When you do rotate rounds? - Page 2

When you do rotate rounds?

This is a discussion on When you do rotate rounds? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I change my carry ammo about every year but I do rotate the ammo evry month. Remember, there is still WW2 surplus ammo out their ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I change my carry ammo about every year but I do rotate the ammo evry month. Remember, there is still WW2 surplus ammo out their that still shoots well but I would not trust my life on it. Steve48

I've got a "carry pool" of 30 rounds or so. Once I've chambered each one a couple of times, I'll go out and shoot them.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I change my duty carry rounds every three months when we qualify, not by direction but by choice. I change my chambered round every month, even thought it dosent get down loaded to much just because of a number of incidents with chambered rounds being messed up and the posibility of a bad ignition.

On my personal weapons, I change the ammo every year on the date I conduct a qualifier with them. Since these weapons dont get chambered much I only switch around the ammo in the mags on the monthly cleanings.

Its a little more expensive to qualify with what you carry but its worth the price for me.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I carry Speer GOLD DOT personal protection 230 gr GDHP. I train with S&B 230 FMJ. I shoot up the Speer when we change the clocks and buy a new box of 20.

I did not know that I was supposed to change the first round after it has been chambered.

Thanks for the information.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Between BG's...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In my carry mags I cycle them out about every six mouths. Probobly don't need to, but it's a good practice. As far a chambered round goes, I wouldn't worry about the oil getting in the primer. Most high quality defense ammo have water-proof primers so you should be ok.

Senior Moderator
    I carry a revolver some my rounds are rotated regularly..............

anyone get that?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    I try to rotate about every 6 months but if I miss a few months I don't worry about it.

I like to fire my carry ammo just to remain familliar with it and it's fun to play with wet phone books and such so you can oooh and aaah!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post

anyone get that?

I was going to say that. :)

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post

anyone get that?
    Clever, but not particularly punny.

Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by bmwaddicted View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the oil getting in the primer. Most high quality defense ammo have water-proof primers so you should be ok.
    Actually, many oils can get through spaces that water cannot. Even if there is a sealant, many sealants can be attacked and degraded by oil.

That said, I run an oiled patch through when I'm done cleaning, then a dry one. You only need a tiny bit coating the inside of the barrel and chamber to protect it. Not a drop of excess.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I chamber a round no more than twice. So if I eject a once-chambered round, it goes in the "next" box. I slowly work my way through the JHP carry ammo 2 or 3 rounds every time I shoot.

Reviewing a couple of the previous posts in this thread, I realize that my cartridge cases only rotate a little when ejected, since I carry Glocks. My JHP carry bullets rotate once each, when fired.
    Last edited by Anubis; April 8th, 2007 at 11:27 AM. Reason: add to thread's joke

Mine doesn't stay in my carry piece long enough to matter .Pretty much shoot whats loaded weekly or at least every other week .

I usually shoot my carry ammo every 6 months. In between that time, I just empty the carry ammo out of my mags and load it with target ammo.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I ejected a round from my 1911 once to find that the bullet had been pushed back into the casing about a quarter of an inch.

I asked the guys at the local gun shop how I could dispose of it and they told me that it would be fine to shoot it. I told them that I didn't think I wanted to do that and they told me that I could just throw it in the trash.

I didn't think that was a good idea either so I put a small screw in the end of the bullet and pulled it out. Turns out it wasn't in there very well and it came out easily.

I've also had many hunting round that have gotten submerged in water and functioned the same. But many oils are designed to penetrate and dissolve barriers and do so better than water.
    Being peaceful does not guarantee peace, strength and a willingness to commit violence when needed does.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links