Would inform LEO??

This is a discussion on Would inform LEO?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by flyboy01 For the safety of the officer and yourself, you need to inform any officer in any state that you are armed ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would inform LEO??

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy01 View Post
    For the safety of the officer and yourself, you need to inform any officer in any state that you are armed and permitted. If pulled over, it is best to keep both hands on the steering wheel. If you don't plan to inform the officer, you could find yourself looking onto the barrel of the officers pistol while laying on the ground.
    I only NEED to inform them if it's required by law...otherwise I see no reason to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    IMO, it's polite and courteous to inform, even if not required to. I think it would look much worse if, for any reason, you had to get out of your vehicle and then your CCW was found...
    How exactly is it impolite or discourteous to choose not to inform them if you are not required by law to do so?
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

2. Remove Ads

SC is a "shall inform" state. If you're carrying, and are asked for ID by a LEO, you must present your CWP and inform the officer you are armed.

Think about it. You inform the LEO up front, calmly, that you are legally armed. Probably, all he will do is request you keep your hands away from it. Now, you don't tell him. During a subsequent search, or an accidental bump, or merely the sight of a suspicious bulge, he discovers it. You'll likely be eating some pavement and wearing chrome bracelets until he gets everything sorted out.

Show the LEO you're calm, courteous, professional, and legal and he'll act that way, too.

VIP Member
    As a LEO, I prefer people inform even when not required.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I agree with flyboy.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    As a LEO, I prefer people inform even when not required.
    As a LEO you should mind your own business unless required by law to be notified.
    guns rule

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSW40 View Post
    As a LEO you should mind your own business unless required by law to be notified.
    Once you get pulled over, you are my business. I didn't say you'd get proned out if you don't inform and I find out about it. I said "I PREFER" that you inform.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

It is our business because going home at the end of our tour is our goal. Not to say people are required to do so, but put the shoe on the other foot. When people let me know i see it as a sign of respect because i already know they have a concealed permit anyway because the information comes back when we run their license. Courtesy goes along way, especially when you are talking about a hundred dollar traffic ticket wouldn't you think?
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

I would not inform unless it is required by state law....or if there is the chance it will be discovered due to getting out of the car.

if it is not pertinent to the stop why even bring it up? It would just create undue tension. Should I also mention the cell phone in the console and the Burger King trash under the seat? It's all legal so what's the difference?

^ Sorry, but you're being ridiculous comparing a firearm to a cell phone. You took a class to be able to carry a firearm, and pay for a service to use a cell phone.. Get real.

I am on the side of the fence that informs the LEO out of respect for their position. They already know i'm a CFP holder, i'd prefer to inform that I am carrying and remove the doubt from the LEO who will otherwise be constantly thinking about it.

If informing an officer that you are carrying creates tension with an LEO, they more than likely anti-CC and think they're the only one who should carry a gun.. I'd report that guy, he's a dick. Or, the LEO might have good reason to be on high alert depending on your attitude.

.. And clean up the trash out of car, it's a pigpen... ;)
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Once you get pulled over, you are my business. I didn't say you'd get proned out if you don't inform and I find out about it. I said "I PREFER" that you inform.

yeah he just prefers it and i respect that but i remain mum if i do notify its only to GSP....
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

If you are going to pull me over for a speeding infraction what's the point....in Ga it doesn't show up in the system if I'm a Firearms License holder anyways.

Just telling about a concealed firearm is only going to make you inquire other things and make other things "your business" when all you're doing is writing you and me an appointment to both have our lives needlessly wasted in court for "speeding."

Last thing I want is a bias created by the officer for more needless harassment.
    guns rule

VIP Member
    If you are going to pull me over for a speeding infraction what's the point....in Ga it doesn't show up in the system if I'm a Firearms License holder anyways.

Just telling about a concealed firearm is only going to make you inquire other things and make other things "your business" when all you're doing is writing you and me an appointment to both have our lives needlessly wasted in court for "speeding."

Last thing I want is a bias created by the officer for more needless harassment.
    Perhaps the bias created is one different than you'd expect.
    Thomas Jefferson

Atlantis, it seems that you are projecting bias on the LEO due to your own.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Quote Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
    Atlantis, it seems that you are projecting bias on the LEO due to your own.
    Nope just a law abiding citizen here like everyone else that minds their own business....just think LEOs should do the same sometimes
    guns rule

Nope just a law abiding citizen here like everyone else that minds their own business....just think LEOs should do the same sometimes
    Well, if you are so law abiding, then you having to inform or not, is a moot point.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links