need help from Indiana residents

This is a discussion on need help from Indiana residents within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I might be going to Indianapolis next weekend and I was wondering if someone can give me an overview on the carry laws for IN. ...

Thread: need help from Indiana residents

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar

Question need help from Indiana residents

I might be going to Indianapolis next weekend and I was wondering if
    someone can give me an overview on the carry laws for IN.

I have my handgun carry permit from TN and the only thing I have been able to verify is that IN does recognize TN permits.

I will be carrying my p238 in my pocket so concealment will be easy.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Indiana is one of the most gun friendly states around and has very good (read non-restrictive) laws on CCW. Also they recognize ALL other states' CCW license. Check them out on
    Handgunlaw.us for more info.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Shouldn't have any problems as long as you pay attention to restrictions like court houses and schools, etc............or end up in Chicago

Welcome you and your firearm to come to Indiana.
    Very few restrictions here, and we have a "Castle Law" that extends to you automobile and anywhere you legal to be.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

More Information

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    Very few restrictions here, and we have a "Castle Law" that extends to you automobile and anywhere you legal to be.
    Gun Bunny, I am new to Indiana recently moved from Kalifornistan. Where can I get more information on the Castle Law, I already read handgun law.us but looking for more.
    Gotta love lifetime permits!
    Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware.

How can you praise freedom, and condemn that which gains and preserves it?

SECTION 1. IC 35-41-3-2 IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2006]: Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; only and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.
    (b) A person:
    (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person; and
    if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, or curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.

(c) With respect to property other than a dwelling, or curtilage, or an occupied motor vehicle, a person is justified in using reasonable force against another person if the person reasonably believes that the
    force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully in the person's possession, lawfully in possession of a member of the person's immediate family, or belonging to a person whose property the person has authority to protect. However, a person:
    (1) is not justified in using deadly force; unless and
    only if that force is justified under subsection (a).
    (d) A person is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person and does not have a duty to retreat if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or stop the other person from hijacking, attempting to hijack, or otherwise seizing or attempting to seize unlawful control of an aircraft in flight. For purposes of this subsection, an aircraft is considered to be in flight while the aircraft is:
    (1) on the ground in Indiana:
    (A) after the doors of the aircraft are closed for takeoff; and
    (B) until the aircraft takes off;
    (2) in the airspace above Indiana; or
    (3) on the ground in Indiana:
    (A) after the aircraft lands; and
    (B) before the doors of the aircraft are opened after landing.
    (e) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (b), and (c), a person is not justified in using force if:
    (1) the person is committing or is escaping after the commission of a crime;
    (2) the person provokes unlawful action by another person with intent to cause bodily injury to the other person; or
    (3) the person has entered into combat with another person or is the initial aggressor unless the person withdraws from the encounter and communicates to the other person the intent to do so and the other person nevertheless continues or threatens to continue unlawful action.
    (f) Notwithstanding subsection (d), a person is not justified in using force if the person:
    (1) is committing, or is escaping after the commission of, a crime;
    (2) provokes unlawful action by another person, with intent to cause bodily injury to the other person; or
    (3) continues to combat another person after the other person withdraws from the encounter and communicates the other person's intent to stop hijacking, attempting to hijack, or otherwise seizing or attempting to seize unlawful control of an aircraft in flight.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm

Welcome to a "Free" State! The way I understand it is that you can protect yourself or someone else anywhere you are legal to be.
    Your "Castle" extends to your land, and your vehicle if you are in it (you can not protect property with "deadly-force").
    Which means if you are in your car and someone tries to gain access you can use deadly-force because they are showing intent to harm.
    Also if you do have to use deadly-force and it is "justified", then you will not fear of being sued from the assailant or the family.
    It would be good if your local police give self protection classes like they do here, that way you would get additional training and you can ask lots of questions like I did. If not, go to the local PD or Sheriff's office and speak to someone that is knowledgeable in these matters.
    Enjoy this wonderful State(lived in Maryland for ten years so I know restrictive States).
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Durhamgoat View Post
    Gun Bunny, I am new to Indiana recently moved from Kalifornistan. Where can I get more information on the Castle Law, I already read handgun law.us but looking for more.
    Gotta love lifetime permits!
    Yes, lifetime permit
    For good general info on Indiana's handgun laws consider buying this book:
    Amazon.com: Indiana Handgun Law (9780978627690): Bryan Lee Ciyou: Books
    Also look here for lots of good info (use search) on Indiana's laws:
    INGunOwners - Indiana Gun Owners Community

Links