Would you impersonate a police officer if.. - Page 5

Would you impersonate a police officer if..

This is a discussion on Would you impersonate a police officer if.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would do whatever I felt I needed to do to survive and let lawyers sort it out later. I don't think impersonating an officer ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Would you impersonate a police officer if..

VIP Member
    I would do whatever I felt I needed to do to survive and let lawyers sort it out later. I don't think impersonating an officer is a good idea but never say never. I like paymeisters idea. I like avoidance even better but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Question Would you impersonate a police officer if..
    you were actively in a shootout with a mass murderer... And on duty Officers just arrived on the scene not aware of who the bad guy is...

from Officer Ken Hammond who help stop a mass murder when he was off duty in a Kansas mall...............
    Quote:

First: I would not impersonate. If I'm down he is running away. If he is down I am disarming him,and if a few more seconds have passed my firearm is holstered or cleared on the floor. Reaching for my cell phone.

"IF" I were saying anything ... I wouldn't be able to post it on here. I'm too busy shooting to be yelling anything.

Well here's to hoping my ccw badge, my ccw sash, and my ccw tiara would ID me succesfully to the responding officers.

But seriously, I'm in the same situation as Saber, being an ex-LEO. My prayer is that any responding officers would be ones that I used to or still know. And there is the whole ingrained training thing as well, in the heat of the moment, who knows what I might shout out?

I'll cross that bridge when I (hopefully never) come to it.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    I think i would just have to shout POLICE In this situation, even though I am not one. I would deal with the consequences later.
    Terrible idea.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Pretend I'm Who?
    I gave up pretend games when I was 6 years old.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array maxwell's Avatar
    Not a chance !!!
    THE ONLY LOVE THAT MONEY CAN BUY IS A DOG

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I think this thread has been twisted a little. I believe the op is asking while in direct contact with a mass shooter. Therefor, would you announce yourself as a cop to avoid taking fire from another direction by"friendly's". Friendly fire is not friendly. A wise man once said if you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck. I'm sorry if I am taking incoming fire and can get other armed individuals to my location helping me out then I'm going to due that anymeans possible.
    BINGO>>>> I am talking about a split second decision to make a cop pause long enough not to shoot me. Think about the mall shooting and how afraid the actual off duty cop was that he was fixin to be shot by a good guy.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Well here's to hoping... my ccw tiara would ID me succesfully to the responding officers.
    Lessee - how would that look? Anyone want to chip in and get him one?
    Attached Images
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

This has been on my mind since i seen a couple of years ago on 20-20, or dateline, when they interviewed the off duty police officer, how much he stressed how he was very concerned about getting shot by the arriving officers, good discussion..BTW If shouting POLICE to the police keeps a .40 caliber bullet out of my chest,

I AM DOING IT
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

NO.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Lessee - how would that look? Anyone want to chip in and get him one?
    By God, I'll wear it, post a pic, and change it to my avatar if you can get one.

Oh, and I'm a blue diamond & white gold kind of guy.

(Heh, I'll take one pic then sell it to buy my SBS earlier than I'd planned...)
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

It's funny what your mind will do when subjected to external forces. I am a retired LEO who prior to that was a Military PO who served in Vietnam. One day while stopping at a bank to withdraw money out of the ATM there were some kids out in the woods behind the bank who let off a couple of "Ash Cans" (fireworks equal to 1/4 stick of dynamite). Well, there I was spread eagle on the ground reaching for my CC weapon. Looking around I spotted another individual on the ground doing the same thing. Once we figured out what was going on I asked him was he LEO and he stated yes. I then asked him if he had served in combat and he stated yes. We were not on the ground due to our police training, we had both reverted back to Vietnam, it happens that quickly.

In a word... NO

I don't see any good coming from it. In most places it's a felony.

There are many better ways to avoid being shot by responding officers. By far, the best way is to follow their commands exactly!

Also, it's always best to have your gun put away when they arrive instead of standing there with a smoking gun.

Personally, I think both of those mentioned above is a far superior way to avoid being shot than committing a felony to avoid getting shot.

But hey, just my humble opinion. YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

No, I wouldn't impersonate a cop to cops - not a good way to start things off legally.

I've thought of it with a BG, screaming "Police, Drop the knife" or whatever with my gun out to make them comply fast before I had to shoot. Maybe that, and I'd take the legal ramifications because that's what it took to save my life and and not have to shoot.

But, that would be about it far as impersonating a police officer.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links