Single action self defense shooting classes!!

This is a discussion on Single action self defense shooting classes!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Actually I carry a colt saa on a regular basis. I have a vast array of handguns and I do not feel the least bit ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single action self defense shooting classes!!

Actually I carry a colt saa on a regular basis. I have a vast array of handguns and I do not feel the least bit underarmed with it. As for the plow handle grips, they actually help with recoil by allowing the gun to roll in the hand. Remember the single action was designed from the ground up as a fighting gun.

2. Remove Ads

As for the plow handle grips, they actually help with recoil by allowing the gun to roll in the hand. Remember the single action was designed from the ground up as a fighting
    +1
    Its design also allows the best quick point shooting I have ever seen. Its like point your finger, its a part of you.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Actually I carry a colt saa on a regular basis. I have a vast array of handguns and I do not feel the least bit underarmed with it. As for the plow handle grips, they actually help with recoil by allowing the gun to roll in the hand. Remember the single action was designed from the ground up as a fighting gun.

I've owned a Colt SA (a Frontier model), but I have always been more interested in the Lightning and the Thunderer due to their (for me) more ergonomic grips and their (albeit delicate) double action mechanism.

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Will B. Droopy View Post
    I've owned a Colt SA (a Frontier model), but I have always been more interested in the Lightning and the Thunderer due to their (for me) more ergonomic grips and their (albeit delicate) double action mechanism.

-Bill
    Is that yours. I love it. I too have always felt the birds head grip to fit a little better.

OD*
    It's one of the pistols on Tombstone Gun Grip
    Tombstone Gun Grips: Colt 1877 Lightning Orig. (103b)
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

Is that yours. I love it. I too have always felt the birds head grip to fit a little better.
    I wish it were, glockman10mm!

-Bill

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Will B. Droopy View Post
    I guess to each his own, but I think this is going a little too far for a self defense firearm's class (On Shooting Gallery – Single Action Self Defense | Down Range TV).

I wonder how many people actually carry full size (non-.22LR) single action revolvers for CCW?

The negatives I can see are:

1. ND issues (no hammer drop on some, and SA light trigger pulls on all)

2. Slow speed (must be cocked for each round)

3. Reloads (forget about it!)

4. Recoil management (IMHO quite poor due to plowshare grip [the grip used on most SA's])

5. Weight/size (Weight: A lot; Size: Big)

-Bill
    1) I disagree. Once the manual of arms is understood, the SA sixgun is as safe as any system can be.

2) For the first shot, from the holster, an SA sixgun is as fast as any other handgun. After that, it is a matter of skill, and the SA sixgun is not as slow as some think.

3) Completely reloading, or topping off, a traditional SA sixgun is quite slow, compared to most modern handguns. A skilled sixgunner, however, can be faster than most would think.

4) Recoil management is not really a problem if engaging multiple targets, placing one shot on each target. If engaging one target, from the holster, and "zippering" that one target, recoil control is also less of an issue.

5) I like a certain amount of heft in a handgun, and an SA sixgun balances very comfortably when worn on the hip in a holster that rides outside the pants and belt.

This does not mean I regularly carry an SA sixgun. I wear a badge, and my chief expects me to tote weapons with which I have "qual'ed," whether on or off the clock, and I am not allowed to qual with an SA sixgun. I normally tote a SIG P229, on or off the clock. Sometimes, when out of town, I do carry an SA sixgun, and also carry a smaller back-up handgun (Ruger SP101) with which I have qual'ed. Te SP101 rides on my right hip, where I normally tote my "go-to" gun, and the SA sixgun rides in a shoulder rig or lefty hip holster.

FWIW, due to some quirk in my brain, I do some things better as a lefty, and some things better as a right-hander. I handle double-action handguns such as my duty/CC DAK SIGs, and DA revolvers, better with my right hand, and most SA handguns, particularly SA sixguns, better as a lefty.

When I retire from "peace officering" in the next two to nine years, my SA sixguns may get quite a bit more carry time, especially if I spend much time in the rural/wild outdoors.

Edited to add: To be clear, the SA sixgun does have a disadvantage as a defensive weapon. To borrow what Clint Smith has said on this subject, a single-action revolver requires "more manipulation." I believe that says it all. Skill can minimize this disadvantage, but not eliminate it.

Just got back from the range and shooting guess what...a Single Six!
    What a wonderful revolver. I can shoot single hand and crank off all six pretty darn fast and quite accurate. It has given me an update and appreciation for the single action. Also shot the Bearcat and Vaquero both of which I feel pretty good with. As for personal protection, if I carry one of these, I have at least one New York reload and that's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    I have a Ruger single six with the optional Mag .22 cylinder. Though I have other guns for carry, I wouldn't hesitate to carry that if I needed to. .22 Mag is a nasty round and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it. Single action means you're aiming and likely hitting your target. No problems here!

Jim

Single action hand gun

If you want to see what a Single Action revolver will do go to a SASS "Single Action Shooting Society" event near you. Many folks make the revolver sing. I routinely attend 3 event per month and shoot 60 rounds per event. I am better with my cowboy gun than a dual action revolver or pistol and frequently carry a 45 colt loaded with gold dots.

My department won't approve a single action revolver for carry. I could carry one on my own time with my CHP instead of my badge, but outside of hunting and the like, I prefer to carry guns on the badge, less restrictions on where I can carry and departmental backing if I am involved in a shooting.

I would never suggest that a SA revolver is the best choice for a defensive handgun, but it is certainly serviceable in the right hands. The only real disadvantages are the slow reloads and the necessity of cocking for each shot. Even having to cock for each shot is questionable as a disadvantage.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    If it is the only weapon you have, then by all means use it. But, it makes a much better car or house weapon.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links