Would you impersonate a police officer if.. - Page 7

Would you impersonate a police officer if..

This is a discussion on Would you impersonate a police officer if.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can not think of a single situation where I would commit the crime of impersonating a police officer........

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Would you impersonate a police officer if..

I can not think of a single situation where I would commit the crime of impersonating a police officer.....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Even edited... I can't say I would impersonate. Can't see what good it would do.

If police are ordering me down I sure as hell wouldn't shout "police" or "I'm an officer" or some such. I would shout "Friendly! Friendly!" and comply with every command they give. Offering no resistance.
    The Friendly Friendly is a good idea I think. I would not impersonate a police officer, however, if I am yelling "Police" I would later explain that I was calling for the police to come to everyone's aid. If the bad guy or the police misunderstood, well, thats not my fault!

As far as yelling stuff that would offend a pastor, the instructor in my class said to try and defuse a situation not esculate it. Granted the original scenario was an active shooter.
    The example the instructor gave was "You get into a situation with someone and they start threatening you. You want to try and calm them down, not start yelling obcentaties to the point that the witnesses later say you were so obnoxious they wished you would get shot!

I just keep thinking about the poor guy in Phoenix who was holding an armed burglar at gunpoint in his home while his wife and 2 children waited outside for the police...Even after explaining to the dispatcher her husband had the burglar at gun point in the home, and explaining to the officers at the scene that her husband was the one holding the gun, the officers went in and immediately opened fire on the homeowner with the gun. The audio recording is astonishing and it's amazing the guy survived.

The best part about it...THE COPS TRIED TO COVER IT UP....So is there a right way to identify to police that you're not the intruder? IMHO, NO...you're better off just handling the situation on your own.

Homeowner Shot by Police While Holding Intruder at Gunpoint Files Lawsuit Against Phoenix // Current
    guns rule

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSW40 View Post
    So is there a right way to identify to police that you're not the intruder? IMHO, NO...you're better off just handling the situation on your own.
    be careful who you say that to.

IMO detaining a robber at gun point is a bad idea. If he flees then he flees. If he insists on causing harm to you and/or your family then he should be stopped by any possible means. But if your pointing a gun at someone who has submit to you and you slip one little bit shooting the guy then you are guilty of murder....

Even if you don't shoot the BG by accident the would be robber can come back to sue you for emotional distress being held at gunpoint for so long caused him. The castle doctrine doesn't protect you if you if that happened.

Funny how the system works isn't it?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I'm by no means saying dont call the cops....I feel anytime you pull a gun you're immediately going to need to call the cops. I'm just saying in this instance with the guy in Phoenix, and armed assailant busted into his house with wife and kids...castle doctrine would have legally justified a fatal shooting then.
    guns rule

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-I-am
    Would you could you impersonate in a mall
    impersonate or not its your call...

Quote Originally Posted by law abiding citizen
    Not in a box.
    Not with a fox.
    Not in a house.
    Not with a mouse.
    I would not impersonate here or there.
    I would not impersonate anywhere.
    What ever happened to legal activities like eating green eggs and ham?
    Because I would never impersonate police Sam-I-am.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Gaz
    I'm amazed the discussion has continued this long. Depending on the situation, there are lots of other things you could shout to communicate to the officer you aren't the bad guy.

There is no good reason to impersonate a police officer. Slap yourself for considering it and then slap yourself again for defending the initial suggestion.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Lets change the dynamic a bit. Who would you impersonate?

Forget Superman. He's bulletproof.

How about: "Freeze. Security!"

Is impersonating a Security Officer even a crime?

Who else???
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I'll impersonate Rambo untill the cops get there, then I'll impersonate the french. If the cops shoot me at least I know my wife and daughter will be well taken care of. It's hard to prove self defense when the guys hands are in the air and the gun is on the ground.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Does the phrase, "Not Only No but Hell NO' ring a bell.

I would be screaming "Good Guy" as I laid down the weapon and assumed the kneeling position with hand behind my head.

The problem is the Cop just shooting first without doing a threat assesment like the jackass in Phoenix!
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I'd definitely shout out as stated here "Friendly" as I'm laying my weapon down.

Now, there are different scenarios here to play out of course.

BG down and out of action - Holster weapon and wait for good guys with CCP card/paperwork out and waiting and witnesses lined up and my lawyer on the way.

BG down, alive, but out of action - Weapon out, lay down shout out friendly, comply with orders, ready to show all paperwork and wait for phone call to my lawyer and point out witnesses.

and so on and so on.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

The Friendly Friendly is a good idea I think. I would not impersonate a police officer, however, if I am yelling "Police" I would later explain that I was calling for the police to come to everyone's aid. If the bad guy or the police misunderstood, well, thats not my fault!

Thats kinda how i think about it. not really impersonating.....just shouting POLICE..., at least the good guys will think long enough for me to explain more.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

I think cops arriving on the scene would be far more likely to believe it if you said "I'm the guy who shot the bad guy", rather than "I'm a cop too!!!" In any event, it ain't the best spot to be in!!!

Impersonating a police officer is a crime. If the situation allowed, I would have my weapon at low ready (not pointing at anything or any one), and then just do what the real police say to do (drop it, put it on the ground, freeze, whatever). Then explain myself later.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

I'd probably yell "OUCH" from hitting the ground so hard/fast and spreading. "Police", definitely not!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links