Would inform LEO??

This is a discussion on Would inform LEO?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bigdogtx Well, if you are so law abiding, then you having to inform or not, is a moot point. Well of course ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would inform LEO??

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogtx View Post
    Well, if you are so law abiding, then you having to inform or not, is a moot point.
    Well of course it creates conflict in my mind...but I just am tired of the bias of individuals toward other who exercise their right to own firearms....civilians and police alike.
    guns rule

2. Remove Ads

The best way to find out if a cop is anti or not is to inform him that you're carrying a gun. Problem is life kinda sucks when you find out the hard way .

If I'm not legally required I do not inform I couldn't care less about officer "preferance"

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    Show the LEO you're calm, courteous, professional, and legal and he'll act that way, too.
    Well said. This has always been my experience.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Not a LEO but if I was I would like to be informed. It shows you are respectful and have nothing to hide. But to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I would not inform unless it is required by state law....or if there is the chance it will be discovered due to getting out of the car.

if it is not pertinent to the stop why even bring it up? It would just create undue tension. Should I also mention the cell phone in the console and the Burger King trash under the seat? It's all legal so what's the difference?
    This seems silly to me. I have been stopped by officers, do work for several PDs and have friends that are officers. They ALL to a person have said that letting them know that you are carrying along with turning on the interior light and putting BOTH hands on the top of the wheel will go a long way towards them treating you with respect. You got your CCW lawfully and I would expect every LEO out there to want the same respect from you that they give you. And in most states it is required by the concealed carry laws to announce that you have a loaded firearm in the car within reach. Just use common sense for Pete's sake! Sheesh!
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

Originally posted by ontarget1911 And in most states it is required by the concealed carry laws to announce that you have a loaded firearm in the car
    No it isn't of the 47 states that allow concealed carry 8 require you to inform the police that you are carrying. 1 (Texas) requires it but has no criminal penalty in place for no compliance and no state requires non permit holders to notify.

How does NOT informing show any disrespect to the LEO?

GM
    In Florida we do not have to, but I always handle the DL along with the CCW permit, and then I inform that I am carrying a firearm.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

and this accomplishes what?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
    ^ Sorry, but you're being ridiculous comparing a firearm to a cell phone. You took a class to be able to carry a firearm, and pay for a service to use a cell phone.. Get real.

I am on the side of the fence that informs the LEO out of respect for their position. They already know i'm a CFP holder, i'd prefer to inform that I am carrying and remove the doubt from the LEO who will otherwise be constantly thinking about it.

If informing an officer that you are carrying creates tension with an LEO, they more than likely anti-CC and think they're the only one who should carry a gun.. I'd report that guy, he's a dick. Or, the LEO might have good reason to be on high alert depending on your attitude.

.. And clean up the trash out of car, it's a pigpen... ;)
    I am of the opinion, When In Rome
    As to the remark above in bold,
    How would an officer know just by running the plates if the operator of the vehicle is a cpl holder?
    All it will tell them is that the person whose vehicle they pulled over is a cpl holder. Not perhaps the registered persons spouse, brother, friend, etc, who just so happens to be operating the vehicle,who may not be, a permit holder

Because that's all the ammunition we had.'
    Polk Co. Fla. Sheriff Grady Judd
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I often get the impression that permit holders who inform somehow feel that they're giving the cop the "secret handshake" by informing. I hear all the time on other boards that the CHP is some kind of certified good guy card.

As a LEO I would lock your butt up for being belligerent. Sheesh!!
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy01 View Post
    For the safety of the officer and yourself, you need to inform any officer in any state that you are armed and permitted. If pulled over, it is best to keep both hands on the steering wheel. If you don't plan to inform the officer, you could find yourself looking onto the barrel of the officers pistol while laying on the ground.
    1.For the safety of the officer? How exactly does informing improve the safety of the officer unless you plan on shooting him?

2. His safety is his problem, not mine.

3. If I inform, the officer -may- (though likely not) decide to remove my weapon. How do I know that this officer practices weapons safety? How do I know this officer has ever seen/handled a weapon like mine? And safely knows how to handle it? --Maybe this officer is used to Beretta 92F, but has never handled a Taurus 92 clone, but thinks the safety works the same--big trouble--- I think not informing certainly enhances my safety.

So in my opinion informing does not enhance the officers safety, and it does not enhance my safety, so why inform?

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I live in a state were you have to inform. I don't mind it nor do I have a problem with it.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I live in Washington and I don't inform unless the is some reason for the LEO to pull me out of my vehicle. And I have NEVER given the LEOs any reason to pull me out. I have only been stopped 4 times in 45 years of driving and only once since I started carrying. If it looks like you're going to get pulled out then I would inform the LEO at that time. YMMV
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links