Open carry for attention?

This is a discussion on Open carry for attention? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Correct me if am wrong, but it would seem to me that a lot of non-LEO citizens around here, that open carry do it for ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open carry for attention?

Correct me if am wrong, but it would seem to me that a lot of non-LEO citizens around here, that open carry do it for the attention, that most the time seems to attract negative attention. I was in a gun store when this kid pulls up in a “fast and furious” style Honda civic pulls up, with a HI-TECH 9mm in a shoulder rig (probably cost more then the gun) walks in, looks around, the whole time fumbling around with the holster, looking around to see if anyone notices him

DC Founder
    Before I got my permit, I carried openly. Not normally on me, but plainly visible in the seat next to me. I carried it on me once and felt so "on display" I never did it again.

It sounds to me like the kid you saw was trying to impress everyone for the attention. I can honestly count on one hand the number of times I have seen someone open carrying in Arizona (other than at a range) and one of them was pretty similar to the one you described. I'll carry concealed and keep the spotlight off myself....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Not the kind of attention I want. A member of another forum has a CCW, but would open carry getting gas, partly because of Ohio's stupid requirement for CCW holders to open-carry in cars. He was very recently arrested as a result. It appears to me (and just about everyone else on the forum) that unless he's leaving a lot out, the ordinance he was arrested under was preempted by the state CCW. Even if he's innocent, he's most likely going to have to go through hell.

Sounds like "bullet magnet" type of attention is what he'll eventually end up with.
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

during the summer:

Here in Louisiana, it gets pretty hot and humid.

I open carry during the summer months. I use a Galco Fletch II holster, right hip.

I have never been given any 'negative' attention. Louisiana is an open carry state, although in my phone contacts with various police agencies, they seem eager to harass anyone seen openly carrying a firearm. The Louisiana state police confirms it is legal, and when I spoke to the attourney general and district attourney's office, they both confirmed that open carry in a holster is indeed legal.

Now, I wouldn't to it to attract attention. I put the holster on, put my gun in it, then I don't touch it again until I get home.

The way you dress probably has something to do with it, as I always make sure I look professional when I'm carrying, and I chose my holster carefully. I keep it polished and shiny, and I keep my personal appearance neat.

I personally think open carry is a good thing. The only reason that some people are subversive about open carry guns is because they're not accustomed to actually seeing people wearing sidearms.

At a carwash place, I noticed another guy packing a Ruger P95. The gentlemen next to me started this tirade about people wearing guns. He was sitting on a bench right next to me. I just looked at him, smiled, informed him that open carry was legal in Louisiana, and pointed at my holster.

He said "oh...I didnt even notice that" and I replied "most people don't"

VIP Member
    40S&WMan,

That case sounds like he was looking for attention.

I have on occassion open carried. In VA like many other states you can be charged with disturbing the peace if you actually handle or do something with your gun that causes public fear. Of course other charges apply there as well. In one case last year a couple young gents were arrested and their guns confiscated for open carry. They were ultimately released, their guns eventually returned and state wide police training was initiated. It seems that 60+% of LEOs in VA didn't know about or understand the open carry provisions in the law.

Another quirk is that if I want to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol in VA I must open carry. So I have certainly done it in public places and without incident in my case.

-Scott-

Theres always a small percentage who want attn .. ya know the ones who like to pull out there ccw and such

the main problem with the fools that do it only for attention is that they give the REST of us that are responsible open-carriers a bad reputation.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    There are individuals that have an addiction to attention everywhere you go. If a person's body language demonstrates that, I make every effort not to let them see me look in their direction.
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Open Carry

There has been quite an increase in the number of open carry sightings in VA. I have carried openly on ocasion as well. Alot of people don't carry for attention, but for convience and comfort. I have my CHP, but still carry open once in a while. I find that the public is fairly ignorant of the fact that a gun is in their vicinity.

I have seen people who act like you describe. Those are the type of people that you just quietly move away from. I understand the adjustment of a rig ocasionally, but playing with one for attention is going to bring the wrong type.

The gun is a tool there to serve, not intimidate, not threaten, not boast. Open carry is required in VA if going to a restaraunt that has an ABC on license. Open carry is also legal for anyone who can own a gun in VA. I think that it does some good for people to know that there are those out there willing to stand up for themselves and have the means to do it. OC also provides chances for public education on gun laws and impressions.

I have a few family members that are verry skiddish around people carrying firearms because they have never been exposed to them in a public settings before. I think that the more people are exposed the more a firearm is demystified. My personal opinion is that the more positive exposure the public has to firearms, the less sheepish they will be.

It sometimes amazes me the number of gun myths and misconceptions that abound in this day and age. A majority are perpetuated in the media and entertainment Only through education can these be corrected.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I open carry when working on the ranch. However I just consider it polite to ccw when around people and cover it up when I come back to town.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    Sure seems like the guy being described was feeding his ''macho'' mania.

That yanks my chain as almost for sure, that type of person also looks the part they are playing - stupid!! That then feeds back on responsible folks negatively IMO.

I have zero problem with anyone who chooses open carry - as long as they deport themselves properly, as described by CrashVector. PA is one of those states where open carry is not illegal on the statutes - ergo it is legal - BUT! - I do not see it often and the sheep will bleat rather too easily in crowded areas methinks!

I do tho freely carry open in and around my property - and if someone sees I am not going to be concerned - but beyond that then it is concealed and only concealed (except at shooting club of course!).
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 40S&WMAN
    I was in a gun store when this kid pulls up in a “fast and furious” style Honda civic pulls up, with a HI-TECH 9mm in a shoulder rig (probably cost more then the gun) walks in, looks around, the whole time fumbling around with the holster, looking around to see if anyone notices him
    I will guarantee that if he walked into the gun stores I frequent and started fumbling around with the holster someone would have noticed him. At least three people would have been tracking him and all three would have had their hands resting on their weapon. The last time I was in a particular gun store in Birmingham a man walked in with a range bag and started looking around. The employee who was dealing with me continued to talk, but his eyes tracked the man like radar and his right hand moved slowly to a position right in front of his Sig P229. The man with the range bag called out to another employee and the other employee started talking to him. In a couple of minutes the second employee called the one I was talking to over and introduced the man with the bag. The employee I was talking to shook hands with the guy and said that he hoped his tracking had not caused the guy any discomfort. The man with the bag said no and that he knew that the employee was only doing his job. After that I watched and noticed each employee watched everyone who came through the door up until they were engaged in conversation with an employee or they left. They don't mind people browsing, but they will watch every move you make.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Well, as much as people hate it..appearances DO matter.

As glad as I am to see other people open carrying in Louisiana, if I see someone wearing a wife-beater t-shirt with baggy pants and a skull cap on, I'm going to be wary of them...and doubly so if I see they have a gun.

I picked my particular holster because it is a 'dress' holster in Havana brown (kind of Cordovan colored) that takes a good shine if you use shoe polish on it.

If someone happens to notice I have a gun, the mere fact that I A)take the time to polish my holster and B) the fact that I dont look like a thug; probably makes a difference.

carrying a firearm for protection is a big responsibility...and one I do not take lightly. I am careful about my appearance when I am carrying, ESPECIALLY when I am open carrying. I want to look professional, responsible, and educated when I am openly carrying. I wear either a good pair of jeans, or preferably slacks, with a Polo t-shirt or other dressier-than-normal type of short-sleeved shirt. I even make sure the shoes I am wearing are clean and polished if applicable.

This goes a LONG way to leaving a postitive impression on someone that may notice my gun. "He looks responsible, not like I'd expect from someone that carries a gun" is what I hope my appearance makes them think.

We have a problem around where I live of "rednecks" that dress like trash toting guns around, and then wondering why people are wary of them. My brother-in-law is one of those people, and it infuriates me because I realize what kind of impression that leaves on people.

I know this is long-winded, but I thought it was important. After all, if you open carry, you are displaying your gun in public. Do all of us a favor and at LEAST make youself look presentable so that you dont inadvertantly leave a bad impression on somone that was maybe 'on the fence' about supporting people's right to carry firearms for protection.

right on CrashVector

The only time I open carry is out in the desert or on the range, I know it is my right to open carry, I believe concealment is the wiser choice. It not worth the risk of some ignorant person calling the police with “man with a gun”

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links