Would you impersonate a police officer if.. - Page 4

Would you impersonate a police officer if..

This is a discussion on Would you impersonate a police officer if.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo but the resonding LEO is then going to give you commands to get you away from it. Gonzo If hes is ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    but the resonding LEO is then going to give you commands to get you away from it.
    Gonzo
    If hes is able to give verbal commands to me with his/her pistol in hand then that is my que to cite that I'm a CWP holder. If I do put my pistol down, I my self need to make a mental note to take the mag out so I can maintain responsabilaty of my side arm. Thank you for that angle on the subject.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Feel free to cite a single jurisdiction anywhere on the planet where claiming to be a police officer when you are not a police officer isn't illegal.
    So let me understand something. Your driving down the highway, you are fear of your life for some reason. Guy behind you is waving gun at you chasing you. You tell me your not going to break the speed limit to get away. Some states driving certain speeds can be treated as a felony. Remember even one mile over The speed limit is breaking the law!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    I agree with OKShooter in that identifying yourself as a Police Officer is a felony in most States. Still, I have learned, to never say never. I use to be a LEO and those of you that are former LEO’s may know that old habits are hard. In a stressful moment we revert to our lowest level of training and I’m afraid that I could instinctively yell out the ‘P’ word before my brain could fully engage. Clearly, this would not be something I would do intentionally but still.

In the abstract I suppose if it actually happened and I was forced to defend my actions, I would hope that my former credentials and tenure may help to justify any autonomic response.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

GM
    I do not think so
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Originally posted by rob99VMI04 Please show me a case were a victim of a crime on progress who was later let off for using lethal force was even charged for saying he was cop based on the scenario above.
    You're the one that made the statement it's up to you to prove it.

Originally posted by Rob99VMI04 So let me understand something. Your driving down the highway, you are fear of your life for some reason. Guy behind you is waving gun at you chasing you. You tell me your not going to break the speed limit to get away.
    Strawman, speeding and pretending to be cop are two entirely different crimes.

Again, there is a rule on this forum prohibiting encouraging illegal activity

He is not in Kansas anymore.

Dixie Dude, This was not in Kansas at all. This was the Trolley Square shooting in Salt Lake City, Utah.
    The Dragon has time and experience. Maturity has given him knowledge, strength, skill, wisdom and inner peace.
    Glock 26 Certified Glock Armorer
    Mossberg 590 12 ga.

Again, there is a rule on this forum ibitin.g encouraging illegal activity

LOL, I'm sorry I don't see how its any different. There both violations of the law. Encouraging somebody to use a firearm in itself is in most states treated as a crime. I think in heat of the moment exspecially when I'm a victim I'm going to do anything to survive.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

VIP Member
    No way I'd suggest that I was "police".

In this example, I need to instantly concentrate on not being a perceived threat by responding officers, and especially demonstrate open/empty hands. I don't want to be full of police bullets.

In a similar case I would also be worried about being able to properly hear a officers commands. After some sort of shooting it's likely my hearing would be somewhat impaired.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I

Again, there is a rule on this forum pr
    ibiting encouraging illegal activity
    I don't have to prove anything. First, I don't think there is a single case meets the criteria in op. Second being arrested dosn't mean guilty. If that was the case every senario on this forum which involved the victim being involved in a shooting would fit under your criteria of somebody encouraging somebody else to violate the law since most people involved in sd are arrested and charged. Hbut again we have courts which decide wether or not to convict.

VIP Member
    I would think in most self defense scenarios, the shooting will be long done when five-o gets there on the scene, but in that offchance situation, when they arrive swiftly, its definitely going to be a tense situation.
    Hopefully there will be enough witnesses to verify what is going on, prior to the responders arriving, and jumping into the melee,-- as in someone telling the cops," hey that guy in the blue shirt and grey ballcap(as they point to you)Is the good guy and the bad guy is around the corner".
    If not ,well the day isn't going to be a walk in the park, but then just try to convey to responders that in fact you are the good guy,, and just hope it unfolds like a properly working parachute.
    every situation has its own specifics,
    Trust in God and good luck

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    you were actively in a shootout with a mass murderer... And on duty Officers just arrived on the scene not aware of who the bad guy is...

from Officer Ken Hammond who help stop a mass murder when he was off duty in a Kansas mall...............-----He is talking about another officer arriving on the scene.

I think i would just have to shout POLICE In this situation, even though I am not one. I would deal with the consequences later.

What do you all think???? here is the story Cop who*saved shoppers from shooter: I am not a hero - CNN.com

Correction....

Trolley Square Mall is in Utah, Off. Ken Hammond was an LEO on the Ogden City (Utah) PD.. He's since been removed from the force for very inappropriate behavior, but in my mind still a hero in the Trolley Square shooting..

I live just minutes from Trolley. Glad he was there CC'ing.

Edit... just saw Kenpo's post...
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

I am with a County Sheriff's Office in Texas. Like others said, impersonating a peace officer is a felony. Bad Idea.

If I was in plain clothes at a Mall, or anywhere and there is a BG w/a gun running around.
    Until I could safely get my credentials out to show responding officers, I would just yell at them, " I am a Deputy!! I need one more Core course to get my Intermediate Peace Officer License from TCLEOSE!!!", that way they will know I am an officer.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    you were actively in a shootout with a mass murderer... And on duty Officers just arrived on the scene not aware of who the bad guy is...

from Officer Ken Hammond who help stop a mass murder when he was off duty in a Kansas mall...............-----He is talking about another officer arriving on the scene.

I think i would just have to shout POLICE In this situation, even though I am not one. I would deal with the consequences later.

What do you all think???? here is the story Cop who*saved shoppers from shooter: I am not a hero - CNN.com
    Don't do it.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    No way.

About as close as I would consider getting to this is to shout, immediately after the shooting and before the cops are even called... "POLICE! [someone call the] POLICE! [I really need someone to call the] POLICE!" (alternating loud and quieter voice). This is what my concealed carry instructor suggested, BTW.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

no!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links