Would inform LEO??

Would inform LEO??

This is a discussion on Would inform LEO?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a Oregon resident and CC in Washington State using my Utah permit...Washington does not require you to inform an a LEO during a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would inform LEO??

Would inform LEO??

I am a Oregon resident and CC in Washington State using my Utah permit...Washington does not require you to inform an a LEO during a traffic stop that ur carrying...In my home state of Oregon they know as soon as they run my license..,so I hand over my permit with my license...But I am thinking if pulled over in Washington I should just keep my mouth shut...The reason being I am betting that most LEO's won't know that a Utah permit is good in WA and could cause me a big hassle....Opinion welcome...

thanks

Dan

i dont inform unless required by law
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Carry (credible) paperwork showing that Washington recognizes Utah permits. Keep it in the glove box or such. A printout of this (Concealed Weapon Reciprocity) page might be ideal. Might also print out the underlying law: RCW 9.41.073: Concealed pistol license ? Reciprocity.

If the officer asks you whether you've got any weapons on you, he'll freak out if you don't give an immediate "no." The time to notify and explain is before you get to that point. Good luck!

VIP Member
    Tough call in your case. Here in Arizona we're not required to inform although I now have second thoughts on the issue. I have read of several cases here on the forum, whereby the citizen seemingly benefited by volunteering the permit during a stop. I plan on handling future decisions based on the reason for the stop and attitude of the LEO.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Tough call in your case. Here in Arizona we're not required to inform although I now have second thoughts on the issue. I have read of several cases here on the forum, whereby the citizen seemingly benefited by volunteering the permit during a stop. I plan on handling future decisions based on the reason for the stop and attitude of the LEO.
    If the no-CCW-required law under debate passes as proposed, we will have to inform LEOs if we are carrying, if stopped. That's simple and clear-cut, and removes any doubt.

Over the past two years, I've done some training with Pinal County deputies, and I asked about their views on the subject. What was notable was a lack of consensus. Some said "show me your CCW and I'll know you're one of the good guys," while some said "if you don't show me your gun, you won't see mine." I still don't have a clear vision of how I will react if stopped (hasn't happened in 7 years out here), but I'm leaning toward handing over the CCW along with the driver's license.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Administrator
    When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
    "Just blame Sixto"

in WA giving the permit along with the licence is a wast as there is no form of ID on the thing other then your name and address. the thing is much larger then a licence also.

I do not inform.
    I would inform if there was a possibility of it being spotted from outside the car. sences open carry is permitted in WA it really should not be an issue. if you have fallowed the news though, you'll know that is not the real case.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wistrick View Post
    I am a Oregon resident and CC in Washington State using my Utah permit...Washington does not require you to inform an a LEO during a traffic stop that ur carrying...In my home state of Oregon they know as soon as they run my license..,so I hand over my permit with my license...But I am thinking if pulled over in Washington I should just keep my mouth shut...The reason being I am betting that most LEO's won't know that a Utah permit is good in WA and could cause me a big hassle....Opinion welcome...

thanks

Dan
    Carry the documentation to show this...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Would I inform the Officer of my permit and firearm? Depends upon the state I happen to be in at the time of the stop.

Ohio for example is just across the river from me and quite frequently we travel to the Wal-Mart there, it's just closer to where we live. In Ohio, you must inform the Officer. We also frequent Kentucky which is part of our Tri-State area. You do not need to inform there. In West Virginia, where I live, we do not have to inform.

I was stopped for speeding in Dec. '08 while traveling back home. It happend in Floyd Co Indiana, just before we got across the Ohio into Kentucky. I only had my permit for one month, and I did not inform the State Trooper. He didn't ask, issued me a ticket and we went on our merry ways.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

For the safety of the officer and yourself, you need to inform any officer in any state that you are armed and permitted. If pulled over, it is best to keep both hands on the steering wheel. If you don't plan to inform the officer, you could find yourself looking onto the barrel of the officers pistol while laying on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Wistrick View Post

thanks

Dan
    I always do. But then I worked LE as a police officer for years and know that I appreciated it when told so I just do out of courtesy even though I dont have to.

In Arizona you're not required to inform a LEO,
    However, when I got my permit in the mail there was a letter with it from DPS that suggested that you do inform if stopped. So it is the law vs a letter from DPS.

IMO, it's polite and courteous to inform, even if not required to. I think it would look much worse if, for any reason, you had to get out of your vehicle and then your CCW was found. Also, from what I've read on this forum over the years, more times than not, the LEO will reciprocate in politeness, and very often not write you up.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I think it's best to show and tell. Better safe than sorry.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

dont tell unless required by law
    guns rule

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links