Would you impersonate a police officer if.. - Page 2

Would you impersonate a police officer if..

This is a discussion on Would you impersonate a police officer if.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by razor02097 If police are ordering me down I sure as hell wouldn't shout "police" or "I'm an officer" or some such. I ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you impersonate a police officer if..

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    If police are ordering me down I sure as hell wouldn't shout "police" or "I'm an officer" or some such. I would shout "Friendly! Friendly!" and comply with every command they give. Offering no resistance.
    This sounds like good advice.

Ditto to most of the posts. I'd never impersonate on officer. I would however immediately let them know where the BG is located and what the current situation is prior to their arrival, most likely while I'm in cuffs until they know I'm a friendly.

This is when a CHL badge or CHL sash comes in handy.

Seriously, when the real cops show up you put your gun down, and move away from it a bit, raise hands or put them behind your head. I probably won't go so far as to prone out like Janq suggested unless told to do so by the LEO's.

As far as knowing who is the bad guy. If you have been in a shootout with a BG, someone should be laying on the floor with holes in them. If it is you with the holes, impersonating a LEO isn't going to do you a bit of good. If it is the BG with holes it will be easy to tell the LEO's that the guy over there bleeding was the criminal and get confirmation from others around you. Then let the LEO's sort it out.

There is never a good time to impersonate a LEO.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Gaz
    You should never impersonate a police officer, slap yourself for even considering it.

Declaring youre police when youre infact not will only complicate things for you. Their priority when they arrive on scene is to get things under control, and probably will not take your word that you are law enforcement.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I think if I was getting shot at from one way and being targetted by officers from another direction I would probabaly do anything from getting shot by either the bad guy or the police. In the moment not getting shot is priority number one. However, I hope a wouldn't be involved in the first place.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I think if I was getting shot at from one way and being targetted by officers from another direction I would probabaly do anything from getting shot by either the bad guy or the police. In the moment not getting shot is priority number one. However, I hope a wouldn't be involved in the first place.
    Agreed...if a cop is firing at me and trying and take me down because of his ignorance to the current situation..he's getting put down with the BG.
    guns rule

I don't understand how that would help. The shooter can shout "police" just as well as you (or even a legit cop) can. I don't think that's the whole story. Either that or maybe those cops need better training. I'm not trying to dis them; just seems kinda strange to me. If I were a LEO in a life or death situation, I wouldn't automatically trust someone who claimed to be a Police Officer. I would ask to see some sort of ID.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Once the Police show up I lay my gun down, its their job now
    I'm with you 101 and to add to that I would ask if they needed any help. However, they are the ones with vests so they can go first if thats the case.

Administrator
    I believe that performing any Police specific actions while impersonating or identifying yourself a Police Officer is a felony.
    And (for sure) displaying a badge when you do the above is a felony.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandiesman00 View Post
    Absolutely not. Let them do their jobs from that point on.

I think this thread has been twisted a little. I believe the op is asking while in direct contact with a mass shooter. Therefor, would you announce yourself as a cop to avoid taking fire from another direction by"friendly's". Friendly fire is not friendly. A wise man once said if you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck. I'm sorry if I am taking incoming fire and can get other armed individuals to my location helping me out then I'm going to due that anymeans possible.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
    I'm with you 101 and to add to that I would ask if they needed any help. However, they are the ones with vests so they can go first if thats the case.
    Just remember the police are not responsible for your immediate protection. So if your getting shot and see a policeman your mentality is not my problem anymore? If I'm getting shot at I'm not giving up my only tool to survival. If I'm getting shot at and see cops coming at me "I would impersonate the Pope to get them on my side.

I'm not a LEO, my family and I are going to be running for the exit.
    In the example the OP gave. The OFF DUTY LEO felt compelled to act.

Just because I have a gun, doesn't mean I should automatically get in to a shootout.

Lets not forget, " A good run is better than a bad stand any day".
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Moderator
    OK guys think about it from a Cops point of view.

You are arrive at a scene with a reported active shooter, more and likely the only description you have is that a man has a gun. Knowing how good eyewitnesses can be you can only be sure about the gun part.

If you go in the mall and hear gun fire and see a civillian firing or with a gun looking at something you cannot see you will order them to put their gun down. If they do not put the gun down they are hostile, you do not care if they claim to be a Cop anyone can claim to be a Cop. You don't hear what they are trying to tell you because you attention is focused on the gun.

So if you are the man with the gun and you do not want to get shot then put the gun down and point to where the bad guy is
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Isn't there a rule on this forum about not breaking the law or encouraging others to do so?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links