VA "No Gun Signs" Do They have any standards?

This is a discussion on VA "No Gun Signs" Do They have any standards? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DaveH All 18.2-308 O says is that a CHP "shall not thereby authorize". IMHO, whatever is constructed from that is not ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VA "No Gun Signs" Do They have any standards?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    All 18.2-308 O says is that a CHP "shall not thereby authorize". IMHO, whatever is constructed from that is not unlike, "Appropriate Attire Required" or "No wet bathing suits" and any trespass charges that might follow.

There is no crime defined in 18.2-308 O as there is in, say, 18.2-308.1 et al -- e.g. "he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor" or "he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony;.
    As I understand it the penalty for violation of Virginia's concealed carry of a weapon statute is found in 18.2-308 A.

2. Remove Ads

No standard signage....ignore until asked to leave. Open carry in restaurants that serve alcohol is perfectly legal. If asked to leave, ask "So you don't want my money? because my wallet is attached to my holster..."
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    As I understand it the penalty for violation of Virginia's concealed carry of a weapon statute is found in 18.2-308 A.
    How does 18.2-308 A apply to 18.2-308 O which only says that a CHP "shall not thereby authorize" w/o defining a violation. IMHO, trespass is not a "violation of this section."

IMHO, any subsequent charge of trespass is covered in 18.2-119 not 18.2-308 , hence not a violation of any part of 18.2-308.

See:
    18.2-119 Trespass after having been forbidden to do so; penalties.

If any person without authority of law goes upon or remains upon the lands, buildings or premises of another, or any portion or area thereof, after having been forbidden to do so, either orally or in writing, by the owner, lessee, custodian or other person lawfully in charge thereof, or after having been forbidden to do so by a sign or signs posted by such persons or by the holder of any easement or other right-of-way authorized by the instrument creating such interest to post such signs on such lands, structures, premises or portion or area thereof at a place or places where it or they may be reasonably seen, or if any person, whether he is the owner, tenant or otherwise entitled to the use of such land, building or premises, goes upon, or remains upon such land, building or premises after having been prohibited from doing so by a court of competent jurisdiction by an order issued pursuant to 16.1-253, 16.1-253.1, 16.1-253.4, 16.1-278.2 through 16.1-278.6, 16.1-278.8, 16.1-278.14, 16.1-278.15, 16.1-279.1, 19.2-152.8, 19.2-152.9 or 19.2-152.10 or an ex parte order issued pursuant to 20-103, and after having been served with such order, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. This section shall not be construed to affect in any way the provisions of 18.2-132 through 18.2-136.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I carried in my bank several times before I saw the small(less than half dollar size) revolver with circle and bar across it, posted on the inner door at slightly below my waist level, and I'm only just over 5'9' tall. For a tall person, this might be at near knee level. We should have a standard format for such signs, but if the Va house manage to pass one, Emperor/Senator Marsh would kill it in his "death star sub-committee"

In Mississippi, according to "http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/mississippi.pdf"

"In addition to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a concealed pistol or revolver
    may be disallowed in anyplace in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the
    physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not
    less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited."

Although I've only been carrying for a few months, I have yet to see a sign like this in a business in Mississippi. I find myself searching for one upon entering a business. I could have missed a sign but I'm also assuming the phrase "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited" would be located at or near the entrance. It doesn't say where the business has to place the sign.

In WV there is not a standard for signs. Any size, color is valid.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links