Driving to NC.

This is a discussion on Driving to NC. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys I will be driving from nj. to nc. in a couple weeks to visit friends. I currently have a Florida non resident permit ...

Thread: Driving to NC.

Driving to NC.

Hey guys I will be driving from nj. to nc. in a couple weeks to visit friends. I currently have a Florida non resident permit my thinking is if I lock up my G27 in a case and as soon as I cross into Virginia I should be able to carry my G27 the rest of the way down through Virginia and into NC. Does this sound correct??

2. Remove Ads

This will answer most of your questions. Looks like NC is OK with Fl non res. We have some odd laws so check out the NC page.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
    Last edited by chiefjason; March 27th, 2010 at 02:11 AM. Reason: missread question
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    We're a must inform state. No carry in alcohol establishments, schools, state & fed employees (interstate rest stops), financial institutions and so on. Do your homework. But as long as your permit is recognized, should be fine. Can't speak to Virginia. Safe driving and you'll enjoy North Carolina in the spring after the winter you've had.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I believe Virginia has reciprocity with Florida. Check out the Virginia State Police website Virginia State Police. Even if Virginia doesn't we are an open carry state so you could carry it in the open. If you are just passing through VA open carry is just fine. Property owners or managers still may ask you to leave if seen but this doesn't happen too often except maybe in Northern Virginia. Come on down and enjoy the Old Dominion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    We're a must inform state. No carry in alcohol establishments, schools, state & fed employees (interstate rest stops), financial institutions and so on. Do your homework. But as long as your permit is recognized, should be fine. Can't speak to Virginia. Safe driving and you'll enjoy North Carolina in the spring after the winter you've had.
    You can carry in rest areas.

This section shall not apply to:
    ....snip

5) State‑owned rest areas, rest stops along the highways, and State‑owned hunting and fishing reservations.

Full statute here.

GS_14-269.4
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

In NC, unless you have a CWP, a loaded handgun carried in your car must be in plain sight, usually either on the dashboard or on the seat beside you.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Yep....you should be fine. Like others have posted.....just be sure to look over NC carry laws.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I believe Virginia has reciprocity with Florida. Check out the Virginia State Police website Virginia State Police. Even if Virginia doesn't we are an open carry state so you could carry it in the open. If you are just passing through VA open carry is just fine. Property owners or managers still may ask you to leave if seen but this doesn't happen too often except maybe in Northern Virginia. Come on down and enjoy the Old Dominion as well.
    Virginia does accept Fla permit. Delaware also accepts Fla permit, but Maryland in between Del and VA doesn't.

Drive safely and enjoy your trip.
    I carry a bible and a gun. Your Point?

Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")

You should be good to go once you cross the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.

And remember, there are plenty of folks here with blue lights on there cars that would be happy to help you spend your money in Virginia.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Read t he law.
    Obey it.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yeild, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Links