Confused and need advice

Confused and need advice

This is a discussion on Confused and need advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I have held my TX chl for three yrs now. Recently, I was accepted to grad school in Seattle WA. I will be moving ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused and need advice

Hi,

I have held my TX chl for three yrs now. Recently, I was accepted to grad school in Seattle WA.

I will be moving to Seattle and renting a room. My wife will be staying behind for a year so I have no reason to change address or become a resident until then. However, it seems that in WA after 30 days you are required to have a WA drivers license and register you vehicle.

I'm going to be going back and forth to TX and WA. I don't want to be left without a permit in either place. I can apply for a non resident WA permit, but I don't think I will be within the limits of the law if I am living in WA. I also don't want to lose my TX chl because if I do I won't be able to carry while in TX.

Any ideas/suggestions???

Thanks

The only way you are going to know for sure is to check the WA laws. Most states have exceptions for full time students and military so far as DL and vehicle registration goes.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

The advice that oldogy gave you is right on. Be advised that Seattle is in King County which is where you should check. Start by checking on the internet at the King County site. Note that the mayor of Seattle is really anti gun so pay attention to that which Seattle is up to when it comes to guns.
    http://www.kingcounty.gov/safety/she...vices/Gun.aspx
    Last edited by dairycreek; March 29th, 2010 at 07:59 PM.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

You will be traveling back and forth and will not be spending 30 concessive days in the state of WA right? Correct!!!

Check out this link WA State Licensing: Moving? Get WA license

By law, you have 30 days to get your Washington driver license once you establish residency in Washington State.

How to establish residency in Washington

You are considered a resident when you do any of the following:

Arrive in Washington and begin establishing a home in the state.
    Register to vote.
    Receive state benefits.
    Apply for any state license.
    Seek in-state tuition fees.

drivers@dol.wa.gov (360) 902-3900

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    You will be traveling back and forth and will not be spending 30 concessive days in the state of WA right? Correct!!!

Check out this link WA State Licensing: Moving? Get WA license

By law, you have 30 days to get your Washington driver license once you establish residency in Washington State.

How to establish residency in Washington

You are considered a resident when you do any of the following:

Arrive in Washington and begin establishing a home in the state.
    Register to vote.
    Receive state benefits.
    Apply for any state license.
    Seek in-state tuition fees.

drivers@dol.wa.gov (360) 902-3900

Yep, as far as they know, you are going back to Tx every 2 or 3 weeks to spend time at home with your wife and family.

That would be my story, and I'd stick with it.

It's not uncommon for construction workers to have to travel out of State for extended periods of time for work. As an electrician with IBEW my dad often did that. He worked in NYC for about a year and a half and never had to establish residency in New York.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    It is complicated. Yes, you probably are required to change your DL when in WA for more than 30 days. Maybe, there is an exception for students.

Where it gets really wild is Texas honors the WA CHL. The opposite is not true, at least the last I checked about a year or so ago.

I think you can not carry in WA with your Texas CHL.

OTOH, if you have a WA DL and a WA CHL, you are good to go in Texas.

So maybe the best thing to do is in fact establish yourself with WA credentials the whole way.

Of course the way the crazy law works right now, if you stay in TX more than 30 days while off from school in WA, you need to get a TX DL AND CHL again.

This is one of those pain in the back end issues that has bothered millions of people over many many decades. It was a problem when I attended school 40 years ago-- not regarding CHL, but DL and frequent moves, and it continues to be a problem.

Needed desperately is a big time update and some "federalization" of the issue as lots of folks lead nomadic lives. What we do now simply doesn't work well.

People should be allowed to designate a home state of residence based on any of the following: where they were born; where they graduated from HS; where they graduated from College; or where they were discharged from the military. They should be allowed to keep that forever, for tax purposes and DL/CHL purposes, unless they willingly change the designation after living somewhere else for at least one full year.

Literally millions of people would be saved a lot of difficulty and confusion with a little real "common sense" law making. It won't happen. So we are stuck.
    Forget about "one nation." We are still living with structures that worked well in 1790 but don't fit our modern mode of nomadic living.

Get a Utah Non-resident CCL Permit..

I live in NM. I just applied for UT and NM.
    UT will get you WA, TX and everything around here except CA, NV or OR. Watch out for CO though if you pass through but you will be Ok as long as you can produce a permit and drivers license from the same state.

You are not making Washington your residence, no residency. There for, you wont have to change anything. Any LEO that pulls you over for any reason will ask you about your plates and regs, but wont write you anything. We have students all the time from different parts of the country here for school that stay for 4-7 years! Its not your "home of record." Dont stress it.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    You are not making Washington your residence, no residency. There for, you wont have to change anything. Any LEO that pulls you over for any reason will ask you about your plates and regs, but wont write you anything. We have students all the time from different parts of the country here for school that stay for 4-7 years! Its not your "home of record." Dont stress it.
    So you think getting a non resident permit will do until my wife moves to WA and we settle in????

I will be going to Seattle soon to look for a room and will be sure to stop by King County Sheriffs dept. I called already, but want to be extra sure of the information given.

VIP Member

re: Avenger

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    You are not making Washington your residence, no residency. Dont stress it.
    He is not making WA his residence, but WA law is making him Washington's resident. Once there 30 days, unless there is a specific student exemption, he must get a WA DL. And if he plans to have guns shipped to him in WA, he will need a WA CHL because they DO NOT reciprocate with Texas.

Will he get bothered during an ordinary traffic stop? Possibly not.

But it isn't that simple. His auto insurance company could disavow their coverage from his TX policy if he gets into an accident and they determine he should have changed DL, registration, and insurance to the new state.

I realize this is an area where folks are forced to "wing it" and hope for the best, but following the law is best, even if inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    He is not making WA his residence, but WA law is making him Washington's resident. Once there 30 days, unless there is a specific student exemption, he must get a WA DL. And if he plans to have guns shipped to him in WA, he will need a WA CHL because they DO NOT reciprocate with Texas.

Will he get bothered during an ordinary traffic stop? Possibly not.

But it isn't that simple. His auto insurance company could disavow their coverage from his TX policy if he gets into an accident and they determine he should have changed DL, registration, and insurance to the new state.

I realize this is an area where folks are forced to "wing it" and hope for the best, but following the law is best, even if inconvenient.
    More barracks lawyers......

Your state of residency is a fluid concept. My wife and I live/work in three states. We have property in two states, but call one our "state of residence" because of favorable tax laws. We have tags, licenses, CHPs, and our mail sent to that address. We actually spend more time in the other states, but don't record them as our residence.

My wife was once hassled by a couple local LEOs during a traffic stop, but she knows what to say: I'm just visiting.

The reason ANY state has some arcane law demanding you become a "resident" is so they can extort tax money from you. Most of these laws were written when people travelled across country by ox cart. Now with our mobile workforce, technology workers, and people who work from home, the concept of state residence is an anachronism.

How do you think your Congresscritter handles this? Do you think they gladly hand over their income to DC/VA/MD even though they spend most of their time in one of these jurisdictions and most likely have a fine home in one of these three taxing entities? Hell, no. They consider Florida, Texas, or wherever "home", and pay the lower taxes in those states.

If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. I also have a great tax attorney.
    Last edited by MadMac; March 30th, 2010 at 12:40 PM.

seattle gun laws

Maybe i can help you with a room ,I live in seattle now sent me a message and i have a cc for wa and know were to sent you

Hey guys, thanks for the the advice and suggestions. Seems like there is a lot of gray area.

As I said before I'm going to visit WA soon and will stop by King county Sheriff dept. and get a feel for what they have to say.

I share it with you guys with I get back.

A few good things to note about Washington (and Seattle specifically.)

1. Washington is technically an open carry state, but the law is a little unclear as you can't carry in a way where someone perceives it as threatening. That gives a LOT of latitude to other's perceptions. I would generally avoid pressing the issue, especially in Seattle where people are even afraid of the rain.

2. Seattle has a ban on carrying on city property including parks. This was recenty held to be consistent with the 2nd amendment but unenforceable because of Washington State's preemption clause. The jury is still out, but the bottom line is that if you're carrying concealed and someone "makes you" in a city park, the cops may come and can ask you to leave. Your refusal enables them to trespass you. As always, at the end of the day it's a personal decision and you'll want to check to make sure ANY info you read is still current.

3. If you're in a traffic stop and conceal carrying (with a proper license, of course) - you're not required to declare your possesion of a CPL and firearm unless/until you are asked to exit your vehicle. If an officer asks you to do so remain calm, keep your hands visible, and note to the officer that you have a Concealed Pistol License, are currently armed, and want to make sure there are no surprises. Following that up with "what would you like for me to do?" or "how would you like me to proceed?" are good ways to keep from getting hastled/shot. It goes without saying that staying calm and moving slow are important.

4. I know there are various smokehouses in Texas (like Salt Lick out of Austin) that will pack and ship meats like brisket.

Welcome to Seattle for the time being!

Welcome.
    drop a line when you get here.

we will make it a group lunch or something...
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links