Suits and ccw?

This is a discussion on Suits and ccw? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I apologize in advance if this topic has already been discussed. Easter is fast approaching again and I am going to wear a suit for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suits and ccw?

Suits and ccw?

I apologize in advance if this topic has already been discussed. Easter is fast approaching again and I am going to wear a suit for the first time since I started to ccw. My questions are as follows: First, which will work better for my ccw choice: Sub-compact Glocks or snub nose revolvers? Secondly, which mode of carry will work best with suits(I usually just carry while jeans, a loose fitting shirt or sweater). Holster/suit suggestions are welcome.

2. Remove Ads

Doesn't matter what weapon that you carry, as long as it's in a SuperTuck.

With a proper belt and the SuperTuck you should be able to conceal anything. If you tuck in, your shirt blouses and covers even the longest grips of a 1911.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I dont wear suits all that often, but I wear a khaki blazer with jeans alot. I usually carry in an OWB holster under the jacket.

I'd say a snubbie in a tuckable IWB...preferably a supertuck. I find that the glocks, xd's n such are a bit blocky....at least the way mine is set up. The brickless shape of the snubby should conceal best. IMO

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Best piece of advice I can give, get your suit out and your holsters and firearms and experiment like mad before going out.Try them all on and get a mirror or a friend to help check for printing and ease of draw. Then just walk around the house sit down and such and move, learn by doing, it works wonders for you.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

A Sparks VM2 and a Gov. model 1911.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I tried the G26 IWB with a tucked shirt and a suit jacket once, and it just didn't work. I had to leave the jacket on the whole time because with it off there was a giant visible bulge, no matter what I did with the shirt.

Your mileage may vary. It depends a lot on your body shape.

I suggest pocket carry, smartcarry, or something similar.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I'd say go with the snubbie in a pocket holster. I have to wear shirt and tie most days, and this works perfectly for me. Also, I use supertuck on occasion, and does work great with shirt/tie; but for the amount of dis-arming I have to do during the day, it's much quicker/easier to go with the pocket snubbie.
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    A snub nose in my pocket work great with my suits. Sometimes depending on were I'm going, I would carry my M&P9c in my pocket also.

Plus I always felt that a snub nose looked better when wearing a suit too lol
    Last edited by Knightrider; March 28th, 2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Add last line
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

With a jacket I use a Comp-tac paddle. Very comfortable. Think ahead; will you take off the jacket at anytime?

Walther PPK in .32 ACP, a shoulder holster, and a white tuxedo with a black bow tie. And don't forget your license to kill...I mean carry a concealed weapon lol. *Bah duh duh da bah dah dah* Sorry, I can't help you since I have 0 experience carrying and never wear a suit.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

I wear suits and sports jackets fairly often and find that they're great for concealed carry. I don't think you'll have any problem with the subbie or the compact as long as you mind the fact that a decent breeze can blow the jacket back and expose your gun. IWB or OWB will both work fine.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    When I don a suit it is usually accompanied by my Taurus TCP in a pocket holster. Alternatively I can tuck my IWB with my Springfield XD9sc, though since buying the TCP I do this a lot less frequently.

So I guess my advice would be snubby in a pocket holster.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I usually just wear with an IWB with the shirt tucked under the holster. If I think that I might need to take the suit jacket off at some point (e.g, I'm outdoors for part of the occasion that I'm dressed up for), then I'll just pocket carry instead. Both approaches have worked very well for me in the past.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    This is really more about the hoster than the gun. A good tuckable (Supertuck) will take care of you jacket on or off.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links