Open carry for attention? - Page 3

Open carry for attention?

This is a discussion on Open carry for attention? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, here is my opinion - I carried concealed for years...the last three years or so I have carried open 100% of the time. Primary ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Well, here is my opinion - I carried concealed for years...the last three years or so I have carried open 100% of the time. Primary states: VA and PA.

Number of issues: zilch, zero, nada, nyet, none

Do I carry for attention - sure as hell I do!

The primary group I wish to communicate with are the criminals in our fine society that you and I see every day. They look just like you and I, they eat like us, sound like us, and for all intents and purposes...do not have any distinguishing characteristics. I have spotted them on several occasions and after eye contact is made, and they notice that I am prepared to defend myself, they usually leave the area quick-time. Maybe they think I am a LEO.

The other group I like to attract the attention of are law-abiding citizens like you and I that have a legitimate question regarding lawful carry. I have had a few dozen folks start up a conversation in check-out lines, etc. and ask about lawful carry. They had an interest and we talked for a few moments. Never had anyone ask me anything like that while carrying concealed...because they didn't know I was carrying!

Spread the good word.

And my favorite group that I enjoy attracting the attention of...the sheeple. The ones that are bouncing around with their children, heads in the clouds, believing it "always happens to the other guys", etc. Now they notice a "man with a gun" is just a few feet away from them. The huddle their children around and use them as shields. Fumbling for their cellular phones... Wait - this phone is of no use, if that man is a bad man, he could do us harm, right here, right now, Jesus...what are we to do!?!

Maybe, just maybe, some of those folks look at life a bit different after that. Maybe they take a more aggressive approach to protecting their family. Maybe this is a life changing event for some of them. Who knows?

All I know is that lawfully armed men are polite, honorable, and prepared to defend life right here, right now. There is no problem with open carry nor should there be. It is gentlemanly.

And finally, the final group I enjoy the attention of...the female of the species. My wife has told me of a few of her friends that consider it attractive to see a man with a gun, prepared to protect his family. A very attractive clerk at a local hardware store even made me blush one afternoon when she was quite vocal about "how sexy" I looked with that gun hanging on my hip.

Yep, I like the attention - I spread the good news.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm
    Confused. MI is an open carry state. How is open carrying in most areas in MI illegal? Please explain.
    City laws and on motorized vehicles. I also consider the element of suprise and low profile to work in my favor by cc'ing.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Open carry just asking for trouble.I keep it concealed and safe that's
    my edge and my option.No need to let anyone know what I have even the right to open carry is there.I'll pass.

cszy67,

Where in PA do you open carry? I'm guessing it's more rural given that you've had no trouble, but would like clarification. Thanks.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

besides leo officers ive only seen one guy in the town i live in open carry and it looked like he was carrying a cannon on his side ,must have had a eight inch barrel he got lots of attention everywere he went

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cszy67
    Well, here is my opinion - I carried concealed for years...the last three years or so I have carried open 100% of the time. Primary states: VA and PA.

Number of issues: zilch, zero, nada, nyet, none

Do I carry for attention - sure as hell I do!

The primary group I wish to communicate with are the criminals in our fine society that you and I see every day. They look just like you and I, they eat like us, sound like us, and for all intents and purposes...do not have any distinguishing characteristics. I have spotted them on several occasions and after eye contact is made, and they notice that I am prepared to defend myself, they usually leave the area quick-time. Maybe they think I am a LEO.

The other group I like to attract the attention of are law-abiding citizens like you and I that have a legitimate question regarding lawful carry. I have had a few dozen folks start up a conversation in check-out lines, etc. and ask about lawful carry. They had an interest and we talked for a few moments. Never had anyone ask me anything like that while carrying concealed...because they didn't know I was carrying!

Spread the good word.

And my favorite group that I enjoy attracting the attention of...the sheeple. The ones that are bouncing around with their children, heads in the clouds, believing it "always happens to the other guys", etc. Now they notice a "man with a gun" is just a few feet away from them. The huddle their children around and use them as shields. Fumbling for their cellular phones... Wait - this phone is of no use, if that man is a bad man, he could do us harm, right here, right now, Jesus...what are we to do!?!

Maybe, just maybe, some of those folks look at life a bit different after that. Maybe they take a more aggressive approach to protecting their family. Maybe this is a life changing event for some of them. Who knows?

All I know is that lawfully armed men are polite, honorable, and prepared to defend life right here, right now. There is no problem with open carry nor should there be. It is gentlemanly.

And finally, the final group I enjoy the attention of...the female of the species. My wife has told me of a few of her friends that consider it attractive to see a man with a gun, prepared to protect his family. A very attractive clerk at a local hardware store even made me blush one afternoon when she was quite vocal about "how sexy" I looked with that gun hanging on my hip.

Yep, I like the attention - I spread the good news.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

I can see you're proud of your "accomplishments".

Here are some other things you have also accomplished.

1. The Bad guys in your hood know you own guns.
    2. Some probably know what you drive.
    3. Some know where you live.
    4. Some of the bolder ones know where to ambush you
    and relieve you of your gun.

Hope you have a long life , but i won't bet money on it......
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

We all have to make our own decisions

I live in Northern Virginia. I have VA, PA and NH permits and I carry concealed most often.

I am an NRA certified pistol instructor and teach with a volunteer group in NoVa. After each class, we normally go to dinner together. In VA, you MUST carry open if you are in an establishment that is licensed to sell liquor for consumption on the premises.

We have never had any problems. I have passed Fairfax County LEO's while carrying openly, the most response I have ever had from an officer was a discussion over why I like 1911's.

My point is that too many unenlighted people think that carrying a gun is bad; that if you carry one, you are weird. If they see responsible people carry, it forces them to rethink the issue.

I agree with everyone out there who says that concealed carry is tactically superior to open carry. But when I open carry it is for one of two reasons: 1) I am trying to show the people that responsible folk carry guns or 2) I'm hungry and just want something to eat!

I don't really care how anyone carries, I just want everyone to carry.

The only time I ever open carry is when I go hiking. Not pleasant to have a hot piece of metal on the inside of my pants while humping it up a mountain. That said, if I am staying in a shelter, it goes into the pack before I reach it. I wouldn't want someone to get a bad idea and try and steal it in the middle of the night.
    I think I would get too much attention in my town if I open carried. Get a lot of people from some of the southern (that is, everywhere south of vermont, ie jersey, mass, RI, CT) states that I feel would freak out and call the cops because "there is a man with a gun".
    I would rather people not look at me like I am crazy or be harassed. I'll stick with the idea that what people dont know makes them feel safe.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson
    Open carry just asking for trouble.I keep it concealed and safe that's
    my edge and my option.No need to let anyone know what I have even the right to open carry is there.I'll pass.
    Stetson, please provide more details on how "open carry is just asking for trouble" and cite your source of information. I fully respect your opinion along with your choice to carry concealed. Thank you for carrying. In consideration of all of the scholarly research I have performed I have yet to find a source that suggests "open carry is just asking for trouble." I would be interested in reading your source.

Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag
    Where in PA do you open carry? I'm guessing it's more rural given that you've had no trouble, but would like clarification. Thanks.
    Great question 500 - I have family in Pittsburgh and Erie and spend most of my time there. I have also visited Philadelphia, Harrisburg, State College, among other places. I have walked into court houses carrying open, checked in my firearm, and never had any problems. I have met friends in bars across from police stations, ate great wings, and drank my share of Coke...all while carrying open.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule
    I can see you're proud of your "accomplishments".

Here are some other things you have also accomplished.

1. The Bad guys in your hood know you own guns.
    2. Some probably know what you drive.
    3. Some know where you live.
    4. Some of the bolder ones know where to ambush you
    and relieve you of your gun.

Hope you have a long life , but i won't bet money on it......
    Thank you for the sarcastic reply although personal attacks only inspire me. Yes, I am very proud of my *accomplishments* and will continue. If I might ask, what have you been doing to promote lawful carry, open or concealed?

Regarding criminal psyche, let's be honest: criminals are opportunists. They pick on the weakest in the heard...the stragglers who are easy prey and are not attentive to their surroundings.

If a criminal had been stalking both you and I and had a choice of hitting either one of us with all things being equal except I carried open and you carried concealed...who do you think he would hit? History suggests that the criminal would hit the person that appeared to be unarmed and thus unable to defend themselves.

Be honest now...criminals have no desire to be involved in gun fights or risk being killed. They wish to hit an easy target, grab their loot, and go. Like all things natural...they seek the path of least resistance.

If you have any substantive information to share with me regarding open carry and criminal victimization please share - I would be interested in reading.

And yes, you are correct. Everyone around here knows I carry. And they all know that every waking moment I have a firearm on my hip...like right now, sitting here in peace and watching the news - wife on the other couch, all of our children sleeping safely upstairs.

If some transient felons kicked your front door in right now with the intent of doing harm to your family...what would you do? How far away is your firearm? I can close my eyes, be turned upside down, kicked in the face, and still know where exactly where mine is.

I open carry on occassion simply due to weather conditions moreso than wanting or needing attention.

I have only had one person make a comment on the gun.

I work in a pawn shop in an obviously not so good part of town. Not the worst, but if my car broke down there at night, I would be on the phone for a ride out ASAP. I want the people in that area to know that I am and willing to use it if need be.

One morning before I went in to the building, I went over to the gas station for a can of dip. The store was busy, and I had to go to the back of the store in order to get in line. I made casual small talk with a couple of people, Good mornings and such.

I was just about the next person to be waited on when the guy beside me said "What are you doing with a gun?"

I calmly turned to him and said "I'm just taking it for a walk." and went about my business. I heard a snicker and turned to the woman standing about 4 feet away who was obviously tickled by my response and winked and smiled at her, paid for my purchase and went about my day. Never thought much about it after that.

Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj
    One morning before I went in to the building, I went over to the gas station for a can of dip. The store was busy, and I had to go to the back of the store in order to get in line. I made casual small talk with a couple of people, Good mornings and such.

I was just about the next person to be waited on when the guy beside me said "What are you doing with a gun?"

I calmly turned to him and said "I'm just taking it for a walk." and went about my business.

Awesome!! Hope you don't mind if I borrow that one...
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

I calmly turned to him and said "I'm just taking it for a walk." and went about my business.

I could open carry here in NH but I don't: too close to the MA border and all the associated daytripping Massholes fainting at the sight of a gun

When would I open carry?, hiking and riding my bicycle in the woods with a holster that holds the firearms away from my body and provides better retention than an IWB.
    First rule of a gunfight: Carry a gun

Hi All,
    I sometimes carry open. As I have been carring for awhile it is very natural to me to have the gun on my side. Therefor I don't fidget with it, adjust it (unless absolutly needed),or even "elbow" it.

Most people that do notice it seem to assume I am PD or something and just go on about their business. If asked If I am PD I tellthem no and go on. No I do not have one of the CCW badges LOL.

Be safe and aware.
    Corbett

That's Funny

I open carry on occassion simply due to weather conditions moreso than wanting or needing attention.

I have only had one person make a comment on the gun.

I work in a pawn shop in an obviously not so good part of town. Not the worst, but if my car broke down there at night, I would be on the phone for a ride out ASAP. I want the people in that area to know that I am and willing to use it if need be.

I calmly turned to him and said "I'm just taking it for a walk." and went about my business. I heard a snicker and turned to the woman standing about 4 feet away who was obviously tickled by my response and winked and smiled at her, paid for my purchase and went about my day. Never thought much about it after that.
    "I'm just taking it for a walk."
    -That's a good one - mind if I use it?

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova
    "I'm just taking it for a walk."
    -That's a good one - mind if I use it?
    Have a ball. All are welcome to it. Just remember royalties.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links