Was I wrong?

This is a discussion on Was I wrong? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was having dinner this evening up in Louisville at a Japanese place. I don't ever eat at the bar when carrying but this time ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was I wrong?

Was I wrong?

I was having dinner this evening up in Louisville at a Japanese place. I don't ever eat at the bar when carrying but this time I was eating at the Sushi Bar. About half way through the meal I realized that the other end of the Sushi Bar had a bunch of shelves with hard liquor/beer/etc. Not exactly a bar, but I guess it was the drink station/bar. Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jensen47770 View Post
    I was having dinner this evening up in Louisville at a Japanese place. I don't ever eat at the bar when carrying but this time I was eating at the Sushi Bar. About half way through the meal I realized that the other end of the Sushi Bar had a bunch of shelves with hard liquor/beer/etc. Not exactly a bar, but I guess it was the drink station/bar. Thoughts?

Thanks,
    You may have been in violation of the law ( I don't know what the law is wherever you were), but I wouldn't say you were "wrong".

In Texas a business with a red number 51 posted at the door is a place where a CC person can not enter armed with a handgun.

It means 51% or more of the sales is from the sale of alcohol.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Your avatar indicates you are in California. Are you talking about Louisville KY? If so, then you cannot carry "in any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose."

Is the sushi bar primarily devoted to sushi or dispensing alcohol?

Since it is the bar area, I would err on the side of caution.

If you are talking about Louisville CA, then I'm almost certain that civilian concealed carry is not permitted in restaurants.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    You may have been in violation of the law ( I don't know what the law is wherever you were), but I wouldn't say you were "wrong".
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I'm in NY State, think it depends if the place is a restaurant or a tavern, but I ought to look that up.

Here in SC, it is based on the percentage of alcohol sold in the establishment. I like the way Texas notifies you "51". I have done the same thing wondering if I am I am in violation....but that has always been to pick up a to-go order.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    I'm in NY State, think it depends if the place is a restaurant or a tavern, but I ought to look that up.
    Bar, restaurant or tavern in not a problem in NY.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    Here in SC, it is based on the percentage of alcohol sold in the establishment. I like the way Texas notifies you "51". I have done the same thing wondering if I am I am in violation....but that has always been to pick up a to-go order.
    I believe you are incorrect. SC has nothing in the law based on percentage of alcohol sold in an establishment. If it serves alcohol, the law says NO carry. Feel free to post a correction if the reference I've provided below is incorrect.

SECTION 16-23-465. Additional penalty for unlawfully carrying pistol or firearm onto premises of business selling alcoholic liquors, beers or wines for on-premises consumption.
    In addition to the penalties provided for by Sections 16-11-330 and 16-23-460 and by Article 1 of Chapter 23 of Title 16, a person convicted of carrying a pistol or firearm into a business which sells alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I'm not sure what your laws are there but if it's legal, you're definetly not wrong. For my state, it's legal to carry into bars here in Colorado, you just can't drink. Hince the reason I'm normally the DD when we go out.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    Hubs.....Here in SC if the establishment sales ANY amount of alcohol for comsumption in the restaurant, it is illegal to carry.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Nope.
    You are not wrong.
    Go about your business. Enjoy your food, safety and freedom.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yeild, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Bosco beat me to it, but you are good in any private establishment, bar, restaurant that serves drinks, tarverns, brothels, places of worship, etc.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

You would have been OK if you were in Kansas. You can carry into any place except State Offices, Courts, etc. unless it is "posted" with an approved Atty Gen signage ... including churches, bars, etc.

Yikes! That's the end of that! I always thought it was percentage-based. Thanks for the correction!
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links