Would inform LEO?? - Page 5

Would inform LEO??

This is a discussion on Would inform LEO?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here in GA we are not required to inform but I always do - not that I've been stopped many times. I just think it's ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Here in GA we are not required to inform but I always do - not that I've been stopped many times. I just think it's a good idea. That way there are no surprises.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    I only NEED to inform them if it's required by law...otherwise I see no reason to do so.

How exactly is it impolite or discourteous to choose not to inform them if you are not required by law to do so?
    I absolutely agree! If I do decide to disclose that I'm armed with a valid permit, it will be a personal choice based on circumstance. Unless of course, the law in Arizona changes. I become a bit puzzled when I see comments that we should essentially bow to the officer as though they are royalty by default. Perhaps it’s because I use to be a LEO and I know full well the occupation isn't really not much different from other blue-collar jobs.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Yes because it's the law in my state.

Cops in Beachwood, OH falsely arrested a man for failing to "promptly" notify for ***51*** seconds during a felony stop in which he was ORDERED to keep silent. He was tried and acquitted of the ludicrous charge. I expect he will sue the officers and department.

I advise people in Ohio to shout over the cop to notify if necessary, regardless of his instructions. LEOs themselves have created that situation.

Ohio needs to eliminate the notification requirement and I would NEVER notify if not required to. Notification requirements are an invitation to abuse.

i think you guys got off my point...In Oregon I always let the LEO know (not require by law) My concern is carrying in Washington on a Utah permit and having to educate the officer that I am legal....if a LEO doesn't believe that a Utah permit covers me carrying in Washington some how I doubt a piece of paper I printed off the interweb will change his mind, and pointing out he is wrong might just piss him off....

last year i got pulled over in Washington on my motorcycle and was ask for insurance, I informed the officer Washington did require motorcyclist to carry insurance, he replied that my license was from Oregon where it is required. Since when do Washington LEO's enforce Oregon Law. What do you think would have happened if this had been over my right to carry in Washington with a Utah permit...??? See where I am going with this

Dan

The easiest way to avoid the problem is not inform. Done deal.

Nobody has ever told me, what I have to gain by informing. I know what I have to lose. What do I have to gain?

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Ohio needs to eliminate the notification requirement and I would NEVER notify if not required to. Notification requirements are an invitation to abuse.
    I think all of the Must Notify states should eliminate it. Why should we have to inform someone if it's not illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I think all of the Must Notify states should eliminate it. Why should we have to inform someone if it's not illegal?
    Whether not notifying is legal or illegal is solely at the discretion of the individual states. There is no God-given right NOT to notify.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Perhaps it’s because I use to be a LEO and I know full well the occupation isn't really not much different from other blue-collar jobs.
    It isnt the 70's or 80's anymore. Most departments require college degrees in addition to hundreds of hours of training each year. A 10 year officer often has more education than a lawyer and in some cases, a doctor. The pay scale also reflects that now too.
    But, that does vary by location. There are a lot of backwards areas out there and above is not true for them.

Back to the topic at hand, I see both sides and can find some agreement in both. If I'm wearing my Joe citizen hat, I'd probably be of the mindset of not informing. However, I've been on the other side of the B pillar many many times too. You would really be surprised what an alert and well trained officer can see in your car or on you. Stuff you would never think anyone would notice or be able to see. So, I contest that letting the officer know will avoid a bad misunderstanding.
    "Just blame Sixto"

drw
    In MN you don't have to inform. But I'm a lefty and carry on my hip at 8 oclock, so I would inform the officer before reaching for my proof of insurance in my glove box, and ask him what he would like me to do.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links