Would you impersonate a police officer if.. - Page 8

Would you impersonate a police officer if..

This is a discussion on Would you impersonate a police officer if.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would you impersonate a police officer if ... If it's the only thing that's going to safe my life, you damn well bet I am. ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Would you impersonate a police officer if ...
    If it's the only thing that's going to safe my life, you damn well bet I am. Wrangling over prissy sensibilities can be worked out later. But that's where it ends.

In any normal, conceivable circumstance I can imagine occurring, I would not act as an officer, no.

I'll manage the inbound arrival of cavalry according to the basic rules. I'm not going to be holding a perp while standing within 10ft of him, so there's little risk upon the inbound police arriving and finding me holding the suspect at low-ready. I surely hope to have someone assisting with receiving the police as they arrive, so that I can manage to be holstered when they do, but that might not be possible. I'd also hope to have been on the phone myself, to 911/police, but that also might not be possible (while the situation is still occurring). So be it, if that's how it works out. I'll follow the commands of inbound police, hope the criminal doesn't thereby gain the upper hand, and hope I don't get shot in the process. If he does, he does; if I do, fine. I believe that both are relatively unlikely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by dbsmith54 View Post
    No, police show up and I put the gun down and move away from it.

My thoughts EXACTLY. I would NEVER say I was a Police officer.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    Thats kinda how i think about it. not really impersonating.....just shouting POLICE..., at least the good guys will think long enough for me to explain more.
    So you wouldn't impersonate? Or you would?

I thought the question was about impersonating an officer of the law to save you from being shot by the first responding police.

Quote Originally Posted by thread title
    Would you impersonate a police officer if..
    just sayin...
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Dixie you go right ahead and pretend your a cop,see what happens! they will cart you away with the bad guy in cuffs,mark my words,nuff said,a rediculous statement!

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    Thats kinda how i think about it. not really impersonating.....just shouting POLICE..., at least the good guys will think long enough for me to explain more.
    "On the job, on the job" might have the benefits of keeping oneself from getting smoked, yet not be directly claiming to be a cop.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    "On the job, on the job" might have the benefits of keeping oneself from getting smoked, yet not be directly claiming to be a cop.
    In NY or NJ (of course, who besides a cop would be carrying in NJ...right? ) that has a specific meaning. I don't know if that term is used in other areas.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    how about you shout "help"? That is a pretty damn universal word... anyone here not know what help means?

This tip toe and dancing around business is stupid. Impersonating a little or full out is impersonating. It will take a lawyer and money to prove you weren't

I don't know of anywhere impersonating a cop is legal. You impersonate you go to jail. Pretty simple. I don't see any scenario where impersonating a cop is going to save you. Bad guys don't like cops and since cops are liable they are going to demand you put your gun down before they start shooting. Expect to be put down if you point the gun at the cop or do not comply with his commands.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

LEOs ( for many good reasons) are taught to shoot the guy with the gun, if he doesn't drop it fast enough. In combat practice, they just go ahead and shoot the targets with a gun and not in uniform. Practice makes perfect, so they probably will shoot the guy with a gun on reflex alone.

What you propose is against the law and even though I have an NRA sticker on my bumper and an HCP in my wallet, I am still a law abiding citizen.

No.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Wink

If you are involved in a firefight long enough for police to arrive... Chances are you are way over gunned (Multiple Gunners) or just verry bad shots.

But if you do'... (If you can) Get on your Cell & Describe yourself (POLICE / NO POLICE)... Let them know whats going on & you are in direct action with the BG...Chances are they are getting 1000 other calls by other people/looky loos...

When the Police arrives...drop your weapon (no matter how much your custom pistola cost! )... & comply with his/her every command...If they need your help...they will ask for it...Chances are there will be a **** load of Blue by that time.

sfo
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Once the Police show up I lay my gun down, its their job now
    +1 here

OK..the scenario is just like the off duty cop....except you might not be one, he had no time to dial 911, he took on threat immediatly and saved lives. Question.....did he think he was gonna get shot by friendlys.....YES he did, and if I was in his situation, or you would you shout POLICE like he did,, it ended well for him....lucky ??? or did him shouting stop responding officers from shooting him.....they did not ask for a badge number??

Right then, Ken saw a responding officer on the lower level, Sergeant Andrew Oblad, a 9-year veteran of Salt Lake City Police Department. “We kind of looked at each other for a second while he was trying to figure out the situation,” said Ken, who continuously yelled that he was an officer. “The officers were responding to an active shooter, and there I was in civilian clothes with a handgun. It was tense for a moment or two.”

In a flash of what Ken now calls intuition, it was clear that Oblad believed him.

Mall shooting: Off-duty and drawing fire
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

When the police arrive, they have no clue who is good or bad.
    From their perspective, they want to go home at the end of the day and kiss their wives and hug their children.
    The situation already has adrenaline pumping through their veins.
    You do not want to be the person who they first see on the scene with a firearm.
    You do NOT want to appear as the threat.
    NOTHING should be in your hands that could be construed or misinterpreted to be a weapon.
    Your firearm should be away from you or reholstered.
    IMO, you can shout anything you want but do NOT impersonate a police officer nor have a FAKE badge.
    I agree with the above recommendations of yelling "FRIEND", "HELP", or "HOMEOWNER".
    I also agree with the above recommendation of going prone.

This thread closed yet?
    "Proud To Have Been Banned by Huff PO"

No I wouldn't.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Links