I fear getting the Federal Government any more involved!

Last edited by DaveH; March 26th, 2010 at 10:53 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

re: dukalmighty

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Difference between a DL and CCW is Driving is a priviledge,and under the second amendment bearing firearms is a right
    True enough, but he still can't do what he wants to do.

We have had conversations here where folks (e.g., myself) spoke up for national reciprocity or a national CHL and were shot down by others using state's rights arguments and assertions (apparently correct) that to this point 2A only constrains Uncle, not the states.

So-yeah, its a right. So what? Big deal. It means nothings in practical terms.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    It depends on why one is getting a Non-Resident permit.
    Some get one to be able to carry places their home state doesn't have reciprocity with. I am perfectly fine with this.

Some get it as away around their home states laws. I read that PA residents can get a Utah non-resident permit and be legal to carry in PA without having an actual PA permit. Things like this is where problems start.

All this non-resident stuff could be fixed if you were required to have a resident state permit to be legal in your home state. This would fix 99% of the problems that people claim non-resident permits open up.

I do not want to hijack this thread, but can a visitor to South Carolina have a handgun in the place (time share) where they stay and stay legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    It depends on why one is getting a Non-Resident permit.
    Some get one to be able to carry places their home state doesn't have reciprocity with. I am perfectly fine with this.

Some get it as away around their home states laws. I read that PA residents can get a Utah non-resident permit and be legal to carry in PA without having an actual PA permit. Things like this is where problems start.

All this non-resident stuff could be fixed if you were required to have a resident state permit to be legal in your home state. This would fix 99% of the problems that people claim non-resident permits open up.

The only one having an issue with this is Philadelphia Police Dept....they are claiming that residents are not qualified to get a PA LTCF are circumventing the law by obtaining UT or FL licenses. When they make that claim they are failing to realize that even in the states of UT and FL an applicant must pass a criminal background check.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    The only one having an issue with this is Philadelphia Police Dept....they are claiming that residents are not qualified to get a PA LTCF are circumventing the law by obtaining UT or FL licenses. When they make that claim they are failing to realize that even in the states of UT and FL an applicant must pass a criminal background check.

Thought I had posted that, but don't see it.

Any how see thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ere-begin.html
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post

ummm no traveling is also a "right" just as much as having a weapon....the right to freely travel is enumerated in our Magna Carta and and is cited under the 14th amendment...a stating that driving is only a privilege is a false idea
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

I have the same issue here in CT. Which has no reciprocity with any state that it borders.. (NY,RI,MA) And my state is very small.......
    What a pain in the arse...
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links